Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 11:34 AM

155 posts, read 132,430 times

Advertisements

I am a novice cook and lately have been getting frustrated with a simple cooking step that has me stumped.

Lets say you are trying to sautee' or slightly cook some sliced onions in a pan with oil. Olive oil or veg oil or combo of both is what I have been experimenting with. Well I also like fresh garlic cooked into the onions ( I add this later to fried potatoes cooked in the same skillet )

My problem is the small pieces of garlic get burned / charred black within just a few minutes and I am pretty sure that kills their taste ??

Should I wait to add the pressed garlic much later in the cooking process or what? If I simply turn down the heat to the skillet I am cooking the onions in, I do not think they are going to cook - soften up properly. I am just using medium heat setting as it is.

This has me stumped.

I see cooks on TV and you tube putting all sorts of ingredients in a pan to sautee' them and their stuff is not getting burned like my garlic is ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 12:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Way too high heat and not rolling the garlic pieces in oil. Cooking anything without oil will burn fast. Always mash the garlic so it can activate the garlic aroma when roasting on a pan.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Way too high heat and not rolling the garlic pieces in oil. Cooking anything without oil will burn fast. Always mash the garlic so it can activate the garlic aroma when roasting on a pan.
The garlic is mashed thru a garlic press so basically the size of large salt crystals.
There is oil in the skillet.

My dilemma is having the oil hot enough to effectively soften or sautee' the oniones ( or whatever the cooking word is ) Yet not burn the crushed up garlic in the process. It seems that it cannot be done.

Turn down the heat so low the onion wont sautee... turn it up high enough and the garlic burns ??

I must be missing some clue how cooks do this ????

Old 12-25-2017, 12:28 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Add the crushed garlic at the very end of whatever you are making and give it a couple of quick stirs and it is done. Or, even take the pan off the heat after your onions are done and immediately add the garlic and stir it around while the pan is still hot. That is enough heat to cook the garlic and bring out its aroma and flavor.

Garlic cooks extremely fast, especially crushed garlic, and really only needs a few seconds in a heated oiled pan. The last thing you ever want to do is cook it too long over heat and/or burn it.
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...garlic-article

Old 12-25-2017, 01:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Add the crushed garlic at the very end of whatever you are making and give it a couple of quick stirs and it is done. Or, even take the pan off the heat after your onions are done and immediately add the garlic and stir it around while the pan is still hot. That is enough heat to cook the garlic and bring out its aroma and flavor.

Garlic cooks extremely fast, especially crushed garlic, and really only needs a few seconds in a heated oiled pan. The last thing you ever want to do is cook it too long over heat and/or burn it.
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...garlic-article
This is exactly right, and since I've done it this way, no raw or bitter, burned garlic.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Don't add the garlic until the onions are done. Then just cook a couple of seconds. Don't let it brown.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:32 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
some great responses here, just wondering...is your range electric or gas?

Old 12-25-2017, 02:06 PM

Its an electric stove top

I will try adding the crushed garlic much later in the process next time and see how that works.

It takes approx 30min to fry the diced up spuds over a medium heat so I am guessing add the garlic when there is maybe 5 min left to go ?

I always thought the garlic taste would be too overwhelming if it did not have a chance to 'cook off' and was just added raw towards the end

Old 12-25-2017, 02:09 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I agree with corn fused, put them in at the end.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:21 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
Its an electric stove top

I will try adding the crushed garlic much later in the process next time and see how that works.

It takes approx 30min to fry the diced up spuds over a medium heat so I am guessing add the garlic when there is maybe 5 min left to go ?

I always thought the garlic taste would be too overwhelming if it did not have a chance to 'cook off' and was just added raw towards the end
Sometimes, when you turn down the heat on an electric range, it takes more time to adapt to the the change.
I've cooked over both, and they have their individual merits...

Gas seems easier to control when cooking delicate items like crushed garlic etc. YMMV
things

You are calling yourself a Novice now, but I think it is just a matter of time before you will be offering advice on this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink