Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 04:31 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Is there a reason you're YELLING?
Sorry, I copied and pasted this. It was easier putting my answers in capitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 04:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Pounding chicken breasts with a mallet.
I WASH THE BREASTS, REMOVE THE FAT AND SINEW, LAY IT FLAT AND CUT HORIZONTALLY WITH A KNIFE INTO THIN PIECES. THEN I FREEZE THEM IN LAYERED PAIRS ON COOKIE SHEETS LINED WITH PARCHMENT PAPER SO I DON’T EVER HAVE TO POUND IT THIN. I BAG IT IN A FREEZER BAG AND JUST GRAB THE AMOUNT I NEED FOR A RECIPE.

I hate wiping mushrooms off. It is so tedious.
I WASH MINE, SLICE THEM, THEN BOIL THEM, THEN i FRY THEM IN A BIT OF BUTTER THEY BROWN UP MUCH NICER THAN FRYING FROM RAW

Cleaning up is the worst and scrubbing pans, but for actual food prep.. peeling potatoes.

YEP, CLEANING UP IS ONE ON MY LIST OF DISLIKES. EMPTYING THE DISHWASHER IS HIGH UP THERE TOO ON THE LIST.

I usually buy baby spinach and arugula, not bothering with stem removal.

SAME HERE, NEVER BUY FULL SIZE SPINACH. I LIKE THE SPRING MIX OF YOUNG GREENS

Shopping. I despise going to the grocery.
THE SHOPPING I DON’T MIND, IT’S WASHING THE PRODUCE AND PUTTING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Peeling a butternut squash or a rutabaga.

COOK THEM BOTH IN A BIT OF WATER IN A SHALLOW DISH, COVERED WITH WAX PAPER IN YOUR MICROWAVE UNTIL SOFT. EASY TO PEEL WHEN IT’S COOKED.

Zesting anything and grating cheese.

ZESTING, I DON’T HAVE A RECIPE THAT NEEDS TO ZEST ANYTHING, BUT I USE MY FOOD PROCESSOR USING THE CUTTING BLADE INSTEAD OF GRATING CHEESE. CUBE IT FIRST, TOSS IT IN A WHIRL AWAY, THEN POP EACH PART INTO THE DISHWASHER.

Garlic, I can never get it minced small enough. I know the proper method, I just can't seem to get it right. Not worth the trouble. Or the smelly fingers.
PEEL THE GARLIC AND USE A GARLIC PRESS. IT COMES OUT MINCED WITH NO SMELLY FINGERS, THEN JUST RINSE THE PRESS IN HOT SOAPY WATER TO CLEAN OR PUT IT INTO YOUR DISHWASHER.
Well OK then.

But I hate using a garlic press, and personally I’d rather chop as use one. But I’d rather just spoon out the stuff already chopped.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:55 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
* Grocery shopping (used to love it. Now I realize what a labor-intensive and time-consuming process it is. Walking up and down aisles, taking items off shelf, reading labels. Putting them in the cart. Taking cart to checkout. Removing every item and placing them on the conveyor belt for scanning. Placing every item in bags. Loading bags back into the cart. Taking them to vehicle (sometimes in inclement weather. Loading bags into vehicle. Driving through traffic to get home. Unloading bags and putting items away. Repeat a few days or perhaps a week later. Ugh)
I agree. This is why I started using Kroger ClickList when it began almost 2 years ago. I still buy meat at either Publix or Fresh Market.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Doing dishes and cleaning up in general.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I work full time, while my spouse has retired. It's funny how much I miss the food prep and grocery shopping now that he does it all. He cleans up too. All I have to do these days is make my lunch. So that's the "cooking" chore I most abhor. I really do dislike chopping up celery and onions to make tuna salad though.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:17 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well OK then.

But I hate using a garlic press, and personally I’d rather chop as use one. But I’d rather just spoon out the stuff already chopped.
I agree on the garlic press. It turns out more of a paste texture that I don't love. The jar stuff works great.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Zesting anything and grating cheese.
Really? I do enjoy these 2 chores ... they just make everything better. And I feel so creative

Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i can prep wild game in the kitchen and enjoy it but when it comes to making a salad.... that's about my least favorite ...maybe why ive avoided it for decades....

but...... the real kicker is.....if i make a big dinner with lots of guests .....and no one volunteers or helps with clean up.... makes me want to throw the dessert at them
so, i clear the air before the meal... now i encourage the younger kids to help....... it's good for them.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Me too. I’ve been food shopping for 48 years. After retirement I insisted DH accompany me for the main grocery run. I have delegated him to buy the stuff he wants, and a few other no brainer items. We team up for check out, and loading. But I enjoy shopping at Whole Foods, and prefer to do that by myself.
For me, it’s Fresh Market. It’s almost like going to the spa.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:31 AM

12,842 posts, read 868,353 times
Right now I hate it all! I have been on kitchen duty for over fifty years since I was around nine years old for both cooking and cleaning. I am tired of it. I used to find joy in cooking, but not anymore.

After I win a lottery jackpot I will rarely be on kitchen duty. (Also, I will never clean another bathroom either.) I'm not lazy, I just don't feel like doing certain things anymore. I often think life is easier if you pretend you don't know how to cook; or never learn to cook in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink