Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times

Advertisements

We've used some recipes from a couple of the box meal sites. I had to guess at the spice amounts, as they come premixed apparently, but the dishes came out good to great. We were introduced to black garlic through 1 of those recipes and are thankful for that. It's a great ingredient.

If it was just me, I would probably use them at least sometimes, especially as I don't mind cooking 2 or 3 meals in large amounts, then eating off leftovers the rest of the week. Unfortunately, DH is not of the same mindset, so we cook something fresh pretty much every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
A friend of mine ordered a trial of Blue Apron and loved it! I think they could be an excellent option for short-term use when grocery shopping is problematic. My only concerns are the expense and the excessive packaging.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

I think that the overwhelming majority of students could find someplace to get a good meal for under $20-30.
He does have subway sandwiches, burgers or tacos, but most nights he goes to a neighborhood restaurant, orders an entree that costs $12 or so. By the time he buys a drink and tips, he's at $20. If he goes with friends, gets an appetizer, orders a couple beers, he's at $30.

He says that he spends $140/week if he goes to buy groceries. Then he still has to cook and clean up.

Believe me, I've tried to talk him into more frugal living.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:02 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Do you mean like Blue Apron etc., where they send you the ingredients???

I've been wondering too....think the expense is an issue for me, likely.
I mean any kind of meal kit.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,448 times
Judging from the responses I will pass on meal kits.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,121,978 times
Any current experience with HelloFresh?

I received a coupon for 3 dinners (serves 2) for $34 total plus $10 ebates cash back. The coupon is good for 3 weeks. For that price ($24 for 6 meals), I figure it is worth trying since it is just me and my husband.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:02 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I have a close friend with fairly severe disabilities who has used Blue Apron and loves to cook. She was living with me at the time and we both enjoyed the new foods and flavor profiles. And she didn’t exhaust herself at the grocery store.

Now she just has Amazon deliver her groceries

Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Since the thread started, I’ve become a weekly user of dinnerly.com meal kit. It is the only one I know of that is $5. per meal. I’m not a customer of any that cost more than that. I get 3, two person meals every Tuesday.

What I like about it is, for three nights a week, I do not have to think of something to make. I was tired of making the same old things, but now I make Asian things or Mexican or other things I normally wouldn’t think of. Sometimes the meals are outstanding, but usually just average. No big deal, they serve the purpose and another dinner will be along tomorrow. If you are a big eater, this is not for you. Each serving of meat is 4 oz. but we find it is enough for us. The meat and produce are good quality, but frequently, something is missing from the box. They are pretty good at crediting for a screwup. Most of the time I just make do.

Another major benefit is it keeps me out of the grocery stores. I used to do a couple of big grocery trips every week, and that was very expensive. Now, I only go to pick up a few items and have saved hundreds of $$$.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A while back I saw a post somewhere. It said, "I'm hungry for fajitas. Going to have to stop by the store and pick up a fajita kit tonight." And it knocked me for a loop. Never heard of such a thing. It sounds about as senseless to me as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich kit.

So I thought, "Now that's either about the most clueless, most spendthrift or most lazy person I've ever read!" And just think - it won't be nearly as good as what could be made from scratch for half the price with plenty of fajita making material left over for another day.

I'm still shaking my head at the waste, the extravagance, the downright nerve! Don't even want to inhabit the same planet with the people who make and consume these! LOL!

On a more reasonable note perhaps they make sense for single people. I saw an ad for a pot roast kit at our local grocery and I can see not wanting to buy five pounds of onions, five pounds of potatoes and a bag of carrots if you live alone and often dine out.

Nonetheless there's a way to do these things which provides leftovers for other meals and can save a person money. (Of course this is the same generation that as children took two sips of a can of soda, set it down and walked away. First time I saw that I was astounded. Like my dad would have said back in the day, "That don't go" and that would have been the last can of soda he ever would have bought me.)
I know this is really old, but I just read it, and it reminded me of one of the first posts I ever made on C-D.

I overheard a young woman in the produce section, asking, “Do you have those special baked potatoes with the plastic on them?” Talk about clueless.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:17 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,121,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Since the thread started, I’ve become a weekly user of dinnerly.com meal kit. It is the only one I know of that is $5. per meal. I’m not a customer of any that cost more than that. I get 3, two person meals every Tuesday.

What I like about it is, for three nights a week, I do not have to think of something to make. I was tired of making the same old things, but now I make Asian things or Mexican or other things I normally wouldn’t think of. Sometimes the meals are outstanding, but usually just average. No big deal, they serve the purpose and another dinner will be along tomorrow. If you are a big eater, this is not for you. Each serving of meat is 4 oz. but we find it is enough for us. The meat and produce are good quality, but frequently, something is missing from the box. They are pretty good at crediting for a screwup. Most of the time I just make do.

Another major benefit is it keeps me out of the grocery stores. I used to do a couple of big grocery trips every week, and that was very expensive. Now, I only go to pick up a few items and have saved hundreds of $$$.
A big benefit for me would be avoiding the grocery store. Also, I am not a big eater.

I like the dinner prep meals because it offers a little variety without the monetary commitment and possible waste on infrequently used spices and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink