Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

I am going to admit my ignorance here.

I almost never eat dessert. If I eat out, I almost always skip dessert. In the last few years, on our anniversary dinner, I began indulging. About two years ago I had my first creme brulee. I had heard about creme brulee, but I had not imagined that I woukd ever eat it. When I tasted it I was amazed at how delicious it was. I still think a good creme brulee is divine. And I can’t believe it took me so long to taste it.

The last one I had was Christmas Day. But the best one I ‘ve ever had was the first one.

What have you eaten for the first time that was so gloriously good you were amazed? How long has it been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
1. 1980 or 1981 in a authentic chinese restaurant in Philadelphia called Lee Ho Fooks. A friend introduced me to pan fried dumplings and sobered them with chili oil. First time I ever liked something hot and spicy. I've been a chile head ever since, which was a good thing when I lived in Phoenix and Mexico!

I'm still friends with the man who performed this life altering act of kindness.

2. 1991 or 1992, in phoenix, when boyfriend of the moment (he was Guatemalan) took me to an authentic Mexican restaurant called Espo's and ordered me a burrito with green chile sauce. It was only mildly spicy, but changed my dislike of Mexican food forever.

The boyfriend broke my heart, I STILL dislike bring Mexican food, and I learned to make a damn good green chile myself. DH's favorite dish.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
1. 1980 or 1981 in a authentic chinese restaurant in Philadelphia called Lee Ho Fooks.
Hahaha! Omg. I thought that was a made-up name in the Warren Zevon song Werewolves of London. Fabulous! I already learned something today and it's not even 9:00 a.m.

ETA: Sorry. In my excitement about Lee Ho Fooks, I forgot to respond to the original question. Yes. Tofu. I would always pick it out of dishes or eat around it. I saw how rubbery it was and I had zero desire to ever taste it. But then I met mapo tofu, my go-to Chinese dish. I still don't like tofu -- I've tried it in a few other "applications" -- but in that dish? Perfection.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
1. Pizza with Anchovies
2. Cheesecake Factory's Limencello Cream Torte

Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
pizza (1950s, North Jersey)

lasagne Bolognese

all the crèmes: crème pâtissière, crème Anglaise, crème caramel, and, like OP, crème brûlée

real cranberries instead of that stuff in a can at Thanksgiving

pesto

beef tenderloin

steamed clams

raw oysters

lobster

lemon curd

Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Growing up my only exposure to steak was the super cheap large steaks my mom would buy. She would broil them, just barely. They were tough, chewy, flavorless and way undercooked. I will cut her a slight break as we were dirt poor and there was eight of us to feed but honestly she was a horrible cook.
As an adult I never ate steak. Hated the thought of it. I turned 30 and started dating my now husband. He cooked me the most wonderful delmonico steak medium. I relunctly took my first bite. Oh! It was truly a revelation!!! I now adore a good steak.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Growing up my only exposure to steak was the super cheap large steaks my mom would buy. She would broil them, just barely. They were tough, chewy, flavorless and way undercooked. I will cut her a slight break as we were dirt poor and there was eight of us to feed but honestly she was a horrible cook.
As an adult I never ate steak. Hated the thought of it. I turned 30 and started dating my now husband. He cooked me the most wonderful delmonico steak medium. I relunctly took my first bite. Oh! It was truly a revelation!!! I now adore a good steak.
Similarly, I grew up on overcooked meat. My mother did not believe there should be any pink in meat. She is the the only person I ever knew who dried out a leg of lamb.

As an adult, I read a comment by a French chef who said lamb should be served rare. The next time I had the opportunity to have lamb in a restaurant, I decided to play it safe and ask for medium rare.

O.M.G. The flavor.

Eventually, lamb was the first thing I stopped eating as I moved toward a vegetarian diet because they are so cute.

But I will never deny that they taste good.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Sweetbreads, ate the yesterday......very good and easy to chew/swallow.

Last edited by tickyul; 02-23-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
First sushi. I don't even remember who took me for it, other than it was a date. I've forgotten the guy, but I still adore sushi.

First Thai food, especially Tom Kha Gai. (I think the name means OMG, doesn't it? )

First pho.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:32 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Deep fried scallops.

Pizza.

1956 or 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink