Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
If you were responding to me: the whole point of my original post was that I DON’T have to iron these napkins.
No I was just making a general statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Cloth, always, and either cotton or linen. I dry them on a drying rack or outdoors on a clothes line to minimize wrinkles. I iron cloth napkins only for special occasions with the in-laws.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:13 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
You need to invite a better class of guest. Seriously.
No worries, refugee, that was decades ago, when my guests at the time were all in their 20s. Haven't had a dinner party in a long time.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have a whole drawer full of beautiful cotton napkins that are probably going to be donated or re-purposed. I love them but they are too much work. They are a leftover from a time when we did more gracious living. Yes, they have to be ironed. And after you wash, iron, and fold them...it will all probably have to be redone when you use them because they have been folded so long.
YS, they sound wonderful. If you're not going to use them at the table, I have seen others frame vintage embroidered or pretty napkins & display them in their homes. I also saw someone take them & make small pillows out of them to place on sunroom chairs or rocking chairs. She sewed a cheap white hankerchief onto the back for strength as the napkins were fragile. It was a nice country look. My mum made small sachets with some of hers. She left her white wedding gift linen in the cellar for decades, 'til it was beyond repair... too bad, cuz we kids begged her many times to bring it up to use at the table. But, I get it... white linen & a gaggle of kids... she had enough work already.

Quote:
My grandma... also ironed underwear and sheets! And hung all that stuff out to dry too. I have no idea how she found the time and energy!
My mum did the same, too. But, when I was young & my da' was still around, she didn't work outside of the home, so her whole day was busy with household chores. And, we were poor, so my mum washed clothing for 7 kids & 2 adults on a scrub board in a large, tin baby bath. When I was small... maybe 7... it was my job to help. Different times.

Quote:
Those spun poly ones look great but you will probably never get lipstick or greasy stains out of them!
They are challenging, but I did find a godsend. The dollar stores sell laundry bar soap. 1 is Zote. It's pink with a lovely scent. Anytime I have a tough stain... oil, espresso, tomato sauce, even older stains... I wet the corner of the soap & rub it onto the stain, even poly tees & table napkins. It normally sits a few days before I do the wash, cuz I'm a 1 person household, so I do 1-2 loads/wk max. Never had a stain not come out. Only once/twice I had to do it a 2nd time.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Paper napkins because they are compostable. I don't want to wash more stuff.

Besides, I hate the mental image of stained cloth napkins. Same reason for why I don't use a towel to clean the table before a meal. I hate the idea of collecting the table scraps inside the towel and then having to shake them out in the garbage can. Grosses me out. I'd rather use paper napkins to do the same thing and then throw the whole thing in the trash (err, compostable bin).

Old 05-01-2018, 07:39 PM

336 posts, read 575,344 times
Cloth napkins here. Bed Bath and Beyond have them so cheap! Wash and iron. Have so many colors!!!

Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
We use plain cloth towels that require no ironing. We generally get them when they are marked down at either TJ MAxx or Marshalls.

Honestly, we use no paper napkins and about one roll of paper towels.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 PM

10,896 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Always cotton napkins, and who cares if they're ironed?
I have some just for special occasions, fold them neatly right out of the dryer to prevent wrinkles.

Btw, the framed linens pictured in the post above are handkerchiefs, not napkins.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Btw, the framed linens pictured in the post above are handkerchiefs, not napkins.
Lol. It was given as an example. The end results would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink