Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Radio Grill was Walmart's lunch counter type deal
So, Radio Grill was Wally World's attempt in the '70s to show that they were in tune with the prevailing technology of the '40s and '50s? Didn't it seem to people in the '70s that "radio" wasn't exactly in the forefront of technology?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
So, Radio Grill was Wally World's attempt in the '70s to show that they were in tune with the prevailing technology of the '40s and '50s? Didn't it seem to people in the '70s that "radio" wasn't exactly in the forefront of technology?

I'm not sure what they were thinking.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlbe...n/photostream/

Old 12-27-2017, 04:47 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what they were thinking.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlbe...n/photostream/
Looks like a snackbar at a drive in movie

Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's how it was for me growing up, but that was in the Sixties and Seventies. (We were a large family and my parents were Depression-era kids, so we never bought take-out or went to restaurants when I was growing up, except on my grandmother's birthday.)

But thanks for the info. I realize that actual rural areas would have very few choices, but I still figured most small towns have a diner or a deli or something other than chains. At least that breakfast-and-lunch type place where the working people pick up their ham-and-egg-and-cheese sandwich and coffee in the morning! (I KNOW you don't have real bagels out there, hehehe.)

Does make me wonder why someone wouldn't open a local place and serve better food than the chains, though. Maybe they can't compete price-wise.

And some people are just going to always go with the chain, no matter the quality. I live five miles from the Atlantic ocean, and there are some great seafood places around, fancy and not, yet if I drive past Red Lobster, the lot will be full!

I have a friend who won some money in the state lottery a few years ago. She and her husband were successful professionals as well, and when he died she inherited more money. We are in New Jersey, and while the Italian stereotype of our state is exaggerated in pop culture, there are fantastic Italian restaurants everywhere here.

When we meet for lunch, she wants to go to Olive Garden. Loves friggin' Olive Garden. It's likely the same mentality that keeps Subway going.

Yep, that's the main issue, is cost. They just can't do the volume to get the good prices. There were a couple of breakfast and lunch type diners in town, but only one left, struggling to hang on. Located on the industrial side of town to feed workers but that was their total clientele so as factories shut down, so did they. There are a couple of locally owned dinner places that are very good, but they have stayed in business by finding a niche the chains don't do, one only opens Friday and Saturday night.

Also I do agree with you on some people always picking the chain. We actually went through your example a few years ago. We were vacationing on the beach with our in-laws. Several beautiful fresh seafood places right next to our condo. They insisted on driving 25 miles to a chain that advertised all you can eat fried catfish. Yes, we drove 25 miles away from fresh gulf shrimp, snapper, grouper, to watch them chow down on industrial frozen battered catfish.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:22 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yep, that's the main issue, is cost. They just can't do the volume to get the good prices. There were a couple of breakfast and lunch type diners in town, but only one left, struggling to hang on. Located on the industrial side of town to feed workers but that was their total clientele so as factories shut down, so did they. There are a couple of locally owned dinner places that are very good, but they have stayed in business by finding a niche the chains don't do, one only opens Friday and Saturday night.

Also I do agree with you on some people always picking the chain. We actually went through your example a few years ago. We were vacationing on the beach with our in-laws. Several beautiful fresh seafood places right next to our condo. They insisted on driving 25 miles to a chain that advertised all you can eat fried catfish. Yes, we drove 25 miles away from fresh gulf shrimp, snapper, grouper, to watch them chow down on industrial frozen battered catfish.
LOL--but I would love to have fresh snapper and grouper. Love them both, and that's not something we see much of here.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
The only thing that was ever really appealing to me about Subway was the price. It's mediocre at best and all of their sandwiches taste the same. I got a veggie sandwich one day just to try it out and honestly it tasted the exact same as the ones with meat.

Then too there are other sandwich places that are better... Publix, Jersey Mike's, Quizno's (though all the ones in our area closed), Firehouse, etc. Jimmy John's only recently came to our area and I don't care much for them. However, they do seem to be fresher and they deliver, so I know they probably took quite a bit of Subway's business.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
They sure seem to be pushing that nasty looking Rueben sandwich. Gross!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
and a rueben is not something I want unless it is a really good one. When you have an authentic one the rest tastes crappy. Arby's is pushing theirs as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Why on earth anyone would ever go to a Subway for a rueben is beyond me. You're better off opening a can of cat food and plopping that on a slice of bread...call it a rueben.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
The only thing that was ever really appealing to me about Subway was the price. It's mediocre at best and all of their sandwiches taste the same. I got a veggie sandwich one day just to try it out and honestly it tasted the exact same as the ones with meat.

Then too there are other sandwich places that are better... Publix, Jersey Mike's, Quizno's (though all the ones in our area closed), Firehouse, etc. Jimmy John's only recently came to our area and I don't care much for them. However, they do seem to be fresher and they deliver, so I know they probably took quite a bit of Subway's business.
Since I left Jersey and no longer have easy access to non-chain delis, I've been mainly going with Jimmy Johns. Kind of terrible, but I found a sandwich I like and yeah, they deliver. The quality is not great, but it is MUCH better than Subway.

I just want to find one of those dive-y little places that will make you a breakfast sandwich on the griddle and package up your deli sandwich to go for lunch later in the day, all in one line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink