Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Also culturally many folks never learned what good food tastes like to begin with. Many times poor people palates have been trained from a young age to like over salted or over sweet foods. You give them something good and they can hardly recognize it.

We had one of my son's friends over and he had been raised on microwave popcorn. I eat that too at times but I prefer the real stuff, organic popped in a pan with oil and real butter and salt on it. Not too much-just a good amount. This kid tried one bite and did not eat anymore. Said it tasted weird and he was not used to that taste. He was obese too so that is saying something.
Yes, like the kids who prefer Kraft Mac n Cheese over homemade. My friend was so insulted when she made her mother's traditional macaroni and cheese and brought it to an extended family picnic. None of the kids liked it because they were used to the boxed stuff.

It's not just the kids. I had a friend when we were in our thirties who invited me over for dinner when our husbands were at a game. She looked at me conspiratorially and said, "And I will make instant potatoes--you know, the kind your mother made when you were a kid. My husband only eats mashed potatoes made with real potatoes."

I told her I had never in my life had instant mashed potatoes. I refrained from any remarks about her mother, lol. I figured that since she was cooking and was so excited about this, I would certainly eat them.

Not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:59 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Yep, my husband's youngest hated coming to our house to eat because it was all home made (I am a decent cook by all accounts). One of the first times, he asked why there was grass in his food?!! It was herbs.

Now our joke is I torture him with healthy food, but over the years he grown to like it more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My, I never knew that so many people found "vegetable" so difficult to pronounce.

I certainly agree that frozen vegetables (and some canned ones, such as canned tomatoes) are far preferable in taste and probably nutrition to whatever you can find in the grocery store shipped in from Chile out of season.

The big mystery to me is why anyone ever buys stone fruits like peaches in the winter. I assume they're being used for some purpose other than eating, since they're inedible, but what could that be?
Throw to a dog? Winter baseball practice?

Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
I have four grocery stores within a 10-minute drive, and the quality of the produce varies a lot. The closest store's produce is horrendous. Their apples are flavorless (I can barely taste the difference between varieties), and they turn brown within a couple of minutes of being bitten into. The other stores' apples are okay, but don't hold a candle to the apples grown at the two nearby orchards. I go to those orchards several times during apple season as the varieties ripen. Those apples are such a boost to a brown-bag lunch.

I'm considering joining a CSA.

Last edited by Masamune; 03-21-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 01:35 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Monsanto? Are we singing the praises of Monsanto, now?
I'd rather not eat Round Up and pesticides but when you're at the end of the supply line, engineered crops have dramatically improved the taste of fresh produce over the last 50 years. I hope some people have the sophistication to distinguish between organic and GMO. Humans have been selective breeding better crops for many centuries. I view that as a good thing.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:57 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
On my last gardening kick I bought all heirloom seeds because of the higher nutritional value, but they caught every disease, bug, mold etc that is here.
That is part of the game. Find a local source for seeds - Master Gardeners, county extension office, agricultural dept. of local universities.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's far better to buy frozen vegetables when they're not in season. They are usually picked and frozen locally the same day, and they are going to taste better and be more nutritious than something picked three weeks ago and shipped here from Chile just so somebody can wave it around and say it's "fresh". (Maybe that's why you see those stupid quotes around "fresh" in markets sometimes. They might be telling the truth instead of just misusing punctuation.)
It's true that frozen vegetables are a fine option, they are flash-frozen nowadays and lose very little nutritional value. But it's hard for me to say frozen veggies taste as good as fresh, to me they don't.

But the overriding message to impressionable eaters should still be: eat as much fruit and veg as you can, it's all pretty healthy and holding out for ideal taste is a poor excuse for not eating it.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Also culturally many folks never learned what good food tastes like to begin with. Many times poor people palates have been trained from a young age to like over salted or over sweet foods. You give them something good and they can hardly recognize it.

We had one of my son's friends over and he had been raised on microwave popcorn. I eat that too at times but I prefer the real stuff, organic popped in a pan with oil and real butter and salt on it. Not too much-just a good amount. This kid tried one bite and did not eat anymore. Said it tasted weird and he was not used to that taste. He was obese too so that is saying something.
I was poor, before fast food was popular. My mother was a good cook of basic things like roast chicken, roast beef, and her own version of Chili (on mashed potatoes). We never had any really good vegetables, just some bland salads with pale, horrible tomatoes, and maybe some spinach and broccoli that was OK. I did not know that tomatoes and other vegetables could be so good until I got married, and my husband, a Dane, taught me about great tasting fruits and vegetables (not that they have very many of these in Denmark). Now to me, there is nothing finer that a slice of good sourdough bread with a few slices of a great big beefsteak tomato (in season), a dab of olive oil, italian seasoning, topped with Provolone or cheddar cheese and broiled in a toaster oven.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:14 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
Nutrition is more important than taste.
I think you are right technically. However, we are geared toward food as enjoyment. That’s why it’s so difficult to stay on a “diet”. The food on diets can be abysmal, and seen as a punishment.

I’ve watched that TLC 600 pound show, and if I had to live on boneless skinless chicken breast with no flavor or seasoning, I’d be like kill me now. And you can do plenty of things to that chicken breast to give it flavor and make it look good, but you never see that on the show. It always looks like punishment food.

So taste yes, and nutrition. The two go hand in hand.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think you are right technically. However, we are geared toward food as enjoyment. That’s why it’s so difficult to stay on a “diet”. The food on diets can be abysmal, and seen as a punishment.

I’ve watched that TLC 600 pound show, and if I had to live on boneless skinless chicken breast with no flavor or seasoning, I’d be like kill me now. And you can do plenty of things to that chicken breast to give it flavor and make it look good, but you never see that on the show. It always looks like punishment food.

So taste yes, and nutrition. The two go hand in hand.

The food on diets doesn't have to be abysmal. Why in the world would you eat a chicken breast with no seasoning. Seasoning adds no calories, makes it pleasant, and has health benefits.

I LIKE healthy food, I like veggies, fruit is okay, love a variety of complex grains, herbs, spices..... I get sick eating too much sugar, fast food/chain restaurant food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink