Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
And I have found any rose-infused food I've ever tasted "heavy, overpowering, and cloying." I don't even like the smell of the flower, which my mother grew in our back yard in profusion, allowing me plenty of exposure to them.
I hate rose then again pollen is very likely to get me to sneeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post

I think you have oversimplified a bit. ......

LOL. You are correct about that. I usually make a deliberate effort to simplify my posts and keep them short as much as possible for the venue, and even then my posts still turn out far too complicated and lengthy for most people on forums. Trust me on this, unless you have too much time on your hands and you want to read many pages of hours long explanations and lectures until your eyes glaze over from information overload about too many things then you will not want to read anything I write that has not been oversimplified.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Americans prefer what they're used to and grew up eating. If we had grown up eating like Europeans, we'd have similar likes and dislikes. Even within the US, tastes vary some depending on what area you grew up in and what kinds of indigenous and foreign foods you were exposed to.

I agree about rose/orange water being regional for taste, like honey can be. However, the cookie recipe I had that wanted rose asked for pure rose extract, not rosewater. There was a chat about why anyone would pay $15 for a bottle of something and use 1/4 tsp. in a recipe - but you can see that it was used sparingly, and even brand names were given to ensure you didn't get a mouthful of horrible.
Just out of curiosity, do you by any chance happen know what extraction process was used, i.e. was the rose extract a glycerine extract or alcohol extract, or an oil infusion .... or milk or water infusion or extraction? Or was it rose essential oil? I'm just curious about that. Also where can I find the cookie recipe please, was it posted here on this forum?

Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Americans generally prefer rich, over the top desserts with chocolate being the preferred flavoring. Used to be people ate a lot of pies - obviously fruity. Also cakes, which tended to be somewhat lighter and milder in flavor.

I love sorbets and gelatos and am discovering some interesting floral flavors they use like lavender. It's subtle - you don't get knocked over by it but you also don't feel sick afterwards like you've eaten too much.
I think so too. Depends upon which American climate you're talking about too. Here in the cold winters of the northeast, we often want warm apple pie or a rich, filling chocolate cake, often with a gooey filling and thick frosting. Something hearty and stick to the ribs.

In summer we would eat lighter desserts--sorbet, sherbet, ice cream, berries and cream. We probably should get out of our rut but most of us don't know how. I just know that I do not want peanut butter in my dessert (yuck) or Oreo cookies in my dessert (double yuck.)

Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you by any chance happen know what extraction process was used, i.e. was the rose extract a glycerine extract or alcohol extract, or an oil infusion .... or milk or water infusion or extraction? Or was it rose essential oil? I'm just curious about that. Also where can I find the cookie recipe please, was it posted here on this forum?

The recipe was in the NY Times Sunday magazine earlier in 2017. The brand of rose extract recommended was Star Kay White, but I don't know what process they use and I didn't buy or use it because of the cost. So disappointing.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I definitely think rose water imparts a perfumey flavor. My husband keeps it on hand, because somewhere in his Navy travels, he came across cooked carrots in honey and rose water. I'm not a huge fan, but he loves it.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:26 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Rose water and orange flower water remind me of funerals or old ladies purses, neither very appetizing. In Australia a popular flavor is musk, I have to ask who would eat that?

Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The recipe was in the NY Times Sunday magazine earlier in 2017. The brand of rose extract recommended was Star Kay White, but I don't know what process they use and I didn't buy or use it because of the cost. So disappointing.

Thanks muchly. I didn't find the cookie recipe but I did find the Star Kay White rose extract online. Star Kay White Rose Extract 60ml

That extract is made with Bulgarian rose essential oil which is indeed the most expensive of all floral essential oils. I'm just guessing here but their extract might be composed of food grade vegetable glycerine with drops of rose oil infused into it. If you are ever feeling adventurous and experimental you could make your own cooking extracts with food grade glycerine (or alcohol) infused with drops of essential oils of your choice. You might have to use a less expensive substitute rose oil though, the cost of Bulgarian rose essential oil is definitely prohibitive.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:01 PM

344 posts, read 245,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I remember buying flower chewing gum in Japan.
I've bought Violet chewing gum many times in the U.S. Forgot all about that until I saw your post. Specialty candy stores always have it.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Zoisite, I think this is the recipe you are looking for:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...ispahan-sables

That looks good NY, Thanks, I might try making those myself

LaBuenaVida, remember the clove-flavored chewing gum? I loved that stuff, haven't had it since the '60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink