Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 02:32 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times

Advertisements

I love cooking up some pasta, and just throwing in a can of tuna in oil, for a quick meal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 03:03 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
All this time I've been buying and eating tuna, I had no idea there was such as thing as Tuna in oil. I've always gotten the tuna in water. I'll have to check my local Ralphs to see if they even have the "in oil" ones as I dont think I've ever seen it (or noticed it because I go right for the "in water" kind).

In checking the nutritional value on the Ralphs website, the only differences between the two are (based on 5oz can of Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light):

In oil vs in water

Oil - 70 calories
Water - 50 calories

Total Fat/Saturated fat

Oil - 3g / .5g
Water - 05g / 0g

Since I have never really liked the taste of tuna, I may try the "in oil" kind. Although, my main reason for eating tuna in the first place is for the low cals and low fat that fits into my nutritional intake plan (usually a cut or fat burn).

Links:
In oil - https://www.ralphs.com/p/chicken-of-...0004800000195#
In water - https://www.ralphs.com/p/chicken-of-...0004800000245#

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 04-25-2018 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No doubt, Americans are big on mayonnaise. Growing up Italian, I never even tasted mayonnaise until I was almost a teenager. My mother won't even try it.
I was never served mayonnaise with fries until I moved to Europe.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I love cooking up some pasta, and just throwing in a can of tuna in oil, for a quick meal
I like that tossed with some halved grape tomatoes, olives, and pieces of fresh mozarella while the pasta's still warm, save some pasta water if you want to loosen it up a bit.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:29 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha. I have a friend in her 70s who is still stuck in the low-fat/no-fat world. She is diabetic and buys non-fat or low-fat salad dressings, and she doesn't seem to understand that what they replaced the oil with is not good for her.
Her doctor should tell her low/non fat isn't her issue, sugar is. And, most non/low fat salad dressings have sugar in them to replace the flavor removing the fat takes out.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yep. I'm also considering making coronation chicken, a la UK cafes, which is mayonnaise-based.

And mayonnaise is generally understood to have its historic culinary roots in Spain or France, depending upon the source.

At any rate, it's originally a European-originated thing, despite the effort to claim it as "some American thing that's not a thing in Europe."

Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep. I'm also considering making coronation chicken, a la UK cafes, which is mayonnaise-based.

And mayonnaise is generally understood to have its historic culinary roots in Spain or France, depending upon the source.

At any rate, it's originally a European-originated thing, despite the effort to claim it as "some American thing that's not a thing in Europe."

Does that matter? Answer: No.

This elitist line of posting has been nothing short of hilarious, with one after another berating mayonnaise because it's [sacre bleu!] "American." Now, we can all feel lofty because it supposedly has "European roots."

Give me a break.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Does that matter? Answer: No.

This elitist line of posting has been nothing short of hilarious, with one after another berating mayonnaise because it's [sacre bleu!] "American." Now, we can all feel lofty because it supposedly has "European roots."

Give me a break.
Of course it doesn't matter.

Evidently, it did to the poster who played the "Ugh, mayonnaise...so ugly American!" card, though.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I use mayo unashamedly. I don’t love it, but I do find it useful. And I think it tastes just fine.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:05 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Of course different parts of Europe have different food items. Mayonnaise I think was originally a French concoction. I don't think anyone ever said it was invented in America. It was just noted that Americans use a lot of it. In Italy, it was never used in everyday cooking or meals or as a condiment when I was there but that was before the European Union. Olive oil was used almost exclusively back in the day including to cook French Fries, which were never called French Fries in Italy. They were called fried potatoes and no condiment was used when eating them other than salt and pepper. They were quite flavorful without any kind of sauce on them because they were fried in real olive oil.

Last edited by marino760; 04-27-2018 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink