Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 PM

510 posts, read 370,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Anyone else hate having to eat breakfast? I know, "it's the most important meal of the day." But I am not hungry in the morning, and when I have some coffee that also makes me feel full. I'd rather have a few cups of coffee all morning and skip breakfast (I put hot chocolate in my coffee), but I guess that's a bad idea? I don't get really hungry til around 10:00 and I can't have a large meal then because I'm at work and it will mess up lunch. I have been making myself eat breakfast for a while now (homemade omelet) but I have to force myself to make it on the weekends, and eat it every day...I'd rather not. What's the minimum a healthy person should eat in the morning? Is a banana better than nothing? I'm not a big fruit eater and I don't like protein bars.

Thanks for posting! Of course, breakfast should be about your needs, not the desire of some people to force conformity.

Coffee contains caffeine, as does chocolate. Both are (legal) stimulants, so you probably need energy more than anything.

Yes, bananas are considered a good source of potassium. I don't each much breakfast, have a glass of Citrucel along with some dietary supplements, then some cherries, a great source of anti-oxidants. They are sweet frozen, no prep, no spoilage, 4lbs about $9 at Costco. I eat bananas at random times. They may balance out too much citrus that can cause acid reflux, and some claim bananas help them sleep.

Anything you eat shortly after getting up might qualify as breakfast, as few foods truly have 0 nutrition. The typical breakfast might be OJ, cold cereal & toast, or oatmeal. Or bacon and eggs, maybe with hash browns, especially if a weekend breakfast at restaurant where you can just relax with coffee while you wait. Some like
fancier stuff, some skip breakfast. We don't need 100% conformity, so please yourself. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:56 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Eat protein instead of carbs. A hard boiled egg from a half dozen you boil once per week is quick. If you care about the calories, toss the yolk in the trash and eat 2 or 3.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Your body cares not when you eat.

The whole "most important meal of the day" thing was a PR gimmick to sell bacon (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...food-lifestyle).

Old 03-11-2018, 04:07 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Love breakfast. What to eat? Ever hear of a full Irish breakfast? Fried potatoes, eggs, beans, stewed tomatoes, toast, etc.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:53 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Either I don't like most typical breakfast foods or they are full of empty(carb) calories. So if I want breakfast, I usually eat leftovers! There is nothing wrong with meatloaf for breakfast!
Absolutely! I could never get the whole "breakfast food" idea!

In my family, breakfast food was whatever you happen to eat for breakfast! Which only loosely corresponded with the "fast" part: as in, either whatever cooks fastest (like eggs, omelet, oatmeal, etc.) - or whatever left overs you happened to have!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
Thank you all very much, I decided what I'm going to try this week and see how it goes. I'm going to focus on protein, veggies and good fats for breakfast & lunch, and minimize starches. There are some people who can eat the same thing every day and never get tired of it, I usually am not one of those. (Although if I had to eat pizza and french fries every day, I can't imagine getting tired of that!!)

Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i recommend a half pound of bacon every morning

Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
The extra half hour in bed was always more important than forcing myself up early to eat when I didn't want to eat anyway. If that makes sense. It's been that way since kindergarten days and I've suffered no ill effects over almost six decades that I can tell. Coffee in the mornings, something light for lunch and a regular dinner.

Every single person is different and one has to find a balance that suits their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink