Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
One of the things I cannot stand in this world is precut garlic in a jar. Just the smell is enough to send me running for the other room with a sink. But I like the easier, softer way as much as anyone else, so I sprinkle certain things (roasted vegetables [esp. potatoes], lentils, chili) with Penzey's Granulated Garlic Powder. It's not the same taste as I get when I chop fresh garlic, which I still do. It's its own very enjoyable flavor. Other brands may work as well, but I'm not certain, as I never used to like the taste of plain garlic powder.
Get jarred garlic paste at an Asian/Indian grocery - very inexpensive and more versatile than minced garlic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 04:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree that it's a shortcut when the frozen vegetables are readily available fresh and/or are precut or prepared in some way. Frozen chopped onions and peppers are a shortcut. Frozen peas are really not, because how would you get them for most of the year.
Are we considering prepared peanut butter to be a shortcut, then? Given that you can purchase whole peanuts right there?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Frozen peas
Canned baked beans (I do try to doctor them up)
Canned chicken broth in a pinch to make a sauce
Dried pasta (although I would love to make my own but I refuse to purchase the pasta attachment for my standmixer)
Salad mix
If you'd really love to make your own pasta, you should try it! I've done it many times and even though I recently bought several pasta attachments for my mixer, I used to do it all by hand prior to that. It's super easy and so delicious - way better than store bought.

Just roll the dough very thin with a rolling pin and then cut it into whatever shapes you want. I started out by cutting long fettuccine type noodles for my spaghetti and also lasagna shaped noodles for my lasagna. Then a couple weeks ago, I decided to make fun shapes, so I got some miniature cookie cutters and now I sometimes use those. The cookie cutters are harder to use than just cutting them into long strips or rectangles, but still not hard at all. It just takes a bit longer.

The person who takes care of my dogs when I go out of town, got sick recently and had to have surgery, so I made her some homemade chicken noodle soup and I cut the pasta into little puppy dog shapes for her. She loved that! And so did I - what a special gift to give someone - personalized chicken noodle soup! The possibilities are endless.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Are we considering prepared peanut butter to be a shortcut, then? Given that you can purchase whole peanuts right there?
No. Unless you know of folks who boil and crush their own peanuts down to a paste along with oil and other ingredients to turn it into "butter."

Buying frozen chopped carrots as opposed to whole carrots is a shortcut. I don't think it's unfair for me to not want to compare this to peanut butter, is it?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Making your own peanut butter requires nothing but grinding peanuts, really. They produce their own oil.you can add additional ingredients, but it isn't necessary.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No. Unless you know of folks who boil and crush their own peanuts down to a paste along with oil and other ingredients to turn it into "butter."

Buying frozen chopped carrots as opposed to whole carrots is a shortcut. I don't think it's unfair for me to not want to compare this to peanut butter, is it?
Of course it isn't. You could buy flats of strawberries and make all your own jam. In fact, you could grow those strawberries yourself and then make the jam. But that's a whole different level from "shortcuts."

Garlic already peeled and minced is a shortcut. A rotisserie chicken is a shortcut. A jar of jam or a jar of peanut butter is not a shortcut.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I buy bacon bits and microwave them before using to get some of the fat out. This substitutes for bacon in many recipes.

I also use "Makin Bacon" to microwave my bacon. It has these 'T' shapes where the bacon hangs down and the fat drips off into a tray. The bacon is not flat. I can live with that.

I get the shredded and sliced carrots in bags. It is one less thing to prepare.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Fried chicken breast strips is a big short cut for us. My grandmother had to buy the live bird and my mother whole dressed chickens so I know just how big a short cut that is.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I always keep bags of chopped onions and chopped peppers in the freezer.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
If you'd really love to make your own pasta, you should try it! I've done it many times and even though I recently bought several pasta attachments for my mixer, I used to do it all by hand prior to that. It's super easy and so delicious - way better than store bought.

Just roll the dough very thin with a rolling pin and then cut it into whatever shapes you want. I started out by cutting long fettuccine type noodles for my spaghetti and also lasagna shaped noodles for my lasagna. Then a couple weeks ago, I decided to make fun shapes, so I got some miniature cookie cutters and now I sometimes use those. The cookie cutters are harder to use than just cutting them into long strips or rectangles, but still not hard at all. It just takes a bit longer.

The person who takes care of my dogs when I go out of town, got sick recently and had to have surgery, so I made her some homemade chicken noodle soup and I cut the pasta into little puppy dog shapes for her. She loved that! And so did I - what a special gift to give someone - personalized chicken noodle soup! The possibilities are endless.
Personalized chicken noodle soup is today's winner of the Internet. No. Scratch that. The decade's winner of the Internet. I love this so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink