Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

I like it.

As a non-southerner, I never tasted grits until well into adulthood. But in my experience, grits are eaten salty, and cream of wheat is eaten sweet, so there's no real comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys are changing it to Not Cream of Wheat. Eat that dreck plain sometime. Kids didn't get to eat good tasting food.
Cream of Wheat - made with whole milk, served with a pat of butter and some sugar. That is some pretty plan dreck. And it's dang good too, especially on a cold morning or evening. Heck this is making me think about Cream of Wheat for supper!

Old 12-30-2017, 05:14 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Cream of Wheat - made with whole milk, served with a pat of butter and some sugar. That is some pretty plan dreck. And it's dang good too, especially on a cold morning or evening. Heck this is making me think about Cream of Wheat for supper!
Kids don't get butter or sugar on it.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:14 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
I like it. I have a box in the kitchen and I eat it from time to time. My grandmother used to make it for me when I was a kid so that’s what I’m used to. I don’t think I’ve ever even had grits or oatmeal.

Oh, and I only season mine with butter and salt.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I grew up eatting CoW too, so I love it. I have just tried grits, living in Florida now, and I see no difference. I love them too. A touch of sugar and cream, yum.
Sacrilege! Grits are not supposed to be eaten with sugar! Salt, pepper, butter, made with water, not milk. Cheese, shrimp, ham, bacon -savory, not sweet! YE GODS!

Old 12-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Haha! I did, and so did my kids growing up so I guess we were spoiled absolutely rotten!

Now eggs - no ketchup, but here in Texas picante sauce is just fine. Wrap it up in a tortilla with some sausage or bacon and a side of grits and that's one fine breakfast there.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
As a northerner, I am convinced they are the same thing. (I know, I know, grits come from corn).

I can't stand either one. I was forced to eat C of W as a kid, there wasn't enough brown sugar in the world to make it palatable.

I have eaten grits, formed into a loaf and sliced and fried in butter, with jam. Not too bad.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
As a northerner, I am convinced they are the same thing. (I know, I know, grits come from corn).

I can't stand either one. I was forced to eat C of W as a kid, there wasn't enough brown sugar in the world to make it palatable.

I have eaten grits, formed into a loaf and sliced and fried in butter, with jam. Not too bad.
Good lord, man, get you some shrimp and grits or cheese grits with bacon.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
That's harsh - maybe that's why you didn't like it? Some moms make efforts for food to be palatable for their kids - butter and sugar are delicious.

It is ok to break the cycle though - I hope if you have kids they aren't / weren't forced to eat dreck.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:43 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's harsh - maybe that's why you didn't like it? Some moms make efforts for food to be palatable for their kids - butter and sugar are delicious.

It is ok to break the cycle though - I hope if you have kids they aren't / weren't forced to eat dreck.
They weren't. A couple of them will eat dirt if it has gravy, the other two are pickier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink