Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I noticed a lot of the words that annoy people are regularly used in restaurant kitchens.

I was a line cook, I've used every variation of these words.

Annoyed by braised, EVOO, plating? Lmao
Hearing "plating" won't ruin my life, dear. I only ever heard Rachel Ray say it the one time I watched her show. I am not a TV freak, much less a daytime TV freak, but I had heard mention of this woman and her cooking show and it flitted across my eyes once when I was home sick.

To a normal person who is not in the restaurant business, "plating" sounds pretentious, as if someone is trying to show off that they know some sort of professional term. This is supposed to be a TV show for the ordinary person who likes to cook, isn't it? The use of "plating" on a show geared toward the average person cooking at home says this goofy-ass woman with a TV show is trying to be something she probably isn't. I don't know if she has any sort of professional food prep background or not, but she's not impressing anyone, at any rate.

I know what EVOO means, but until this thread, I never realized that anyone would actually say "EVOO", as if it is a word. Just say "olive oil".

Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you ever gotten ice cream in LaCrosse?

No, not yet. But I am willing to try it

Wisconsin does know dairy products. Cheese curds, grilled cheese, ice cream, and frozen custard. You can tell what I do in my spare time when I’m working there.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
No, not yet. But I am willing to try it

Wisconsin does know dairy products. Cheese curds, grilled cheese, ice cream, and frozen custard. You can tell what I do in my spare time when I’m working there.
When I was a child, we went to Minnesota to see relatives several times. Once we stopped in LaCrosse specifically to get ice cream. I never had ice cream like that before or since. There was also a place that advertised with signs for miles. I can't write the name here. I can't imagine that it's still there, operating with that name.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you ever gotten ice cream in LaCrosse?
Have you ever played lacrosse in ice cream?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hearing "plating" won't ruin my life, dear. I only ever heard Rachel Ray say it the one time I watched her show. I am not a TV freak, much less a daytime TV freak, but I had heard mention of this woman and her cooking show and it flitted across my eyes once when I was home sick.

To a normal person who is not in the restaurant business, "plating" sounds pretentious, as if someone is trying to show off that they know some sort of professional term. This is supposed to be a TV show for the ordinary person who likes to cook, isn't it? The use of "plating" on a show geared toward the average person cooking at home says this goofy-ass woman with a TV show is trying to be something she probably isn't. I don't know if she has any sort of professional food prep background or not, but she's not impressing anyone, at any rate.

I know what EVOO means, but until this thread, I never realized that anyone would actually say "EVOO", as if it is a word. Just say "olive oil".
In a restaurant "plating" is used because "serving" is something else. At home, people just get served or serve themselves, sometimes they even use a plate.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
In a restaurant "plating" is used because "serving" is something else. At home, people just get served or serve themselves, sometimes they even use a plate.
Yes, I do! Holding a handful of mashed potatoes is awkward and messy.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I do not find the term plating anything except descriptive. EVOO does not equate to olive oil.

English speakers regularly use such acronyms as ASAP, VIP, etc instead of an entire phrase. If I remember correctly, snafu started life as an acronym. I think EVOO is in that tradition, and it is in current use now.

One of the characteristics of modern English is its capacity to acqire, adapt and invent new words. You can’t keep it from happening. And it happens in the food world, just as in the broader mainstream.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Brekkie, brekkers, and cuppa are absolutely as grating as sammies and veggies. Can't pin stupid food slang on being American.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Me too. I sometimes drive into Wisconsin to get cheese curds from Mars Cheese Castle. Totally worth it. There's also a Metra line going from Chicago to Kenosha, but there aren't many trains running on weekends.
Tim &Tom's over Mars Cheese Castle. Heck, even Woodman's in Pleasant Prairie. Fewer tourists pillaging the sample dishes.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
"Me want a yum-yum sammy in my tummy." -a 45 year old

Now where did I put my AR-15?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink