Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 03:48 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Crockpot food, to me, is usually mushy and bland.
Depends on what it is.. I haven't really found a crockpot dish that contains chicken that i've liked yet. And my complaints would be similar to yours.. Texture is just all wrong with it.

But, certain things.. Usually those things that you always say taste better the next day.. Chili, soups, stews, spaghetti sauce.. The long slow cook really helps them out. I haven't tried, but i'd bet that ribs might turn out really good in a slow cooker.

I make my own recipe of a dish I call "Gumbolya" in the crockpot that turns out really good. Something of a cross between Gumbo and Jambalya. Now, it does have some chicken in it, but cut up, so the texture doesn't really bother me.

And, i'll be honest, I love being able to throw things into the crock pot in the morning and when I hit that door when I get home from work, the aroma hits you and it's ready to eat.

I actually found a recipe for bananas foster in the crock pot that turned out really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
No, my meatballs are made separately, browned, then baked and added on top of the sauce.

As someone else said, with a cheap cut of meat, it is cooking for 3 plus hours.

Look up a good Sunday gravy recipe.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times
I have used my crockpot for sauce for years, can cook slow and low for hours without burning!

I make my sofrito first in a small pan and then add all the ingredients to the crock pot. I don't add meat to mine whenI make it, I add it depending on the meal since I make about 6 qts at a go...

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Depends on what it is.. I haven't really found a crockpot dish that contains chicken that i've liked yet. And my complaints would be similar to yours.. Texture is just all wrong with it.

But, certain things.. Usually those things that you always say taste better the next day.. Chili, soups, stews, spaghetti sauce.. The long slow cook really helps them out. I haven't tried, but i'd bet that ribs might turn out really good in a slow cooker.

I make my own recipe of a dish I call "Gumbolya" in the crockpot that turns out really good. Something of a cross between Gumbo and Jambalya. Now, it does have some chicken in it, but cut up, so the texture doesn't really bother me.

And, i'll be honest, I love being able to throw things into the crock pot in the morning and when I hit that door when I get home from work, the aroma hits you and it's ready to eat.

I actually found a recipe for bananas foster in the crock pot that turned out really good.
Your exactly right about the ribs. I forgot about those. I almost prefer them in the crockpot instead of an oven (smoker or grill are first choice there)... if you give them a good sear first. Chili is also good from a crockpot. That's about my limit though.

I LOVE the idea behind crockpots! I used to use them all the time in my 20's. There's NOTHING like setting the crockpot, going to work, and coming home to a house with wonderful aromas to greet you as you walk in the front door! I even graduated to using them overnight so I had fresh meals ready to bring to work with me.

But, your 20's are all about convenience. I found myself missing "real food" by the time I was 27 and started cooking everything from scratch, going back to my roots. I fell in love with the textures and the multiple layer of flavors that homemade food from scratch allows. There isn't a can of Cream of Anything in my house!

I made this soup last night. You can't soup that gorgeous, fresh or colorful in a crockpot with the same ingredients. The colors would fade, the flavors would meld into one and the veggies would be mush.

But, AGAIN, I do what works FOR ME. Crockpots are great! I've just outgrown my need/desire for one.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
It comes in a jar. Why would you put it in a crockpot?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 AM

666 posts, read 643,221 times
Absolutely not. We've tried it before and it came out with an odd burnt taste...

Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I put my spaghetti sauce in the crockpot with the meatballs (already cooked of course ) and I cook it on low all day and by the time everyone is ready to eat it is really good . I wonder how many of you cook your spaghetti sauce all day in the crockpot ? my daughter does hers that way now too .
A question just occurred to me: Are you talking about ready made spaghetti sauce in a jar (Ragu, Prego, etc.,) or homemade?

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw the posts above this one asking about jarred sauce. If you like jarred spaghetti sauce marinating some meatballs all day, I say go for it! What's it hurting? We all have some quirks for how we like some foods. Get your sauce on!

Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And, i'll be honest, I love being able to throw things into the crock pot in the morning and when I hit that door when I get home from work, the aroma hits you and it's ready to eat
This is how I feel. I especially felt that way when I was a working mom. It was great after working all day & picking up kids, to have the meal hot & ready to eat.

I STILL love my crockpot...great invention. I never had anything that I made in it come out mushy or bland, but I guess it depends on what you make. For example, beef stew, black bean turkey chili & corned beef & cabbage always came out tasting better cooked in a crockpot, IMO.

I always made my from-scratch pasta sauce in the crockpot...nowdays, we don’t eat much pasta, so no need anymore.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I don't use a crockpot anymore. Most recipes just use a crockpot to heat things up and not really cook them. By the time you dump your cans of this and that in there, all it needs is to be heated up. Yes, I know they can cook meats until they're fall apart tender but the meat comes out flavorless and without real texture this way. You can get meat fall-apart-tender on the stove or in the oven and give it better texture, dimension and depth of flavor with searing, etc.,

Crockpot food, to me, is usually mushy and bland. Of course, it's a personal preference and I can see the draw of crockpots for big families, busy people, and those who don't like to cook. I just don't fall into any of those categories and prefer food that isn't "dump and go."
I agree that things can get over-done in a crockpot. The key is to not think EVERYTHING turns out well if you give it 8 hours.

Most have a hi/lo setting that helps if you ARE going to be out all day but it doesn't need the full time on high. For example, I did ribs and they were a little TOO falling apart tender so I cut back the time by about 90 minutes and gave them 30 min. in the oven to "crisp" them up a bit at end. Sure, I'm using two appliances but it still took less tending on my part and they had great flavor.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have done this and it's good but my Husband says the taste is better cooked low all day in a big pot on the stove. I don't taste a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink