Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,606,025 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me want to make a hot batch of my famous chili.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
I've had problems with flavor of old beans. You say they are cooking up just fine. I wonder how newer beans will compare in taste when you cook them?

Yes, I'd probably throw out the remains and buy fresh. I'd say you got your money's worth out of that big sack of dried beans.

I do want to applaud you for cooking with dried beans. I do too, and we are a small subset of home cooks. Most cooks used canned, if they do beans at all. I like cooking them up from scratch though. You can find all sorts of them now, and they are quite reasonable in price. Nothing beats a cooked pot of beans and cornbread fresh out of the oven.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:47 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,327,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Nothing beats a cooked pot of beans and cornbread fresh out of the oven.
Nice steak and potatoes?

Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Nice steak and potatoes?
I prefer the pinto beans and cornbread. Oh, and some southern chow-chow, if available.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,069,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
I am still using the small leftover amount from a big sack of wholesale dried pinto beans I know I bought at least 10yrs ago.

I make soup beans with ham hocks maybe 2-3 times a year and only use about 3 cups of dried beans per batch so needless to say, this big sack of beans has lasted over 10yrs.

They still seem to taste great and after soaking overnite they cook up just fine. I will never buy this big quality again though moving forward.

I am wandering if I should just ditch that last 1/5th of the bag and buy fresh dried new beans ?

Beans are pretty cheap so its not the cost. I just hate to toss food that is still good and edible, which I am sure the dried beans are. Its just they are surely well past their premium state I would think at this point.

Your thoughts ?
What possesses you to even ask?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:17 AM

155 posts, read 132,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Well for starters ... its hard to remember back 10-12yrs ago when I bought this sack of beans exactly what they tasted like. I simply wanted input on the shelf life of dried pinto beans.

I kinda thought my post was pretty self explanatory

Old 01-08-2018, 07:31 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,520,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Quote:
Well for starters ... its hard to remember back 10-12yrs ago when I bought this sack of beans exactly what they tasted like. I simply wanted input on the shelf life of dried pinto beans.

I kinda thought my post was pretty self explanatory
You just made a batch from the bag 6 months ago (according to your second post in this thread) so I think making the last group from the bag is probably fine.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:49 AM

155 posts, read 132,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
You just made a batch from the bag 6 months ago (according to your second post in this thread) so I think making the last group from the bag is probably fine.
Thats my point

Maybe all the batches of beans I have eaten from this sack over the past 3-4 yrs is well past their optimum shelf storage time limit and its happened so subtly I have not noticed.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 AM

731 posts, read 679,642 times
(The English) I say, old bean!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
I am still using the small leftover amount from a big sack of wholesale dried pinto beans I know I bought at least 10yrs ago.

I make soup beans with ham hocks maybe 2-3 times a year and only use about 3 cups of dried beans per batch so needless to say, this big sack of beans has lasted over 10yrs.

They still seem to taste great and after soaking overnite they cook up just fine. I will never buy this big quality again though moving forward.

I am wandering if I should just ditch that last 1/5th of the bag and buy fresh dried new beans ?

Beans are pretty cheap so its not the cost. I just hate to toss food that is still good and edible, which I am sure the dried beans are. Its just they are surely well past their premium state I would think at this point.

Your thoughts ?
the life expectancy is quite long but they can be harder to cook with as years go by. At 10 years I would toss them. It isn't like they are a gourmet or pricey food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink