Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:59 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

Ever seen a chef "tweezing" food onto a plate? If there's a tweezers in the kitchen I probably don't want to eat there.

In my house food means "I love you" and love should be served with a ladle. If anyone leaves my table hungry I haven't met my goal.

Artful plating doesn't have to be about size. It can also be achieved with color and shape. Stingy food artists - I f--- in your general direction.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, my point was more that one can plate real, human-sized portions well, despite the trend of artful plating leaning more toward dabs of food with drizzle and sprinkles and scatters.

But, whatever...I got chastised earlier for the suggestion of eating a whole hamburger, so it is pretty clear that there is a market for child-sized portions for adults.

Oh I agree....those tiny servings are silly....no reason not to have a filling meal that also looks appealing...

Old 04-14-2018, 10:29 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Personally.. I couldn't care less about fancy presentation. I generally have a problem with thinking that while they were creating the little eye feast.. how much were their fingers all over all the food more than necessary (and I don't believe they all wear gloves all the time behind those kitchen doors and even if so.. what all did they touch with them? I once watched a woman prepare a sandwich for my husband and with the gloves on, reach up and rub her nose and scratch the inside of her ear. I told her to toss it.)
Whether they did or not.. that's where my thinking goes.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
If somebody else is paying, I would love to have one of those tiny multi-course dinners. I’m certain I’d be stuffed by the end.

Of course, I am stuffed by the thought of eating a whole 8 ounce burger (no offense to those with larger appetites intended).

Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I do think presentation is important, but as some of you said, so is abundance.

Not to pick on the particular chef that prompted the thread, but she tries to create food that evokes memories, and a poem comes with it. The memories aren’t about your grandma’s meatballs either, but more like some ethereal memory, “from deep within your soul”. Puleeze.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
When you talk about food as art, it's a very apt analogy. My boss goes for very simple, rustic/primitive folk art (P. Buckley Moss) and his idea of a great meal is a relatively cheap large slab of meat surrounded by gobs of potatoes all awash in jus, forget an appetizer or coursing.

I like post-impression art (Van Gogh, Sargent) and love wonderful food, beautifully presented in small portions so my taste buds don't wear out getting through one course before moving on to another of many courses.

We're both happy with our choices and we're both right. But I don't try to make him eat my way or vice-versa.
I wonder what my favorite, Marc Rothko, would look like?

Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I wouldn't want (couldn't afford!) to have it all the time, but it is a nice change on special occasions.

Restaurants like that normally have 6 or 7 plates that comprise a dinner, if each was a substantial size you would never be able to finish all the courses. Plus, some could be quite rich (foie gras, pork belly, etc.) and a huge slab would probably make you want to hurl.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't want (couldn't afford!) to have it all the time, but it is a nice change on special occasions.

Restaurants like that normally have 6 or 7 plates that comprise a dinner, if each was a substantial size you would never be able to finish all the courses. Plus, some could be quite rich (foie gras, pork belly, etc.) and a huge slab would probably make you want to hurl.
Of course, I get that, and I would enjoy what you describe too. Sometimes, they just go too crazy.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Yeah, I truly "get it." And if I am totally honest, like some others here, if invited I'd definitely "put on the Ritz" and go along. After all, there are never enough food experiences to ever turn one down.

Just to keep things honorable here. But I can't promise I wouldn't be stifling a giggle if things got too pretentious.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:36 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yeah, I truly "get it." And if I am totally honest, like some others here, if invited I'd definitely "put on the Ritz" and go along. After all, there are never enough food experiences to ever turn one down.

Just to keep things honorable here. But I can't promise I wouldn't be stifling a giggle if things got too pretentious.
Boo on pretentious! Food should always be fun, and we all have different tastes and things we enjoy.

I like food that I would be able to make at home, maybe could, but wouldn't due to things variety of ingredients and time consuming preparation. I order that "kind" of food at most restaurants, even regular 'ol chains.

For example, lobster bisque. Cause there is no way I would make it at home without gagging. I view it like sausage, I don't WANT to see how it's made! While I think it's out of trend now, I like vertical food cause I won't do that at home, or the dish so perfectly balance with 2 micro greens, citrus sauce, 4 pieces of meat, some fish eggs, 5 perfectly cooked veggies with a separate sauce for each.... /lol You get the idea.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink