Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times

Advertisements

I keep several types of vinegar in the pantry. I most often use Red Wine vinegar for salad dressings. My son purchased a "fancy" bottle when he was here at Christmas. I've used it since then and even as recently as last week.

I went into the pantry today to use it. There was this weird, almost floating stuff on top--almost like a layer of oil. I've seen vinegar before with sediment. This wasn't sediment. When I shook the bottle up the entire layer kind of moved around together and didn't separate. I have no idea what it is. I didn't think vinegar would mold.

The bottle has already been tossed, but any ideas what this is or what caused it? I keep it stored in the pantry like I've always done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I think it might have been the "Mother" You can use it to make more vinegar. I tried to do that once, but I had no luck. It is not dangerous & the vinegar is still good to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar

Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think it might have been the "Mother" You can use it to make more vinegar. I tried to do that once, but I had no luck. It is not dangerous & the vinegar is still good to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar

That was my first thought, too, but doesn't the mother usually settle at the bottom of the bottle? I wouldn't describe it as looking like oil.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That was my first thought, too, but doesn't the mother usually settle at the bottom of the bottle? I wouldn't describe it as looking like oil.

I don't know, but it does stick together when the bottle is shaken, as Op said. Mine did look a bit oily or slimy, it is weird looking stuff.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
Hmm....interesting thought about the mother. I have some organic apple cider vinegar with the mother. It does settle at the bottom in that bottle. Just odd because this was on the top.

Updating this--You both win the prize for the day! I googled images of red wine vinegar "mother." That's what it is!

Old 04-23-2018, 04:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
They are correct. It is the Mother. Kombucha is related, and does float to the surface.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:52 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
Reminds me of a story my brother tells about his Sicilian Father-in-Law -- "I killed the mother, I killed the mother!"

Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
If you get a bottle of good vinegar with the mother in it, you can pour just a bit of it into a bottle of not so good vinegar and then the mother will grow in that one and improve it. We will usually get a small pint of the good stuff and a gallon of the not as good stuff and inoculate the gallon and then wait until it's got the floating streamers of mother in it.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you get a bottle of good vinegar with the mother in it, you can pour just a bit of it into a bottle of not so good vinegar and then the mother will grow in that one and improve it. We will usually get a small pint of the good stuff and a gallon of the not as good stuff and inoculate the gallon and then wait until it's got the floating streamers of mother in it.
Thank you! I didn't know that.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:38 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The first thing I thought of when I read this is that a gallon of vinegar will last me the rest of my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink