Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:23 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
My wife was born and raised in Fall River MA, where there is a large Portuguese population (tho she is French). After we were married she introduced me to two Portuguese sausages that I still love - linguica and chourico. She also brought home Portuguese sweet bread in a big round loaf, which is excellent with thick slabs of real butter!

We use the sausages in many ways, particularly at our annual 4th of July clam boils. They (either one) add just the right flavor to the clams, potatoes, sweet corn, seaweed, etc. It wouldn't be the same clam boil without those sausages.
I buy my linguica from a local New Bedford Portuguese meat market/deli that makes their own. With theirs, you can get mild or spicy. The linguica is pork sausage casing. The chourico is beef sausage casing. It's otherwise the same. I usually buy spicy linguica since the smaller sausage is easier to slice before cooking with it.

The other classic Azores/Portuguese classic:

Kale soup - I use turnip instead of potato. Freezes better. Mine starts with pork shoulder simmered for hours as the stock base. Onion. Garlic. Linguica. Beans. Fresh kale at the end.

I'm more into rich-spicy than burning hot-spicy. For Indian or Thai, I ask for "medium" which ordered by a white guy is pretty toned down. My go-to in Indian restaurants is the saag or palak selections which usually come out very mild. When I make it at home, I use an Indian grocery store garam masala blend as the spice base along with fresh ginger, tumeric, and cumin seed that has a heck of a lot more heat than what I get in a restaurant. I usually do shrimp & cubed paneer at home. My go-to Thai is duck choo chee or red curry which is similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
I love spicy so much. Sichuan food, especially, also Indian food - YUM.

But my current favorite is in no way gourmet - Shin Ramyun noodle soup. When I bought it the first time, the shop owner tried to talk me out of it.

I should stop eating this because 1) I went vegetarian otherwise and this is not vegetarian; 2) I need to reduce sodium and this is more than my daily allowance.

Taste Test: Shin Ramyun Instant Noodles | Serious Eats

Old 01-27-2018, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Golly we just love spicy period. I guess my favorite is a good Asian dish but also love any Mexican food accompanied by a super nice salsa, preferably home made.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:13 PM

322 posts, read 286,152 times
I’m Pakistani so we love spicy food. Biryani, kabobs, and chicken tikkas. They have the right amount of spice. To balance out the heat chutney helps!

Old 01-27-2018, 12:14 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times
Typically the only things I'll eat spicy is Chili and Salsa.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:03 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,654 times
I love this topic, although I have gotten away from eating as much spicy stuff as I used to. The reason for that is that since I am retired, I am not going to lunch (usually in the local "Chinatown") with people who like spicy foods.

This is a joke, but has some truth to it: I got into spicy Chinese food by going to lunch with co-workers in the "New Chinatown) area of Houston back in the 80s. (That area is huge now and is a culinary treasure.) One of my colleagues was an Indian guy who would order his dish (gung bao chicken or mopo dofu) "extra special hot". When I was in line behind him at the counter, they would sometimes make my order the same way. I became kinda addicted to it, despite what I call the air-conditioning effect -- i.e., my scalp would feel cold, i guess because of the sweating induced by the capsaicin in the peppers.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:14 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,654 times
I really love spicy Penang-style curry, which an earlier poster mentioned. Also, spicy Indian foods served with cooling yoghurt and nan.

As far as "Mexican food" goes, I tend to love more of the actual regional cuisines from there, which (I think) don't generally involve a lot of heat. (Despite what people in the US think.) Despite that, I've had a lot of wonderful dishes from there that involve chiles. I have an ongoing love affair with various dishes involving poblano peppers, more because of the wonderful flavor they can have than the heat level.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM

430 posts, read 335,193 times
I LOVE spicy food. I don't know if it's a Southern thing, but I grew up eating jalapeno peppers whole at an early age. I add it to lots of my foods for taste and spice. I request medium to high spicy foods when eating out cause I love the taste. Bring it on!

Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
I like spicy soups and curries. Also adding jalapeños for that extra kick.
I don't have a favorite. I like spicy foods generally. I add jalapenos to things. I like chicken fajita salads, spicy soups, spicy baked chicken. I like a kick in foods. Except for salt, since I watch sodium intake.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:24 PM

3,074 posts, read 1,997,118 times
My favorite is probably screechin' hot Buffalo chicken wings. I prefer to make them myself, because I don't coat the wings with breading, like they often do in restaurants... just fry them 'til crunchy & almost blackened & douse with Tabasco & hot wing sauce.

But, I like everything spicy... love Indian food & although I haven't had it in a few years, I guess I don't order it properly, cuz I've never had it spicy. Good to know, cuz I've always thought of it as mild food. Still, it's 1 of my faves. Mexican's wonderful, too.

Oh, just put me down for I like everything hot & spicy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink