Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:22 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

IMO, Subway is not offering quality like they did 5-10 years ago. I suppose I'm not alone.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...0fH?li=BBnbfcL

The bread doesn't seem to be fresh in most of my recent visits. And if you need to refrigerate any leftovers it tastes terrible the next day, again IMO. I don't think it is over for this chain, but they definitely need a new plan. In my market, Quiznos is extremely popular, but they have shut down most of their stores in the past decade. The difference between the two chains is night and day.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:28 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Subway food is garbage. Very little nutritional value and very poor quality.

The bread is atrocious - it's all air.

And you get very little for the price.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:21 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
I have not eaten there but maybe once or twice in the past 5 years or more but I used to eat their more often prior to that. I got so tired and bored of their food because no matter what type of sandwich I ordered they all tasted the same. There just seemed to be an overpowering and overwhelming common taste from sandwich to sandwich. I finally had a light bulb moment and stopped having any of their lettuce added to my sandwiches and started having their spinach added instead and it made a world of difference. I could actually taste all of the ingredients instead of just that god-awful overbearing chemical taste of their lettuce taking over everything.

I also never liked their regular white or wheat bread (never tasted fresh and was always very bland) and I switched to french bread and that made a world of difference as well.

But even still, I very rarely ever eat out anymore but if I do, I surely never think of or crave Subway by any means. We have much better sub places in my area that beat Subway hands down where the food actually tastes much fresher and unique per sandwich.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I can think of a couple of reasons: 1- the quality has gone down hill a lot in the past 5 years.The sandwiches have no flavor and they use way too much bread: 2-they expanded to much, with a store every few miles and 3-there are so many places that are just as good or better, plus many of us are starting to think twice about processed meats period. I know we hardly even buy deli meats anymore. If we am going to have a deli sandwich we will go to Jasons or someplace like that. In fact, chain restaurants, like shopping malls are gradually on their way out. At least this is how I see it, others will have different ideas.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:29 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Like the article mentions, the brand is just tired and the employees look tired.

There are better options in terms of quality and value.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
IMO, Subway is not offering quality like they did 5-10 years ago. I suppose I'm not alone.
A few years back I was there when they opened for the day, having watched the
final set up of the " Fixings " was a deal killer

Thankfully, there are a few Fantastic independent sub shops in my area

Old 12-23-2017, 07:09 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
The problem I have with a lot of fast food places, Subway included, is that they just rearrange 10 ingredients in different combinations to make it appear like they have a big menu. Taco Bell is also notorious for this as well.

Unfortunately Subway is the healthiest fast food option where I live.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
When I was in my 20's I managed a Subway for a year..
We used to receive fresh local produce 3 days a week and cut, slice and prep twice daily..

It was never very busy, we had our main busy hours. Lunch and a Dinner rush, but they never appealed to the in-between off peak hours.
2-5 pm and after 8pm and absolutely no late night or munchie stoner food offerings..

The bread was frozen dough but was proofed and baked everyday. But so is Panera and others like it..

They got expensive and frankly local grocery stores like Publix make a better and more affordable sub..
You can customize more, such as switching up cheeses. They are a deli so cheese options are there for your choice.
Publix has online ordering available so there is no wait if you take advantage of this option.
They also offer deals for online ordering in my area anyway, and you can pick up Juniors Ritalin and milk in the same trip..

Add in, Jersey Mikes, Jason's Deli and other competitive stores and they are in trouble..

I still enjoy Subway from time to time, I don't go out of my way to go to one though..
The words "hey lets go to Subway for lunch" haven't crossed my lips in many, many years.

It's probably been a year since I've had food from them, and that's because they are inside my local Walmart so it was there.
It wouldn't have been my first choice but we were hungry and it was an impulse buy.

I believe they can turn it around.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:49 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
There was a stink a few yrs ago also about their chicken. It wasn't really chicken. At least.. not all of it.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
I used to eat at Subway a lot - off the top of my head I can think of 4 that are within a mile. The quality has sunk so low I can't - well, won't, patronize them anymore. Plus we discovered Jersey Mike's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink