Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM

841 posts, read 548,093 times

Advertisements

I bring a lunch and eat at my desk. (In my own office with a door.) We do not have a break room - everyone has their own office. I put on my headphones and watch something on Amazon Prime to try to escape a bit. Sometimes I do still answer my phone or reply to emails - depends on who it is from - other times I let them go to voicemail or wait until after lunch to return them, so sometimes I do end up working through lunch even when not intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 02:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,590,841 times
I bring my own and eat in the small kitchen area.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,151,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I prefer to be able to disengage from what I'm doing and actually leave the site and take a true mental break from whatever I'm working on, but only if there is a sufficient window of time to do so. I loathe rushing around. If leaving for lunch entails doing it in a rush, count me out. Lunch is a break, not something to be stressfully crammed in. In that case, I'd rather just find a quiet place onsite to decompress in and not be tasked with doing anything.

When I taught, lunch was shoveled in while standing up, supervising students. No duty-free lunch. Blah.
Me, too. When I was a employee, I packed a lunch and water, and a nice warm blanket, and took off to the park to eat and read and decompress. The blanket kept me clean from dust and leaves and toasty in the cooler weather. When weather was really bad, I had a number of delis to go to. I budgeted for lunch out.

On a rare occasion I went to lunch with coworkers.

But I really needed that hour away, and my coworkers respected that.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:11 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,215,187 times
I would just raid the fridge at work...//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ic146349-a.png

Old 04-04-2018, 05:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,910,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I would just raid the fridge at work...//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ic146349-a.png
That would be something like "refrigerbator" to someone who would eat their lunch at their side desk, right?

On-topic: I've worked from home since 2003 so it's not a matter of preference (I'm a social butterfly) but circumstance.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 PM

23,344 posts, read 23,746,433 times
I work from a home office most days, so I usually just prepare a quick sandwich to eat. Sometimes, if the mood strikes, I’ll go out. I have to take clients out on occasion also, so we play it by ear, in terms of a venue.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 AM

95 posts, read 109,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
There are a couple of food courts and food trucks on campus, but I always bring lunch from home. I either eat outside or in my car, because its my only "alone time" to read or go for a walk. I was eating in my cubicle all winter, but one of my co-workers has boundary issues and likes to ask me work-related questions if I am there during lunch, so I'm glad the weather is getting nicer again.
I've used to eat in my car a couple of times during lunch breaks when travelled somewhere on business or leisure and understood that this was a bad idea since the food smell transmits to the car interior and crumbles fall off. So the car might become messy in a time. As for you coworker who intrudes your personal boundaries asking you job questions while you eat, I'd like to say this is one of the reasons many people prefer not to eat at their desk.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I like to sit in my car and people watch. Always good for a laugh or two. It`s amazing watching how people park, and as they walk by you get to see how they dress, and the shoes they wear. Sometimes I cringe, and say how in the heck can they spend the day in those shoes....oops, getting OT
I don't know what OT means yet I'm surprised you spend your lunch hours this peculiar way.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,454,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post
Most often I go to lunch to our eatery on the first floor of our office building. The second place in terms of frequency is taken by the lunches from home placed in plastic containers. When I do so I eat in the small kitchen on our floor in the office. Rarely if I neither lunch in our eatery nor take food from home I go to the nearest groceries to buy some food.

Most of my coworkers, who don’t take their food from home, go to lunch together in small groups to the eatery in our office or somewhere else. I prefer to go there alone though. I don’t get much of a joy eating together with someone else. It distracts me from the process of eating and having pleasure from food.

What is your attitude towards lunches on job?
I bring my lunch and eat it alone in the lunch room. Sometimes, someone is there and we do not speak. Sometimes we do. My preference largely depends on my mood and who is in there with me.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I had a similar problem, but I wasn't willing to walk all the way out to my car just to avoid my coworkers. So I printed out a sign that said "On my lunch break. I'm not really here. I'm just a figment of your imagination. I will return at 1:00" and I tape it above my head during my lunch hour. When a coworker approaches with a question, I don't even turn around. I just point to the sign and keep eating.
It sounds like a way out, but I wonder if it is not easier just to walk out to breakroom instead of fencing off the annoying questions and phone calls? Back in the day I worked in some company where there were too many tasks. It was terrible. We locked our office door and hung a sign that stated it is a lunch hour, but some of our coworkers could care less. They knocked on door or phoned us saying it is urgent that we deal with their issues. So it was no pleasure eating in such a state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink