Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

I've made ganache a few times, and it doesn't solidify the way I expect it to.
might be the temperature here, or the humidity. It looks great in the fridge, but runs if left out for a few minutes.

this time, it was so runny, I doubled the chocolate, but it's still pretty liquid at room temp.

Is there a substitute?

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
What are you using it for, i.e., what is the desired thickness? It thickens when I leave it out. I never refrigerate it. Also, how much chocolate and cream are you using. I've always used Maida Heatter's recipe, which calls for 8 oz. chocolate to 1/2 c. cream. I pour it on as soon as it cools in most cakes, but you can let it thicken by just leaving it out for awhile (not refrigerated).

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...-Mothers-Cake-

I notice Martha Stewart uses twice as much cream, i.e., one cup per 8 oz. chocolate. Maybe your recipe is closer to that, and that's why it's thinner.

https://www.marthastewart.com/865175/ganache

Old 12-14-2017, 01:29 PM

The first time, I was making a tart, and the filling was ganache. I used this recipe, and had a lovely chocolate soup:
12 ounces chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

This time, I'm making cake balls. Some ganache gets mixed with the cake, more is to coat the cake. It's too soft to make a good coating, even though I added more chocolate--maybe another 6 oz--when it didn't set up well.
And I substitute depending on what's on hand, so I used milk chocolate chips and fat-free half and half.
Today's recipe:
Dark Chocolate Ganache
(yields 1 ½ cup)
3 tbsp corn syrup
6 oz heavy cream
12 oz dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
½ tsp vanilla extract

Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The first time, I was making a tart, and the filling was ganache. I used this recipe, and had a lovely chocolate soup:
12 ounces chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

This time, I'm making cake balls. Some ganache gets mixed with the cake, more is to coat the cake. It's too soft to make a good coating, even though I added more chocolate--maybe another 6 oz--when it didn't set up well.
And I substitute depending on what's on hand, so I used milk chocolate chips and fat-free half and half.
Today's recipe:
Dark Chocolate Ganache
(yields 1 ½ cup)
3 tbsp corn syrup
6 oz heavy cream
12 oz dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
½ tsp vanilla extract
How long do you wait to let your ganache set up? Here's a recipe for one made with coconut milk. There's an accompanying picture in which the ganache looks spreadably thick. Which means they waited some time for it to set up.

https://www.thespruce.com/vegan-dark...anache-1001556

I have never made ganache with vegan ingredients, half-and-half, or anything fat-free. If I were you, I would try Maida Heatter's recipe using the traditional ingredients and proportions, exactly as written, before giving up.

Ganache substitute? Actual ganache.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-14-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 06:05 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
What brand of chocolate are you using?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I've never made it with coconut milk, but I think your ratios of it are too high. If you are just looking to coat cake balls melt some chocolate and stir in some coconut oil, about a teaspoon to a pound to start to make it dippable, you can add a bit more if needed and you'll be able to dip the cake balls like a truffle. Refrigerate or freeze the cake balls first and the coating will harden without making a large puddle.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Thanks, guys. I think that Dogmama50 has the right solution for the cake balls; just use a chocolate coating.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
That's a lot of liquid.

My comment is that it takes a lot of time for chocolate to set up again. I make turtles with undiluted chocolate and it seems to take forever for the melted chocolate to solidify. .. mostly because people are standing over it drooling. Watched pot and all that. But really it isn't really ready to eat until the next day.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:01 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I've had this same problem. I used chocolate chips, 'cuz that's what I had, and what's the dif? It NEVER set. Even after overnight in the fridge.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Thanks, guys. I think that Dogmama50 has the right solution for the cake balls; just use a chocolate coating.
I'd think there's probably a big difference in the chemistry of dairy milk/cream and coconut milk. You might want to try a ganache using dairy and see how that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink