Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

I try something new whenever I can. I have been looking for a paw paw for a long time but no luck yet. Last year I had a dragonfruit, odd, didn't really taste like anything. I just cut it in half and ate it. This year I had a cherimoya, sweet and creamy but more seeds than edible fruit. I have tried jackfruit and durian, both OK.

I always wonder what these things would taste like fresh and at their peak. I think it would be totally different and I would try them again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 11:54 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Last year I had a dragonfruit, odd, didn't really taste like anything. I just cut it in half and ate it.
That's funny. A couple of years ago a vendor showed up at the farmer's market selling nothing but dragon fruit. I tried a sample and it didn't taste like anything, so I asked him what to do with them. His reply was that they are extremely nutritious, so blend them into a smoothie along with more delicious fruits!

Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
I try something new whenever I can. I have been looking for a paw paw for a long time but no luck yet. Last year I had a dragonfruit, odd, didn't really taste like anything. I just cut it in half and ate it. This year I had a cherimoya, sweet and creamy but more seeds than edible fruit. I have tried jackfruit and durian, both OK.

I always wonder what these things would taste like fresh and at their peak. I think it would be totally different and I would try them again!

I going to buy a dragonfruit just based on how they look....

Maybe they are like oranges, some sweet some not...

Old 04-23-2018, 01:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Yea dragon fruit and star fruit look fabulous but the flavor is a let down. All show and no substance (though star fruit has more flavor at least). Still kids love the novelty of them tho.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:

I've had cherimoya from a tree. They are seedy for sure - best appreciated in a slow-pace type of scene with the hot sun making you languid already!

Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:

This site says they'll have them in October:

Buy Pawpaw Fruit Online

This place has frozen puree as well as fresh in season:

Fresh Pawpaw Fruit from Earthy Delights

Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Plucots seem to be widely available here, in the summer. I love loquats but I don't think they grow them commercially, so I have to depend on getting a few from my friends tree. If anyone offers you a loquat, take it.
I don’t see too many pluots here. One year is St. Louis there were loads and loads of wonderful colors and flavors. After that, i found them only intermittently.

I wish I could count on having a variety every summer.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Where are these from...?
Re: Cempadek, Langsat and Pulasan. SE Asia. Also grown to a small extent in Hawaii, and other tropical locales. Cempadek is an artocarpus, like Jakfruit and Breadfruit.

Langsat and Pulasan are related to Longan, Rambutan and Lychee but even better. Pulasan is a bit like Rambutan, but more flavorful.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
We tried a boiled breadfruit last visit to Hawaii. My daughter thought it tasted like an artichoke heart, which I thought was a very perceptive and accurate description.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
We tried a boiled breadfruit last visit to Hawaii. My daughter thought it tasted like an artichoke heart, which I thought was a very perceptive and accurate description.
I love breadfruit, it is super good when you blend it with poi!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink