U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,378,741 times

Advertisements

do you eat them? are they as good as your own cooking? any downside to buying and eating them? healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:05 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,266,968 times
Do you mean like Blue Apron etc., where they send you the ingredients???

I've been wondering too....think the expense is an issue for me, likely.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM

14,808 posts, read 25,268,682 times
I was shopping at my local Frys (Krogers) and noted that they now have these meals both in prepackaged and in bulk.

When I look at the components for "Dinner for 2 for $16", I have to say that I am unimpressed. There is barely enough food there for two people and it looks to me like I could buy the components for about $4-5.

I really cannot see that eliminating the 10-15 minutes of prep is really worth the premium that they are asking for.

The frozen bulk meals just do not look attractive and they want about $8/lb.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:35 AM

57,826 posts, read 4,276,989 times
Years ago, when I had a health issue, that meant I could not prep our meals, I did buy a few of those pre made crock pot meals. They were easy to do, but not worth the money, unless you had no other way of prepping the veg etc.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:48 PM

1,718 posts, read 493,121 times
I'm sorry, I just can't grasp the thought of someone else selecting ingredients for me. I've also heard these packaged meals are more expensive than shopping for yourself.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM

39,679 posts, read 49,012,644 times
A columnist in our paper tried Hello Fresh. My friend tried Blue Apron. Everyone says good things about them.
I am a long time scratch cook, so I would never spend so much money on dinner fixins as these services charge.
Everything is relative, though. If you would find one of these cost effective, I’m sure you would like them.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 PM

17,932 posts, read 18,121,194 times
Probably companies selling very overpriced meals, that is my guess.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 PM

19,111 posts, read 25,024,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Probably companies selling very overpriced meals, that is my guess.

very overpriced ....but you get a pretty package and cooking instructions...... you pay dearly for it..

might as well buy schwans....

Old 05-07-2018, 11:35 PM

7,497 posts, read 4,273,065 times
A while back I saw a post somewhere. It said, "I'm hungry for fajitas. Going to have to stop by the store and pick up a fajita kit tonight." And it knocked me for a loop. Never heard of such a thing. It sounds about as senseless to me as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich kit.

So I thought, "Now that's either about the most clueless, most spendthrift or most lazy person I've ever read!" And just think - it won't be nearly as good as what could be made from scratch for half the price with plenty of fajita making material left over for another day.

I'm still shaking my head at the waste, the extravagance, the downright nerve! Don't even want to inhabit the same planet with the people who make and consume these! LOL!

On a more reasonable note perhaps they make sense for single people. I saw an ad for a pot roast kit at our local grocery and I can see not wanting to buy five pounds of onions, five pounds of potatoes and a bag of carrots if you live alone and often dine out.

Nonetheless there's a way to do these things which provides leftovers for other meals and can save a person money. (Of course this is the same generation that as children took two sips of a can of soda, set it down and walked away. First time I saw that I was astounded. Like my dad would have said back in the day, "That don't go" and that would have been the last can of soda he ever would have bought me.)

Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 PM

1,279 posts, read 716,294 times
I get the impression that those who use these services are trying to save time and effort more than they're trying to save money. They're not working 40 hrs/week -- they're working more like 50 or 60. The idea of not having to go shopping at the supermarket, take the food home, and then prepare it is very attractive. If it's delivered to their door with simple instructions on how to prepare it and how long the prep takes, well that's a winner for a lot of tired, hungry, hard working people. Same for all the new delivery services from supermarkets where you call in your grocery order and they fill it and bring it to you. Time saver. And the services that now bring already prepped and cooked hot meals from your favorite restaurants straight to your door. Time saver, work saver. It's not about just calling out for pizza anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or