Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:24 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times

Advertisements

Ever notice how many Italian TV dinners taste good compared to other cuisines that get turned into TV dinners? You mentioned Lasagna, how about Eggplant Parmesan?

Last edited by creepy; 02-14-2018 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Left off "T" in TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Baked mac and cheese! Can there be anything better to have on hand in your freezer?
Potato leek soup
Beef stew or vegetable beef soup
French onion soup
15 Bean soup
Baked beans
Chili
Ravioli in sauce
Crab cakes
Meatballs in sauce
Burritos
Eggplant parmesan
Seafood stuffing for use with shrimp

Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Thai curries... all of 'em freeze well into nice serving size packets to be thawed later and dumped over rice.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That’s Salisbury Steak, right? Sounds like comfort foods, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I think it is. My mother and grandmother always called it hamburgers and brown gravy, lol.
I think it's a separate, but similar thing, hamburger in brown gravy. They have it on menus at meat & 3 restaurants around here, oven with mushrooms. I prefer salisbury steak, which I believe usually has breadcrumbs in it, giving it a meatloaf quality.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
My favorite is homemade lasagna. I freeze with extra sauce in individual pieces.

Anything with gravy:
I make a pot roast dinner. Slice the meat and put it in the gravy. Freeze individual portions.
Mike and Lisa's World: Yum...My Grandmother's Pot Roast....So Good

Same with chicken. You can use a rotisserie chicken and gravy mix. Cit it up into bite sized pieces and add gravy. Freeze in small portions.

My mom’s Hamburgers and Brown Gravy

1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

Make 4 patties from the ground beef.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties and onion in the oil until patties are nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side.
Remove the beef patties to a plate, and keep warm.
Sprinkle flour over the onions and drippings in the skillet. Stir in flour with a fork, scraping bits of beef off of the bottom as you stir.
Gradually mix in the beef broth.
Simmer and stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens.
Turn heat to low, return patties to the gravy, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.

Serve with boiled cubed potatoes(pour gravy on top) and your choice of vegetable.

Meatballs and sauce/gravy
Beef stew
Chili
Soup

hi there ylisa I also do hamburgers and brown gravy only I use lipton onion soup mix my granny would do it that way and thank God the stores still carry it .and it comes out ooh lah lah ...that is a good old fashioned meal and I serve it with mashed potatoes cause the other half cant stand boiled potatoes ...LOL

Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Baked mac and cheese! Can there be anything better to have on hand in your freezer?
Potato leek soup
French onion soup
15 Bean soup
Baked beans
Chili
Ravioli in sauce
Crab cakes
Meatballs in sauce
Burritos
Eggplant parmesan

OMG I so want to eat at your house LOL . You sound like an awesome cook . Me I do okay compared to you . LOL .

Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think it's a separate, but similar thing, hamburger in brown gravy. They have it on menus at meat & 3 restaurants around here, oven with mushrooms. I prefer salisbury steak, which I believe usually has breadcrumbs in it, giving it a meatloaf quality.
I make Salisbury a bit different.. try dredging the meat patty in seasoned flour and browning it and then making the gravy. Yum! My son in law always has me make up a batch for freezing when I visit.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
With just me and husband now, I find it easier to make two meals when I cook. Taco meat, pulled pork, sliced roast beef, etc. all seem to freeze well.

I typically make a big batch of 4 or 5 meat loaves. One is used for the current dinner. The remaining are shaped and wrapped, uncooked, and frozen. I thaw them out before cooking. For some reason, the frozen ones seem tastier. I think it's because the spices have more time to "settle in" to the meat.

I used to make batches of chicken enchiladas without the final sauce and freeze them. Haven't done those in awhile.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Potato leek soup
French onion soup
15 Bean soup
Baked beans
Chili
Ravioli in sauce
Crab cakes
Meatballs in sauce
Burritos
Eggplant parmesan
How does the eggplant hold up after freezing? I've always been tempted to try this when eggplant is in abundance in the late summer/fall.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Lasagna
Chili
Homemade soup
Spaghetti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink