Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd take it back. It might have gotten warm at the store sitting on the back dock etc. Milk's expensive.
On a couple of occasions, I've purchased frozen dinners at a local grocery store (let's call it "Gemstone" - locals will know what chain I'm talking about) that have obviously been allowed to thaw and refreeze. I've also found yogurt and kefir in their dairy section several times that was several weeks past its sell by date (one time, it was two months) - when I'd tell them about it, they'd say they'd make sure it didn't happen again. I always read the labels on things when I buy them - but that doesn't eliminate the possibility you raise, that it spoiled at the store due to improper refrigeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, if we can't call it almond "milk" then we also can't say peanut "butter"...and definitely no American "cheese"!

Although some people are so mentally challenged that they have starved babies to death by feeding them almond milk...apparently thinking that it had the same nutrients as actual milk.
And what about grape-nuts?

Old 04-28-2018, 02:34 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Almond milk contain a lot of sugar.

Organic milk has a much longer 'shelf' life.
Agree about the organic milk. If anything, in my experience, it usually tastes just fine even a few days after the date on the carton. Whole milk seems to last longer, too. And yes, this is after opening it.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 PM

91 posts, read 475,802 times
I use to work in a market. The expiration date you see on any refrigerated product is only a scientific "guess". Manufacturers cannot account for things after they have left the plant such as ... differences in refrigerator temps, seasonal locations, air/vacuum leaks, consumer negligence, items that have been in a shopping cart for more than 30 minutes then returned for whatever reason, the time of purchase and distance from store to home, the amount of times you open and close your refrigerator or the amount of times you take the carton out of the fridge, etc., etc., etc.

When buying any kind of "milk", consider buying a carton that has a twist cap for optimal freshness rather than one with just a pop cap. I've bought many cartons of milk that have lasted a few days past the expiration date. Can't say the same for cartons with pop caps.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM

354 posts, read 385,253 times
I am just going to throw this out there but Calafia Original Unsweetened milk is my absolute FAVORITE. soooooo good.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I know this is true, but I DON'T buy organic milk because the ultra-pasteurization process makes it taste funny to me, and also I'm leery of making the milk even less like natural raw milk than it already would be.

I don't buy raw milk because it's too expensive and it can harbor bacteria. Ultra-pasteurized milk, though, has had absolutely everything killed off including some vitamins and proteins (according to your link). So I steer a middle ground with regular, pasteurized, hormone-free whole milk.
Ultra-pasteurization is bad, because it is cooked longer to get rid of almost all good bacteria. It is done to increase shelf life at the expense of nutrients. You are basically getting those non-refrigeration required half-half milk. Milk companies does it because they don't want their products to be tossed out like non-organic milk.

This is why I don't buy organic milk, they are less wholesome than regular milk.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Almond milk contain a lot of sugar.

Organic milk has a much longer 'shelf' life.
Huh? Unsweetened Almond milk has 30 calories per serving, 0 grams of sugar. Skim has 90 calories and 12 grams of sugar..

If my milk spoils too much before the date I try to take it back to the store. Quite possible they weren't storing it correctly and if so, they should know about it.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In general it does. But my last half gallon did not make it to the expiration date.

My theory is that it sat out of refrigeration for some time in the supply chain.
Get Shamrock milk. It's produced right in Arizona and is much more wholesome than the Safeway or Walmart store brand. It's also going to be much fresher.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:26 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Whole milk good until 5/1/18. This morning it was spoiled. I’m switching to soy milk for good.
Do you have an accurate thermometer in your refrigerator? Manufacturers recommend the temperature should be kept between 35 and 40 degrees F, to keep food fresh. I run mine at about 34 degrees F, as I cook large pots of food, that may take me 10 days to finish. Don't go by the temperature indicated on the adjusting knob or slide in the refrigerator, but use a separate thermometer, specialized for the purpose, to keep tabs on how cold it really is inside.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Whole milk good until 5/1/18. This morning it was spoiled. I’m switching to soy milk for good.
Gross. So you had one bad experience and you switch to something full of artificial crap? lol Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink