Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM

155 posts, read 132,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's all a matter of preference.

We love eggs, especially omelets, and like them lightly-browned. No runny whites in this house, and I think they're more visually appealing when browned a little, anyway.
agree

I expect to see alittle browning on omelets when having breakfast out

I do not expect to see browning on scrambled eggs when having breakfast out

Just my take on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok I admit I'm not a huge egg fan but I can cook them pretty well. The thing I keep hearing is to not let omelets or other egg dishes get brown. In fact it seems that most egg dishes are served under cooked, still slightly slimy when I see Food Network. What the deal?
That's properly cooked you mean.

The "brown" you are referring too is chemically different, has a different composition, taste and texture. Many people think the edges of over-cooked fried eggs tastes like plastic, for example. The more subtle gentle browning spread out on an omelets does taste different - but not nasty like plastic.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
...The more subtle gentle browning spread out on an omelet does taste different - but not nasty like plastic.
I know a lot of people do like some subtle browning on their omelettes. However, when I make my custardy French omelettes, they are expected to have no browning whatsoever. In fact, I rely on carryover cooking to finish the omelettes off the heat source.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:03 PM

155 posts, read 132,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I know a lot of people do like some subtle browning on their omelettes. However, when I make my custardy French omelettes, they are expected to have no browning whatsoever. In fact, I rely on carryover cooking to finish the omelettes off the heat source.
Quite true

Some people are unaware that scrambled eggs will actually continue to cook more done, even after being removed from the heat source. As will most other foods. Its just more noticeable with eggs due to the small time window of done and over done.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

I know a lot of people who like eggs "custardy" regardless of the way they're prepared. LOL Not me.

Which is why I never order eggs at restaurants.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of people who like eggs "custardy" regardless of the way they're prepared. LOL Not me.

Which is why I never order eggs at restaurants.
Well, that's a good reason to have a microwave handy. Nuke 'em till they bounce.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:00 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Well, that's a good reason to have a microwave handy. Nuke 'em till they bounce.

LOL nuked eggs? No way!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
LOL nuked eggs? No way!
My post was in jest, but I just looked-up microwave scrambled eggs. Apparently, it's a thing.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
My post was in jest, but I just looked-up microwave scrambled eggs. Apparently, it's a thing.
Yeah. That's how I used to make them for my dog, actually.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;50706872]Scrambled eggs

I make scrambles eggs a certain way.

Brake the egg over the pan, trying not to brake the yoke.

Let the egg whites cook from a clear to a white look.

After the egg whites are white, no more or very little clear to them, I then brake the yokes and mix that all in.

That's exactly the way I do scrambled eggs. They have to have visible white in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink