Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sooooo intrigued about the pine needle smoking. Please let us know how that turns out?

Mikala43 - I know! Right? I am rather interested myself! I found the recipe online (what a surprise) and it seemed interesting and festive - as well as delicious. I will absolutely report back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 03:14 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,678 times
Trying to decide between my Italian hot sausage stuffed lasagna, roasting a duck(freezer), or a turkey ( treated our selves to a fresh organic local hen - the thanksgiving one was really tasty)- have company this year so get to cook a bit more than usual for my dear, but skinny and not too hearty- of an eater- partner...
there is the Eve, the Day, and New Years to cook for though, so maybe all three...

Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
My backyard is full of pine needles. Do tell.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:05 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I believe I will be by myself as I was on T'giving. I am planning on (supermarket) Chinese food. Also looking for a mince pie but I think it has drifted into the realm of "you have to make it yourself." Which I probably won't.
Well, since it is snowing (5-8" predicted) and a few days before Xmas, I probably won't be going shopping as the store will be way crowded, which I hate. So I will cook up what I have on hand - frozen scallops, mashed potatoes, peas, Christmas cookies, goodies, and ice cream for dessert.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,425,680 times
Something Asian. Hubby is in charge and hasn't given me the details.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:08 PM

19,801 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Baked ham and pheasant (stuffed with jalapeno and cheese stuffing), green beans, garlic mashed potatoes and COOKIES!

Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 AM

10,909 posts, read 7,410,954 times
we finally went shopping, and firmed up the menu:

for breakfast, Eggs Benedict. yum, haven't had that in years.

Dinner:
Barbecued pork chops. The lamb chops looked bad, and seafood needs to be fresher than 3 days old.
mushrooms sauteed with garlic and onions
spinach salad, with pears, candied walnuts (have to do that), bleu cheese (for him), Brie (for her)
crescent rolls--yes, the kind from the can.
asparagus
Dessert buffet from the bakery (we each chose a couple of things that looked good and would freeze well)

Old 12-23-2017, 09:28 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mmmmm, I haven't had waldorf salad in decades. Want!!
I make it fairly often. My usual recipe would be 1 honeycrisp or fuji type and 1 granny smith apple, cubed, 2 stalks of celery, toasted walnuts, mayo, and lemon juice. It's also nice with a savory twist - like black pepper and/or sharp cheddar cheese cubes.

My Christmas meal is just for two this year, but I'm still making it special.

Breakfast will be pumpkin cake and chai tea, lunch will not be planned, and dinner is going to be Rib Roast, mashed potatoes, green peas or brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, and maybe Yorkshire puddings if I get ambitious. Horseradish sauce is absolutely necessary with this meal.

Dessert will be a selection of the homemade cookies I've been baking.

Last edited by Debsi; 12-23-2017 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 AM

1,198 posts, read 663,327 times
We have Christmas at my Moms, and everyone brings their own dishes to share, so it's sort of potluck style. I am bringing an Hors d'oeuvres tray with smoked salmon, gluten free crackers, cheese spread, and raw cucumbers and tomato slices. I am also making a winter squash with butter and spices, and baking some cookies: flourless peanut butter ones and coconut flour cookies. My Mom eats gluten free so I try to accommodate her. I have no idea what others are bringing, but my sister said she might make a risotto of some sort.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
Just the five of us here and I'm still in a wheelchair for most of the day. In any event not about to chance a setback by standing all day in the kitchen. Also my son eats mostly protein and veggies so all the side dishes would be a waste on him.

Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store
ham and potato soup with leftover Thanksgiving ham
spaghetti and meatballs (homemade but frozen a while)
shrimp cocktail tray from grocery store
baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows
crudities with dips
dinner rolls
lettuce wedge salads with homemade bluecheese dressing
grocery store pie

oopsie- DH just called saying store is all out of rotisserie chicken. I told him to just buy a whole chicken and I will stick it in the oven with some herbs.

Merry Christmas to all my CD buddies. Your good wishes since my accident have meant so much to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink