Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

My grandmother's pierogies.
An Italian Hoagie from a now defunct hoagie shop in my hometown. (Owner passed away. RIP, Big Ed).
Pizza from a pizza place that's been open since forever in my hometown. There's actually 2 different pizza places there that have amazing pies. Both are totally different styles, but oh, so good.

Now I'm hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Good grief! These posts have all been so inspiring. I want to go spend $1000 at the supermarket!

Old 02-05-2018, 11:32 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Gordon Ramseys' beef wellington in Vegas.
Portughese beef stew with port in Portugal
steak in Buenos Aires
Ratatouille made by me after a french recipe

Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
1st thing that came to my mind was a cream based clam chowder I once had at a Ritz-Carlton. It was beyond delicious!

Old 02-05-2018, 01:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I'll go with best food memories since 'best foods/dishes' varies for me:

Somebody already got 'baguette'. A simple sliced baguette, butter, and strawberry preserves with cafe au lait pretty much anywhere in France is a favorite food memory.

The first time I caught cod off my boat, filleted it, and had simple baked/broiled cod for dinner. 'Swimming that day' cod is incredible. Even 1 day old loses that amazing flavor & texture. I'd be terrified to calculate the cost per pound.

My first dim sum lunch experience in Hong Kong years ago. I'm sure most of it was very run-of-the-mill like shumai, har gow, cha siu bao, and sticky rice in lotus leaf but it was an amazing food discovery at the time.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'll go with best food memories since 'best foods/dishes' varies for me:

Somebody already got 'baguette'. A simple sliced baguette, butter, and strawberry preserves with cafe au lait pretty much anywhere in France is a favorite food memory.
Mine too! Basically the perfect breakfast for me.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
Freshly caught crab (with a delicious garlic butter) eaten outside at the Old Port in Marseille, France along with a bottle of wine shared with my husband during a birthday trip.
Marcos (in Chicago) Italian beef sandwich
my brother-in-law's barbecue
fresh Kumamoto oysters

Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
So hard to choose, but I think memorable meals are situational..

Fresh swordfish, sautéed in butter, at the shore with relatives
A fish chowder at a restaurant with friends
A wonderful shrimp pasta in a restaurant with friends.

Interestingly, I’m not that much of a fish person, most of the time. Perhaps I just love anything with cream and butter?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Mom's standing rib roast. Dark and crispy delicious on the ends, medium rare inside. Absolutely extraordinary.

Mi Piace pizza in Pinole, CA. Never found a pizza place equal to it.

Fresh sourdough bread from Pioneer Bakery in Venice, CA, when they were still in business. No other sourdoughs came close.

Cheeseburger grilled inside a brick oven over real charcoal pieces, deliciously done to the exact temperature you request. Original Joe's in San Jose, CA.

Croque monsieur from Tartine Bakery, San Francisco. So tasty, from a unique and wonderful place.

Foie gras mousse from Jeanty in Yountville, CA. I admit it.

Stromboli from a mom and pop that used to be on Lankershim Blvd, North Hollywood, CA. They sold to a chain and that was the end of the amazing stromboli with their out of this world house made tomato sauce.

Falafel and fixings done right. Top Falafel in North Hollywood, CA. There are many mediterranean fast food places in L.A. but this shop has to be the gold standard. Super satisfying.

(Not trying to push any particular businesses, just want to give credit where it's due.)

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM

OMG, I totally forgot about foie gras! First taste was a sublime moment. And bone marrow too. Both happened in Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink