Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
You use it every day? In what way?

I used to enjoy the Scotch Broth as well.
I was about to ask the very same question.I can't imagine anyone using the same soup everyday. As for the OP and greasy, I have never thought of canned soups, especially Campbell's as being greasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 AM

505 posts, read 501,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I guess you've never had the New England Clam Chowder or Cream of <insert item here> soups. I admit I'll occasionally eat a can of soup.
I've never really been a fan of Clam Chowder (not a fan of seafood in general), so I can really only speak on chicken noodle I like that Progresso's chicken noodle has carrots and celery in it.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I wondered if they made the condensed soups worse in order to increase sales of their higher-priced Chunky (and now YES!) brands, but seems that would be self-defeating.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:31 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wondered if they made the condensed soups worse in order to increase sales of their higher-priced Chunky (and now YES!) brands, but seems that would be self-defeating.
Campbell's reduced the quality of those as well. At one time we liked their ready made chicken noodle soup. Then they started putting in weird, fatty, rubbery scraps of so-called "white" chicken meat, and that was it for us. We still buy the Progresso soups but I'm dreading the day when some conglomerate buys them out and reformulates everything to pet food levels of quality.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Now that I am older and wiser, I wouldn`t touch the stuff with a 10 ft pole. Just full of sodium,even the healthy choice type

Old 03-28-2018, 11:06 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
For good clam chowder, use a bag of Bear Creek Potato Soup and add four cans of minced clams. The juice is about three cups and add five cups of water. I also add cayenne pepper, about a teaspoon. If you have bacon, cook a couple of pieces in the bottom of the pan first then crumble.

Have at it.

I live on the New England coast near the Rhode Island border. Clam chowder in my zip code is clear broth.

Whenever I'm making steamed clams, I make a double batch and use the leftovers for chowder. The standard recipe is clam broth, onion, potato, and some kind of pork fat like bacon or salt pork. I add tarragon. You can use minced sea clams or littlenecks but I prefer soft shell clams. Canned clams? Nope.

Here, most restaurants use Blount frozen bagged chowder and add their own herbs and other secret sauce. That's what the Legal Seafood chain uses. I prefer clear broth but Blount is pretty high quality.
http://www.blountfinefoods.com/image...s/SS078020.pdf

Old 03-28-2018, 12:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Have at it.

I live on the New England coast near the Rhode Island border. Clam chowder in my zip code is clear broth.

Whenever I'm making steamed clams, I make a double batch and use the leftovers for chowder. The standard recipe is clam broth, onion, potato, and some kind of pork fat like bacon or salt pork. I add tarragon. You can use minced sea clams or littlenecks but I prefer soft shell clams. Canned clams? Nope.

Here, most restaurants use Blount frozen bagged chowder and add their own herbs and other secret sauce. That's what the Legal Seafood chain uses. I prefer clear broth but Blount is pretty high quality.
Yes, I'm sure we can all be superior to everyone else in what we can get our hands on geographically.

Unfortunately for me, the clams habitat isn't in South Florida.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I just don’t think Campbell’s condensed, canned soups are healthy. I haven’t used them in cooking for decades.

I did used to like Tomato Bisque soup. I don’t know if it is still being made. Last time I ate it, years ago, I thought it was too sweet.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I am not a big consumer of canned soups but I always have about a half dozen on hand for late nights or to fill an empty spot.

Regarding the high sodium, I don't worry about it too much because I don't eat much processed food and I exercise (sweat) a lot, so I am probably more at risk of sodium deficiency than the other way around.

If the sodium is unappealing in taste, I just water the soup down a little bit. More soup for ME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Again spot on. Cream of Mushroom is not what it used to be. I suspect a lower fat content. The almost fat free is not up to par for using with green beans.
I think the cream soups have been playing with the fat to bulking agent/emulsifier (starch/carageenan/xanthan gum, etc.) ratio, with the latter winning out over fat in an effort to make a "healthier" product at a lower cost.

The creamy chicken soup products (cream of chicken, chicken dumpling, etc.) have become really unappealing bowls of salty chicken custard due to this phenomenon.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:50 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just don’t think Campbell’s condensed, canned soups are healthy. I haven’t used them in cooking for decades.

I did used to like Tomato Bisque soup. I don’t know if it is still being made. Last time I ate it, years ago, I thought it was too sweet.
I noticed that, too, about the Tomato soup; in fact, it does have a ton of sugar in it. Doesn't seem it used to taste that way, though? The Tomato with Rice cuts the sweetness a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink