Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:38 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
please allow me to correct you...just because you know one person ...you take liberties to broadbrush all grocerystores??????????

ive been a butcher meat manager and a meat supervisor for over 35 years...
ive set up over 50 stores on marinade programs..

they use a tumbler/marinade machine and most also vac seal for easier freezing
and let me assure you from someone that actually works in the industry the quickest way to kill your business is on the ignorance......you started this thread with ....

i know of NO stores using close dated product to marinade with to extend shelf life....... this is b.s. and if one store is doing this address it with that one store not broadbrush the industry...

i take a lot of pride in training meat ,managers and set procedures in place that only the freshest products get marinated....

in this day and age of facebook and social media.......why would any reputable store take a chance on this ?? all it takes is some yahoo to post misinformation and immediately they have to defend themselves..........so why would they ever use questionable product or take a risk in getting some one sick??

again...this is a b.s. post...
No vac seal in the stores in my area.....wrapped just like every other store-cut meat. So you are a supervisor. How often are you in the same store everyday? Well employees are in their dept every day, and they know what goes on. I would tend to believe them. Everyone is trying to make their numbers, cut corners were they can. In every business

Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
No vac seal in the stores in my area.....wrapped just like every other store-cut meat. So you are a supervisor. How often are you in the same store everyday? Well employees are in their dept every day, and they know what goes on. I would tend to believe them. Everyone is trying to make their numbers, cut corners were they can. In every business

That's *******s. Most supermarket employees are just going through the motions, they have no stake in it. They couldn't care less whether you go there or not and just work automatically. Not scheming and conniving like you imply.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's *******s. Most supermarket employees are just going through the motions, they have no stake in it. They couldn't care less whether you go there or not and just work automatically. Not scheming and conniving like you imply.
No not scheming and conniving. My post is really getting blown out of proportion. All I was saying is that some stores ( not their policy) but it is done. They pull meat from the case that is close to going out of code, season it, and add days to it. So if a steak is put out with a 4 day code, if it doesn't sell by the third day, it is used for seasoned product and put back out with added days, 1 or 2. I was just giving consumers the heads up, like I would like to be told

Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, really? You know this "from someone [you] know from the meat department" ... and that makes it a general rule about grocery stores across the country?

What an absurd post. OP, if there's a problem in YOUR local store, report it or otherwise do something about it! But to state these things as if they are true everywhere is incredibly irresponsible.

I've bought seasoned meat from the grocery store, and stuffed poultry and pork, and it's all been delicious. And if it HADN'T been, my grocery store (Hannaford, a New England chain) would have given me my money back.

My grocery store (like the one someone else mentioned) marks down meat that is nearing its expiration (sometimes it's still 2-3 days away). I've bought a lot of that marked-down meat, again with no issues.

OP, please listen to Mainebrokerman, who probably knows just a bit more about meat than you do.
Where did I say across the country??? I was only speaking of my own experience, in my own area

Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
My supermarket has a mark down section for things that are approaching the end of their sell by date. I will say that it seems like a lot of the pre-seasoned meats end up in there, along with the ones that are "meals" with other ingredients, but I assume that means that they just aren't all that popular and it doesn't sell as quickly as the rest of it. I simply cannot see a store destroying itself by selling outdated meat on purpose and risking the illness and legal actions that would follow.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My supermarket has a mark down section for things that are approaching the end of their sell by date. I will say that it seems like a lot of the pre-seasoned meats end up in there, along with the ones that are "meals" with other ingredients, but I assume that means that they just aren't all that popular and it doesn't sell as quickly as the rest of it. I simply cannot see a store destroying itself by selling outdated meat on purpose and risking the illness and legal actions that would follow.
They put a 4 day sell by date, still good after that date, however, it is supposed to be 4 days, not 5 or 6

Old 03-14-2018, 02:39 PM

Wish I could post the link

Google CBS investigates grocery store secrets best before dates tampered with

Old 03-14-2018, 02:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:

I did and got a list of mostly fake news sites like appear on FB all to often.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:

I did. And it was CBC, not CBS. From Canada, not the US.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:11 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I did. And it was CBC, not CBS. From Canada, not the US.
SNAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink