Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:05 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

What a week! Two new foods I’ve never heard of...Cool Whey and Quark. I’m about to try the Quark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What a week! Two new foods I’ve never heard of...Cool Whey and Quark. I’m about to try the Quark.
I tried it, didn't like it at all. I do like the Skyr yogurt a lot.

Halo Top Ice Cream...OMG! The guy who invented it is my hero. So far, there's only 1 I tried that I didn't like, and I think it's because it somehow got re-frozen. The other ones have been great. So far, Caramel Macchiato, Mint, Salted Caramel and PB (just had half a pint of that one) have been outrageously delicious!

There are some flavors I won't bother trying, like Birthday Cake, but there are quite a few I want to try. I am back to watching what I eat and having this helps me feel I can do this for the long haul. My only issue is, I can easily eat a half gallon of ice cream, so eating a pint of it is like taking candy from a baby. But at least, if I eat the entire pint, it's not going to break the calorie bank for the day.

If you've tried Halo, what is your favorite flavor? What flavors do you like/dislike. I'm between the mint and the PB as being my favorite, just can't pick which yet.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I tried it, didn't like it at all. I do like the Skyr yogurt a lot.

Halo Top Ice Cream...OMG! The guy who invented it is my hero. So far, there's only 1 I tried that I didn't like, and I think it's because it somehow got re-frozen. The other ones have been great. So far, Caramel Macchiato, Mint, Salted Caramel and PB (just had half a pint of that one) have been outrageously delicious!

There are some flavors I won't bother trying, like Birthday Cake, but there are quite a few I want to try. I am back to watching what I eat and having this helps me feel I can do this for the long haul. My only issue is, I can easily eat a half gallon of ice cream, so eating a pint of it is like taking candy from a baby. But at least, if I eat the entire pint, it's not going to break the calorie bank for the day.

If you've tried Halo, what is your favorite flavor? What flavors do you like/dislike. I'm between the mint and the PB as being my favorite, just can't pick which yet.
You tried Cool Whey or quark? I don't even know what quark is.

I'm so envious of all the flavors that you get with Halo Top. Cool Whey is great but with so few flavor choices.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You tried Cool Whey or quark? I don't even know what quark is.

I'm so envious of all the flavors that you get with Halo Top. Cool Whey is great but with so few flavor choices.
I tried the quark, can't remember what brand. I don't know what it was about it, just didn't like it and wouldn't try it again. If you haven't tried the Skyr (vanilla is my fav) give it a try. It's thicker than Greek yogurt.

Publix Supermarket had Halo on sale last week. The store I went to didn't have but 1 of the flavors I wanted, so I got a rain check for 8 pints! That's okay, I need some time to make room in my freezer for all of them!

One thing about Halo, when you buy it, it's hard as a rock, but they will soften up quite quickly so if you have a long drive home, try to keep them as cold as possible.

I love all the flavor options they have too. I heard on TV that Halo is opening a brick and mortar store somewhere in the near future. The owner said he started all this just with a ice cream maker at home. I should have been so lucky, and smart!

Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 AM

Quark is supposedly more like cheese that yogurt. It has more protein than yogurt. It tastes sort of like yogurt. It was just ok.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I tried the quark, can't remember what brand. I don't know what it was about it, just didn't like it and wouldn't try it again. If you haven't tried the Skyr (vanilla is my fav) give it a try. It's thicker than Greek yogurt.

Publix Supermarket had Halo on sale last week. The store I went to didn't have but 1 of the flavors I wanted, so I got a rain check for 8 pints! That's okay, I need some time to make room in my freezer for all of them!

One thing about Halo, when you buy it, it's hard as a rock, but they will soften up quite quickly so if you have a long drive home, try to keep them as cold as possible.

I love all the flavor options they have too. I heard on TV that Halo is opening a brick and mortar store somewhere in the near future. The owner said he started all this just with a ice cream maker at home. I should have been so lucky, and smart!
Good for you with the 8 pints!! You need to make room in your freezer and in your tummy!

Same with the CoolWhey being hard as a rock and then softens up PDQ. Maybe it's the science of proteins?

He started it with an ice cream maker at home?!?! AMAZING!!!! I should have been so lucky and smart too. (I have that thought every time someone comes out with something incredible. "I should have thought of that. And yet... I didn't.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Quark is supposedly more like cheese that yogurt. It has more protein than yogurt. It tastes sort of like yogurt. It was just ok.
While cheese is my happy food, I have yogurt maybe three times per year. I lost the point that I was trying to make... so I'll just say ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM, WE ALL WANT ICE CREAM!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Behind Halo Top ice cream's low-calorie success

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/halo-to...ecipe-success/

Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Behind Halo Top ice cream's low-calorie success

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/halo-to...ecipe-success/
That's crazy awesome! Thanks for sharing.

And he's crazy cute too!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Tried 2 more flavors. Actually just finished eating the MINT CHIP - Awesome!!! Delicious!!!! Tried the Oatmeal Cookie flavor last week, like the flavor, wasn't too crazy about the pieces of oatmeal in it. Maybe if they'd been toasted, but I didn't like the slightly chewy texture of it.

Still more flavors to try!!!!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 AM

I just tried Halo Top Cookies and Cream. It just tasted and looked like vanilla bean, but it was still good. I have Chocolate and Birthday Cake in the freezer.

My typical serving is about 1/3 of the container, so about 100 calories. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink