Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:49 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times

Advertisements

I always have been nervous about going to a dine-in restaurant alone, but I think I may do it more often. I don't really have any friends to go out to eat with and there are so many restaurants around here to try out. When you go out to eat alone, do you worry you are being watched? It seems people look at you as some sort of freak when you go to a sit-down restaurant alone...not that it should matter what people think. When I have gone out to a restaurant alone, I almost never see other people eating alone so I thought maybe it was odd to go alone.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I will go to a casual café or fast food place alone, but have never dined alone at an elegant restaurant. Some more upscale restaurants won't seat a single person alone, anyway.

But the way my life is, sometimes I have to go out to a restaurant alone to get away from my family, as I spend all my time cooking for them and am left too exhausted to fix anything for myself.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I rarely have the opportunity, these days, but, prior to marriage and kids, all the time. It was one of my favorite things ever.

Now, if I dine out, it's usually with my family.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:00 AM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Before i got married, I ate alone, in restaurants, many times, no biggie. Try it, & enjoy your meal.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Sure! And I've never heard of upscale restaurants refusing to seat a single. The upscale places usually bend over backwards to take care of a solo diner.

Sometimes I'll eat at the bar, but that depends on my mood and whether I want to chat with strangers. Otherwise, I'll bring a book to read or some notepaper to write an old-fashioned letter to someone while I have my dinner.

It can be quite lovely to dine out alone.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Sometimes, yes. No big deal for me, no worries, never had a bad experience in an eatery related to that issue. Nobody stares at me or anything, and if they did it’s their problem anyway.

In fact, occasionally it’s an advantage if the place is busy, as you can usually get seated quicker than anything but a party of two. Squeezing in at the bar is easier, too, if you’re okay eating there.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I do it all the time. My husband did not attend church with me so I ate out by myself (dine in) every Sunday at least. I did it when I had shopping days too. My husband passed away recently so now I eat by myself most of the time if I dine out. I don't mind it at all. The only time I felt uncomfortable about it and felt like I was being watched and avoided it, was when I was quite young.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:55 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I always have been nervous about going to a dine-in restaurant alone, but I think I may do it more often. I don't really have any friends to go out to eat with and there are so many restaurants around here to try out. When you go out to eat alone, do you worry you are being watched? It seems people look at you as some sort of freak when you go to a sit-down restaurant alone...not that it should matter what people think. When I have gone out to a restaurant alone, I almost never see other people eating alone so I thought maybe it was odd to go alone.
I have gone to restaurants alone a number of times. I am much older than you are and way past the point of worrying about being "watched" or worrying about what some two-bit schmoe thinks of me dining alone. Go ahead and watch me eat if that's how you get your rocks off. Who cares?

When I moved to where I am now, I only knew one person and I didn't see her often because she was still raising kids and my dd was grown. I got tired of being alone all the time and would go to the library or cofee shops with my notebook or laptop just to be around people, and write.

Then I decided to start going to dinner by myself. I tried to go early or late when they weren't at their busiest so that I wouldn't be taking up a table that a group could use. The only time I had an issue is when the dumb-as-heck hostess with the fake bright attitude asked me if I wouldn't rather sit at the bar "because it would be so much more fun! I looked over at the bar, which had three sides--and one couple sitting at each side. Fun, NOT, for a single person. Duh. I said, no, I'd rather sit at a table. The restaurant was more than half empty, so it's not as if they needed to save the table.

To his credit, the young man who was my server was very professional. I had a glass of wine, a nice meal, and read my book while I ate.

I've also gone to other places and never had a problem anywhere. Lots of people dine alone. Lots of people ARE alone. There was an article in the local paper last year about how one out of every four households in my state consist of one person living alone. Well, we don't always just stay home and hide and eat out of a can because we are alone. Sometimes we want a nice restaurant meal cooked by others and served to us.

I've gone to the movies alone, to the beach alone, and to Atlantic City alone, too.

Go and enjoy.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I am single. I go out to all types of places by myself. DO NOT create narratives that aren't real. No one is looking at you like a freak. You're human, you eat.

Find a nice place and enjoy your meal.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Sometimes you start the meal alone but you end up taking someone home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink