Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's nothin' better than a Jersey tomato.
Yup & they haven't used them for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:42 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Has this gone downhill in recent years? I don't remember it tasting quite this...salty, greasy, and overall gross! And it's not because my palate has improved, because I still enjoy all my other junky food, and Campbell's soup was never that.
I haven't bought more than two cans of Campbells' for decades. The only exception is I use mushroom as a base and it's often the only brand available. Their soup base is different today, but like Kraft products, whose sales go UP in a bad economy, CS is directed to the bottom of the buyer food chain. So it's no surprise.

Take a trip to Europe, especially Holland, and your taste buds will awaken from a decades long sleeep. When you eat that processed American crap for years your brain begins to think it's "normal" and "food". It's not.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:10 AM

764 posts, read 94,584 times
I am pretty sure that the Campbell’s Tomato Soup of my childhood is not the same formula now. I just looked at the ingredients of a can in my pantry, and it has high fructose corn syrup, so I don’t think I’ll get it again.

Like another poster, I liked the cream of asparagus soup by Campbell, but not so much now, as it hardly has any asparagus pieces in it.

Just this winter, I was noticing that the Progresso soups that I liked seemed to have more broth and less solids, with the exception of lentil.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I guess. I put Campbell’s soup on the same level as Vermont Maid pancake syrup. It’s what I was fed as a kid but I moved on to better food quality as an adult. With my own cooking, I also went from General Foods recipes based on their processed foods to better ingredients.
Pretty much this. What I once thought tasted good, doesn't any more. My wife and I make home made soup. There are better store bought options, too. I buy maple syrup that is pure - Vermont, Ohio, NYS.

Same with cheese. I don't eat Kraft anymore. There are so many better cheeses. Cheese is a treat. When I indulge, it better be good. Chocolate? Hershey's doesn't cut it for me.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:29 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I'm aware that it's not gourmet fare. Just asking if anyone else (who deigns to use it) detects a change in it. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
I'm aware that it's not gourmet fare. Just asking if anyone else (who deigns to use it) detects a change in it. Thanks!
I think the tomato soup is sweeter. More sugar. Or high fructose corn syrup?

Old 03-29-2018, 02:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric johns View Post
I am pretty sure that the Campbell’s Tomato Soup of my childhood is not the same formula now. I just looked at the ingredients of a can in my pantry, and it has high fructose corn syrup, so I don’t think I’ll get it again.

Like another poster, I liked the cream of asparagus soup by Campbell, but not so much now, as it hardly has any asparagus pieces in it.

Just this winter, I was noticing that the Progresso soups that I liked seemed to have more broth and less solids, with the exception of lentil.
amazing how we spend so much time checking ingredients these days. Years ago they were never listed on the labels or if they were, the % wasn't. I am not a tomato soup fan, but spoiled brat is. I have never heard him say it tastes different today. Sometimes it is more our taste buds than actual changes.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
How old is "spoiled brat"? It would be interesting to know the product's ingredients of 30-50 years ago compared to today. I'd be surprised if they'd stayed the same. Again, I've notice a difference in just the last 5 or so.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:17 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I use Cambells cream of asparagus soup every day and I notice more salt but also no consistency between cans. Also I Really miss their Scotch Broth which they no longer make.
I loved Scotch Broth when I was a kid.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I noticed that, too, about the Tomato soup; in fact, it does have a ton of sugar in it. Doesn't seem it used to taste that way, though? The Tomato with Rice cuts the sweetness a little.
Same with Progresso Tomato. It had a ridiculous amount of sugar in it, and it just tasted too sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink