Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,632,730 times

Advertisements

Texas road house has good chili
Wendy's have slightly better chili

If you're talking about chili in a can, then it is Staggs for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,002,476 times
I make my own using both beans and meat. I use Bush's beans. They have 3 or 4 beans specifically marketed as "Chili" beans and come in both mild and spicy.

As easy as chili is to make, it's a no-brainer, but if I must buy it, Wendy's isn't all that bad. It's not particularly good, but certainly not all bad. Nothing like mine, though.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:41 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,294,339 times
We like Wendy's chili.

I guess it depends on what you grew up on. I live in NJ, and Wendy's reminds me a little of my mom's. Of course it doesnt taste as "home made."

We are Welsh/English so it's not like we ate a lot of spicy foods back in the day My guy is Cuban and he puts his (from Wendy's lol) over rice. I'm disabled and i don't cook a lot - he cooks more than i do and does his own beans and rice usually.

We ate more PA Dutch type stuff. And Depression-era food growing up.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:59 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,318,809 times
Its not a restaurant but best chili to me is found there. Its called steakhouse chili in their prepared food area. It tastes mild smooth and awesome to my taste. Give it a try

Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,516,290 times
Steak 'n Shake

Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,553,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We have a restaurant in town that only serves chili - eight varieties of chili, and as spicy as you wish. The chains just can't compete with their selections.
That sounds really good. I would love it if they had a sampler, where you could get a small amount of each of the eight chilis.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:53 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Having grown up in the Cincinnati area, this is the only restaurant chili I've ever had. I prefer Gold Star to Skyline, and I've never actually had Blue Ash Chili's chili, even though I lived in Blue Ash.

As a Cincinnati native, it is very rare that I step into either Gold Star or Skyline for the chili. I guess that I am tired of paying for a half pound of spaghetti to get two or three tablespoons of chili.

A far better chili of that same genre is Milwaukee's Real Chili which is located adjacent to Marquette University. The location looks like some of the original Express locations and you don't have to wade through a pound of spaghetti to find the chili.

https://onmilwaukee.com/dining/artic...liprofile.html

Real Chili | Milwaukee, WI

Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,752,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That sounds really good. I would love it if they had a sampler, where you could get a small amount of each of the eight chilis.
They do offer small cups (6oz) for those who wish to sample several varieties. They actually offer ten varieties if you consider Cuban Bean Stew and Posole/Pozole to be "types of chili.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Good chili is very good. Bad chili is awful. There are many ways to make chili, and I guess there are many ways to mess it up.

I like Chili’s chili, but there is no Chili’s in my town. I hate Wendy’s chili. That’s about the scope of my chili experience in restaurants. I usually make my own. But I imagine plenty of you have favorites, so how about sharing them?

And, you might address this question too: are all restaurant chilis pretty much the same?

Oh wait—I’ve had Sweet Tomato’s turkey chili. I used to like but I don’t any more. Did it change? Did my tastebuds change?

All the Sweet Tomatoes in this region closed in Fall 2016, when the company filed bankruptcy, unfortunately. I loved many of their soups, but never tried their chili. Their Asian ginger was awesome, though.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:28 PM

19,287 posts, read 9,388,430 times
Aside from Mr C's....hmm, I would say Einstein Bagels. I used to stop at one in Reston, Virginia. I liked how they served it with a couple pieces of warmed Naan bread.
Wendy's from years back. It's been awhile. Uno's was pretty good and Red Robin. That's all I can remember for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink