Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times

Advertisements

I haven’t eaten Cream of Wheat in years, I’m not much of a breakfast eater. But, as a mom, I cooked a lot of it, along with chocolate Malt-o-Meal & oatmeal. I always made all hot cereals with milk, not water, & kept stirring to keep them creamy & smooth with no lumps. Added a dash of vanilla, served with milk & sugar, no butter.

Spouse won’t touch any hot cereals & hates grits, which I like. I think we both grew up with mothers who cooked it the “paste” way...just a big ol’ lump of glue-glop. Oh, and when visiting my aunt, she made cornmeal mush for breakfast...no, just no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:19 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,452 times
My wife and I love Cream of Wheat. Perfect on a cold winter morning.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyinOhio View Post
My wife and I love Cream of Wheat. Perfect on a cold winter morning.
It has become a family tradition at my parents' place - whenever any grandkids sleep over, they all ask for porridge for breakfast.

It's funny that the consistency had been compared to wallpaper glue and other such unpalatable stuff - ours never turned out that way.

It was and is a delight to eat - very comforting. I wish I could eat it every day, at least, the way I prepare it (and the way my mom makes it). As a child, I preferred it over any cereal out of the box, and certainly better than oatmeal.

In much of Eastern Europe, oatmeal was a hard sell for many folks, it was typically considered feed for livestock (along with corn). These views were brought over when my parents came to the states - one of the hardest cultural hurdles for my parents was the local food.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM

214 posts, read 301,177 times
I love cream of wheat. I prefer it made with milk vs water. I'll eat it plain, but usually put in a little bit of brown sugar. It's totally delicious on a cold winters morning, but I've been known to eat it year round.

As a born southerner, I also love grits, which can ONLY have salt and butter and must be made with water. No cheese, no shrimp, no ham, no other weird new additions I've seen put in them.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 PM

115 posts, read 96,194 times
It was a comfort food in the winter for me...loved this stuff. That is, until I saw a YouTube video of Cream of Wheat BUGS in a bowl. It was not an expired box either.

Sorry folks but it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRL1v0vA0i0

I much preferred the New England staple "Maltex" as a great winter hot breakfast food. Can't find it anywhere now.

Last edited by JeanneVanderbilt; 12-30-2017 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
I absolutely LOVE Cream of Wheat. Grits are okay, but never loved them. Cream of Wheat is sweet. Grits are sort of like potatoes, what with butter and all. I used to not like oatmeal, but I learned to love it. Of the three, oatmeal is the healthiest.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
Since I am not a Southerner, I prefer Cream of Wheat, and sometimes I mixed in Oats, and put them in the blender.........delicious.........I only buy the ORIGINAL ones, on both brands.....

Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I like plain Cream of Wheat.
I like Cream of Wheat with raisins, brown sugar, and milk.

I will not eat grits made from hominy, for the same reason I will not eat turnips or rutabagas. When I was young, that's about all we had to eat, unless my step-dad managed to shoot a deer or antelope. I still like venison, but the other? No way will they ever appear on my table!
We were not very well off when I was growing up and we had lots of turnips. I don’t remember what they taste like, nor do I know how to cook them? I ‘kind of’ remember biting into one raw, but that is a vague memory. I think I will buy one and try a recipe...I’m curious.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Count me as a Cream of Wheat fan.

I cook mine in milk to the consistency of a pretty thin gruel, topped off with brown sugar.

The downsides of CoW are
1) I don't live in a cold climate so not much call for a warm breakfast, and
2) CoW doesn't really have staying power in the stomach. Too soon eaten; too soon hungry again.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Cream of Wheat and Cream of Rice were always yummy, bracing winter breakfasts. I always had either one with brown sugar, butter, and warm milk when I was a kid. I think I'll buy some--but I'll go easy on the sugar now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink