Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:57 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it was good back in the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 02:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
It's the Flick's fault, and people JUST fall for it !!!!
Yup. And then when they try all the places in New Haven, they kick themselves for ever paying for Mystic slop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm sure it was good back in the 80's.
If you were really drunk.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Compared to?

...Compared to any cuisine which is locally or regionally famous.

BBQ in the south, cajun food in New Orleans, clam chowder in Boston, lobster in Maine, peaches from Georgia, etc.

New York Pizza is just... whatever. More times than not, I'd rather have a pizza from a national chain.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've heard people from NY/NJ who visited LA complain that the food there sucks, but can the pizza really be THAT bad that they'd prefer one made six or more hours earlier? That doesn't make sense.
I'm sure the crappy airplane food sitting in the holding bins on flights isn't any fresher than waiting 6 hours for a pizza.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Also... this notion that Los Angeles, a metro area of over 10 million people, doesn't have a few authentic New York Pizza places is comical.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I’m from Connecticut and Ive found one decent pizza place in my area of Florida. But it’s still not as good as what I get when I’m visiting my home state. Don’t know what it is, but the northeast has the best pizza by far.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:12 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Having lived in New York for 4 years (when I attended college), I can definitely say there is nothing like the food in New York. I have visited 22 states and have never seen anything like it. Yes, it may be ridiculously overpriced, but the quality of it is worth every cent - and it's not limited to pizza.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:42 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It wouldn't matter anyway.

People get so obsessed with 'authenticity' that they convince themselves that unless the pizza is made in a certain geographic area, it cannot possibly be the same... even if it is the exact same.

This is not limited to pizza, of course. A lot of people are certain that only their food doesn't suck, and only people in their area can make it so it doesn't suck.

Culinary tribalism.

Oh, I don't know. Chicago deep-dish is right up there.

Don't get me wrong - they're both very good styles. But then, as another poster notes, there's great pizza in all sorts of styles all over the country. But both New Yorker and Chicagoans seem to be chugging the OUR SUPER-DUPER INCREDI-PIZZA RULEZ!!!!!!! Kool-Aid straight from the pitcher.
I honestly maintain that San Francisco has the best Sourdough, ever!
Philly has the best soft pretzels, and the Jersey Shore has the best subs!

Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Dang it! My street isn't wide enough or long enough to land a jet.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
blueherons...You're in the Wrong S Fla .... Come to the Hammocks Town Center in West Kendall (SW Miami) come to Amici's and of course ASK for the NY Thin Pizza, cheese only , and you shall be rewarded with the BEST PIZZA you ever had south of Staten Island here in S Fl, Fresh and Amazinng good.

Toni and Amici's have been here for 30 yrs and goinn strong.

Guaranteed.
That's a scary thought going to Kendall but I might just have to make the trek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
With all the New Yorkers in FLA I'm surprised you don't have a local pizzeria owned by some. I'm in coastal NC and we have a local store whose boxes proudly proclaim 'Yes, we really are from Brooklyn', GREAT pizza!
Nothing as good to me as Angelos Coal Fired Pizza on West 57th. Even Lombardi's wasn't as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink