Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:54 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

Title sounds misleading, I know, but there are so many terms for what I am looking for that I am not sure what to use.

Here's situation. Wife is an old school cook. She cooks from scratch. Makes her own dough, for example, from flour, mixing it by hand. Makes salads cutting everything by hand. Makes pastries mixing stuffing with hand held mixer. Cooks soups again cutting ingredients by hand. And so on. Oh, meat grinding.
After last meat grinding session with hand cranked grinder (that never grinds well anyway) question came up. Well, your 60 is around, maybe you'd like to have a ............... (whatever that thing is called) that does all of those jobs for you in more or less one piece? We actually had one back in 'ol country, power unit with 8 I believe attachments, it was used weekly.
Just like this:

But the thing, for example, had ALL metal grinder and Kitchen Aid has plastic.

So far, I know it's not "food processor" because that looks like a basic slicer/grater to me. Looks more like one of them KitcheAid standing units that you can plug in various attachments, right?

Here's my question to you home cooks:

- what exactly am I looking for to make it as versatile and USEFUL as possible, I don't want another box full of kitchen gadgets sit in closet.
- for this particular cook, what would you recommend? I was lost in pages and pages of same KitchenAid units and kits. I am no particular allegiance to the brand, it's all made you know where, I really don't care, I just want useful, durable and versatile. She always cooks big portions, can's change that cruise control setting, so it should be capable of them. Habit. And no Apple involvement. Yes, Apple as in electronics. Don't ask. She's got i-Phone, that's where the buck stops. I mean - no apps and such and less gadgetry, more functionality, if it makes sense.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I believe most of those food processor things have a meat grinder attachment available. However a friend recently bought a meat grinder for making home cooked dog food, and she says this thing even grinds up bone (desirable for dog food). I'll ask her.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
KitchenAid stand mixer with attachments. I have this, and used the heck out of it when I used to have a lot of people to cook for. I believe the basic attachments come as a group, but some others come separately, according to what you want. I have used it for bread dough, meat grinding, grating and slicing vegetables for salads, and pasta making. I never got into pasta making much, but your wife might.

Perhaps other brands of mixers are good too, but my KitchenAid has been a workhorse.

I’m sure she would enjoy it, once she got the hang of how everything goes together. The manual is easy to follow.

I have a Cuisinart food processor with attachments too, and it does some of the same things, but between the two, I’d go for the mixer.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Look for a multi-purpose blender or kitchen system.

You'll find old older ones on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-OSTER-R....c100677.m4598

Old 04-29-2018, 10:08 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Title sounds misleading, I know, but there are so many terms for what I am looking for that I am not sure what to use.

Here's situation. Wife is an old school cook. She cooks from scratch. Makes her own dough, for example, from flour, mixing it by hand. Makes salads cutting everything by hand. Makes pastries mixing stuffing with hand held mixer. Cooks soups again cutting ingredients by hand. And so on. Oh, meat grinding.
After last meat grinding session with hand cranked grinder (that never grinds well anyway) question came up. Well, your 60 is around, maybe you'd like to have a ............... (whatever that thing is called) that does all of those jobs for you in more or less one piece? We actually had one back in 'ol country, power unit with 8 I believe attachments, it was used weekly.
Just like this:

But the thing, for example, had ALL metal grinder and Kitchen Aid has plastic.

So far, I know it's not "food processor" because that looks like a basic slicer/grater to me. Looks more like one of them KitcheAid standing units that you can plug in various attachments, right?

Here's my question to you home cooks:

- what exactly am I looking for to make it as versatile and USEFUL as possible, I don't want another box full of kitchen gadgets sit in closet.
- for this particular cook, what would you recommend? I was lost in pages and pages of same KitchenAid units and kits. I am no particular allegiance to the brand, it's all made you know where, I really don't care, I just want useful, durable and versatile. She always cooks big portions, can's change that cruise control setting, so it should be capable of them. Habit. And no Apple involvement. Yes, Apple as in electronics. Don't ask. She's got i-Phone, that's where the buck stops. I mean - no apps and such and less gadgetry, more functionality, if it makes sense.

Thank you

But since she does prepare foods by hand etc, would she really LIKE to have a new appliance?

Last edited by greatblueheron; 04-29-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
But since she does prepare foods by hand etc, would she really LIKE to have a new appliance wtc.?
That was going to be my question as well.

Some people like doing all that by hand, and buying a bunch of different gadgets is just going to be a waste of money.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I was thinking the same, and also the newer units are never going to be made as well as the older ones were. They were meant to last. I thought someone who does everything by hand might enjoy hand tools, but excellent ones. Good knives and cutting board, newer grinder with sharp blades. You might look at some of the good cutlery brands and see if they have any grinders that would do a good job.

I also have KitchenAid and while the machine and motor are wonderful, I've had to replace the plastic attachments (or just give them up) and the prices are horrible and only getting worse.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:02 AM

I prepare most things by hand too....got rid of single use appliances like toaster.

Like NYC said, some fine knives maybe....the only appliance I use occasionally is the food processor...chops, slices, purees, blends, mixes etc. but could well do without it...plus it takes a lot of space.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:10 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
I don't recommend cooking your wife. It won't end well.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I don't recommend cooking your wife. It won't end well.
Hee hee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink