Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Have any of you seen the new Burger King commercial where the mom tries to get the little girl to eat the apple? The mom says "please eat the apple", and the girl says "no" about three times, and finally screams "NO!!!". Everytime I see that commercial I want to give that girl a swat. Too many parents backing down nowdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 02:35 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Yep, would drive me batty too. My kids are totally not picky, & eat just about everything. I do feed them any & everything though, so I think I'm moving them away from my pickiness. =) DH, I always say, would eat s*** on a plate if I served it to him. LOL Thankfully, the kids take after him! LOL

Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default diary of a picky eater....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
My sister-in(because)-law, husband, and 3 girls will not try ANYTHING new. When they(the daughters of inlaws) say "gross.....etc" I hear their parents.
I don't understand the relationship here..? sister because?? daughters of inlaws? hear their parents? Huh??
These kids are mid teens, so are mine. My kids will try anything once, then I don't push it. These girls, not a chance! I could have a fried chicken leg on thier plate and call it sumsugi(or use any japanese sounding word) and they wouldn't try it.
Not my place to "force" someones kid to try something, I just want to "open" their eyes. How do you do this with stubborn kids?
capt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Sounds like they are a bunch of hicks, no offense.
To me, they sound too urban! Fast food diets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have never understood how incredibly narrow minded people can be about food and trying new culinary experiences.
Some of us aren't foodies, I guess...
Food to me is one of the greatest joys has to offer and if we only ate what we were used to, we would miss out on so many gastronomic delights.
We all have likes and dislikes but until you have tried something I find it borderline stupid to say "yukk" or"gross". Not even borderline, just plain stupid. Sorry if I offend anyone.
I have often wondered why these people are not just given a pill as real food is obviously of no interest to them whatsoever.

Sadly this appalling attitude to food ( and life in general I suspect) is found in our mdern society because kids are so pampered as to only eat what they want. Very true, I think. Parents have no control, and kids dictate to their progenitors rather than the other way around. Mind you the parents often have the same "tastes" or lack of. Don't think I agree.

We need to re-instate a true love of eating and an appreciation of gastronomy. don't mean to be rude, but have you heard of how bad OBESITY is in this country??

Picky eaters are a mystery to me. How can one limit oneself to only a few morsels of food when the world is your oyster so to speak ?
How incredibly narrow-minded and idiotic. ooh, that's harsh!
I cannot imagine more mind blowingly boring people than those poor souls who are afraid and suspicious of everything new. Life must be so tedious for them. So lacking in lustre and joie de vivre.
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Personally, I can't get over the fact that the kids were allowed to call food "gross" or say "yuck" about food prepared in a house where they are the guests. I would never allow my children to do this. It is completely rude and ungrateful! I say let them go hungry! I don't think that's what the OP said, is it??! I agree, as a guest, that's unacceptable, but I don't think that's what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Things I find hardest to stomach are things with certain pungeant smells ( things that smell rotten for example), purely because it triggers a natural response in the stomach which makes it difficult to ingest.
Yeah, it's a natural protective mechanism we have for things that are rotten!!
We have forgotten that life isn't supposed to be completely bland and the same all the time, perfectly safe, perfectly uniform, perfect, that sometimes if we eschew instant self gratification we can stumble upon delicious discoveries. Food-wise and life-wise.
I relish new tastes, even the "yukk" ones. I actually pity people who are live in fear of the "what if".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
It's definately their parents fault for raising them this way. (No offense, I know the parents are your family members), but seriously...
You need to raise kids from a young age to try new things. I would say it is probably gonna take a while to break them of this habit if at all. I have grown friends 21 and beyond who are picky eaters because their parents were closed minded.
My grandma always shoved mystery food in my mouth as soon as I could chew and I am thankful for it. Being that picky is going to force them to miss out on trying interesting cultural dishes.
LOL! Let me start by saying I found this thread when I clicked on "new posts' just to see what's current.
The more I read, the more I thought, wow, listen to these people! Then, I realized it was under "food and drink"! LOL. no wonder!
Still, it makes me laugh, and I gotta add my opinions.

1. I was a very picky eater when I was little, but my parents were like everyone on here, especially my mom. So, it's not always the parents.
2. With that said, the OP said it was the 'whole family' who didn't want to try anything new, so there you go, as far as that problem there.
3. The kids are teens. Typical teens, as some also noted. Their job is to rebel, so they're going to resist anything suggested. Not a big deal, IMO.
4. I've gone through phases as an adult, where I loved trying new foods, but now I'm back in my "not interested in foods much" stage. My mom and my sister are big foodies, but me? aa..
I'm single, and sometimes don't really care, or want to bother. Don't shutter but I'm pretty content with cereal or an egg sandwich for dinner, sometimes. Hey, I sure don't want to try something that smells "ROTTEN'!

So, I'm hearing my mom and sister in this forum, and especially my mom, who's always saying at restaurants;
"don't you want to try this? It's really good. Come on, you'd really like this... (a few minutes later) Are you sure you don't want to try this? You don't know what you're missing. Just take a bite. Well, how are you going to know if you don't try it?
and I say, I DON'T WANT IT! WOULD YOU JUST LET ME EAT?"

The funny thing is, (and what might surprise you) is that in every other area of my life, I'm adventurous, non-mainstream, I love diversity and variety in everything, including people, thought, lifestyles, cultures, etc. I can't stand the 'status quo' or 'traditional'. I'm a true free-spirit!
So, I guess I'm probably a bit confusing to all you foodies, but I guess I just wanted to show that sometimes 'a picky eater is just a picky eater'...

and apparently, you foodies, are really into your foodies!

Old 03-29-2008, 06:19 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
The funny thing is, (and what might surprise you) is that in every other area of my life, I'm adventurous, non-mainstream, I love diversity and variety in everything, including people, thought, lifestyles, cultures, etc. I can't stand the 'status quo' or 'traditional'. I'm a true free-spirit!

if you are so adventurous, then why not venture into a new tatse? what would it cost you--not your life for sure, maybe a couple of taste buds.
i always feel like asking the "pickies" what is the big deal! just TRY it. it gets frustrating o say the least--they bore me just by watching what THEY eat.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:09 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post

if you are so adventurous, then why not venture into a new tatse? what would it cost you--not your life for sure, maybe a couple of taste buds.
i always feel like asking the "pickies" what is the big deal! just TRY it. it gets frustrating o say the least--they bore me just by watching what THEY eat.
Let me clarify: I am very open to trying new foods. I worked in Food/Bev in hotels for a long time, where every meal was an adventure. I've travelled alot, and there was a time I had everything, including the dishes, to prepare snails as an appetizer at home.
I guess I just lost interest in all that, and things like "mac n cheese", meatloaf, oatmeal, etc started sounding good!
Yes, I've become boring and mundane. I don't like Thai or Chinese, not a curry fan, I tend to enjoy burgers or mexican food...

So, I'm trying to shed light on the mystery of us 'picky eaters', as someone who "just doesn't have the passion' for food, the way most of you here do.
Reading the posts, I thought "wow, these people are really into food! ..reminds me of Mom!" (that's when I discovered I was in the "food and drink" section LOL)

I laugh because I understand how you could be puzzled about someone like me.
But, it's really not the fear of the unknown, as much as I'm content with whatever's familiar, or convenient, because Im interested in other things.

I could imagine snow skiers having the same conversation: how they can't understand why someone would deprive themselves of something that they get such a rush from. They might think those people are boring, and generalize this as "unwilling to try new things". But, for some of us, it just doesn't 'float our boat, the way other things do.

And, as for the example about my mom trying to get me to try something, I think that's more about her 'obsession', and how the woman just won't take no for an answer ! I love her to death, but sometimes I feel like the Honeymooners "One of these days, Alice!"

Old 03-29-2008, 05:31 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I hope this is the right place to post, if not.....oh well.

My sister-in(because)-law, husband, and 3 girls will not try ANYTHING new. When they(the daughters of inlaws) say "gross.....etc" I hear their parents. If it's not hamburger, hot dog, or chicken, then forget it. One of them didn't even believe that fish sticks were made of FISH! She though it was chicken! They have had mountain oysters and liked them........until I told them what they were..........then they wouldn't touch them. One of them likes rice and cucumbers, I tried to get her to eat sushi.......yep a cucumber roll.........absolutly would not, she said "its sushi" even after I explained what was in it.

These kids are mid teens, so are mine. My kids will try anything once, then I don't push it. These girls, not a chance! I could have a fried chicken leg on thier plate and call it sumsugi(or use any japanese sounding word) and they wouldn't try it.

Not my place to "force" someones kid to try something, I just want to "open" their eyes. How do you do this with stubborn kids?

Thanks for the help and listening to my "rant".

capt.
When I was a kid I didn't like the food on my plate touching. Since then, I think I've had everything under the sun. Just let them be; they'll probably grow out of it.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
When I was a kid I didn't like the food on my plate touching. Since then, I think I've had everything under the sun. Just let them be; they'll probably grow out of it.
my DH was like that. he used to come to my parents' house for dinner and want everything on different plates! my mother pretty much stopped that nonesense--lol

Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
im told its a sign of getting old. only they are extremely young. but i would always eat whatever was put b4 me. but now i am older i get more picky.
I think I like this better, except for being old.

acylic bunky 2005

persnickedy kitty

Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
I've really enjoyed reading the posts, thank you and keep it comming.

The youngest girl was at our house yesterday and I was make'n deep fat fried catfish, fried shrimp, and onion rings. I cut the rings the best I could to look like french fries and made the catfish look like chicken strips. Told her it was chicken and fries. After a couple "fries" she asked where I got them, she said there ok, but not as good as usual. I told her it was onion rings, then she said that she wondered about that, I told her she didn't have to eat them......and she didn't. After we were done I asked if she liked the fish. She kinda got mad, but said it was good and she might try it again if I don't tell her what it is. I also told her there were shrimp in there too. She got mad(not real mad, just miffed I guess) and said that was gross. I'll end up pushing it too much and they'll never eat here again, if I cook. But anyway, I'm a jerk, but it sure was fun.

Some one said that they sound like hicks, actually no. My family is. We farm and raise livestock and live in the country. The in-laws live in town, very small town, and are "uppitty" type people. They are the "fast food" people.

I don't care for hot dogs, I'll eat them but don't care for them. I told them that hot dogs are made from the stuff that falls on the floor at the pack'n plant. I joke w/them alot and they laughed, but then again I was somewhat serious.(i know they aren't made of that though)

It is their parents. S-I-L was eating a salad that her aunt made at a family gathering. She was sitting right next to me, eating it and like'n it.......I was surprised cause it had crab in it. I asked the aunt if it was real or imitation crab and the S-I-L went nuts! She YELLED "GROSS", "why did you ruin the salad!" All I could think was, what an idiot for acting like that.

The parents, and their girls, like going to the buffet type places that are all you can eat for $1.99(joke, but that is what the food is worth). No flavor, no thrills type of food.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
To me, they sound too urban! Fast food diets!

LOL! Let me start by saying I found this thread when I clicked on "new posts' just to see what's current.
The more I read, the more I thought, wow, listen to these people! Then, I realized it was under "food and drink"! LOL. no wonder!
Still, it makes me laugh, and I gotta add my opinions.

1. I was a very picky eater when I was little, but my parents were like everyone on here, especially my mom. So, it's not always the parents.
2. With that said, the OP said it was the 'whole family' who didn't want to try anything new, so there you go, as far as that problem there.
3. The kids are teens. Typical teens, as some also noted. Their job is to rebel, so they're going to resist anything suggested. Not a big deal, IMO.
4. I've gone through phases as an adult, where I loved trying new foods, but now I'm back in my "not interested in foods much" stage. My mom and my sister are big foodies, but me? aa..
I'm single, and sometimes don't really care, or want to bother. Don't shutter but I'm pretty content with cereal or an egg sandwich for dinner, sometimes. Hey, I sure don't want to try something that smells "ROTTEN'!

So, I'm hearing my mom and sister in this forum, and especially my mom, who's always saying at restaurants;
"don't you want to try this? It's really good. Come on, you'd really like this... (a few minutes later) Are you sure you don't want to try this? You don't know what you're missing. Just take a bite. Well, how are you going to know if you don't try it?
and I say, I DON'T WANT IT! WOULD YOU JUST LET ME EAT?"

So, I guess I'm probably a bit confusing to all you foodies, but I guess I just wanted to show that sometimes 'a picky eater is just a picky eater'...

and apparently, you foodies, are really into your foodies!

You mention obesity in your response to me, which is exactly why we do need to get kids and people in general interested in real, fresh tasty food. I don't mean to be rude but most countries with a real food culture such as the French or the Italians don't have such an obesity problem.
Good food should be cooked fresh with good ingredients and most of all a good diet is a varied one.

Processed foods , made from the worst ingredients and eaten quickly is the problem.

There is nothing wrong with real fresh food, and gastronomy. This is not what makes you obese.
People have become completely disconnected from their food and its source and there is no culture of food .

Slow , fresh food is better for you, tastes better and will not make you fat if you don't overindulge. Obesity is not linked to a food culture but to a lack of food culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink