Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM

165 posts, read 241,247 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate when chocolate shakes are made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. McDonald's, burger king.. everyone seems to be making that way. I need to go either to local home made ice cream shops or some specific restaurants like Dennys, Red robin etc if need the chocolate shake made purely with chocolate ice cream. Why chocolate shakes are made that way? Why can't chocolate shakes be made with chocolate ice cream? After all they are 'chocolate' shakes.

Also any recommendations for the places that sell good chocolate shakes? Currently sticking to baskin robbins, but that's too pricey. $5 for small shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
I absolutely hate when chocolate shakes are made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. McDonald's, burger king.. everyone seems to be making that way. I need to go either to local home made ice cream shops or some specific restaurants like Dennys, Red robin etc if need the chocolate shake made purely with chocolate ice cream. Why chocolate shakes are made that way? Why can't chocolate shakes be made with chocolate ice cream? After all they are 'chocolate' shakes.

Also any recommendations for the places that sell good chocolate shakes? Currently sticking to baskin robbins, but that's too pricey. $5 for small shake.
Personally, I prefer them that way and ask specifically for vanilla ice cream. Different strokes I guess.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally, I prefer them that way and ask specifically for vanilla ice cream. Different strokes I guess.
But why sell that as chocolate shake? It is basically mocktail (?) of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

They don't even add milk I guess.. not sure if that qualifies to be a shake itself.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm going to guess that it's because vanilla is the blank slate, so to speak, and they can "make" it chocolate or strawberry or whatever with syrup. Because ice cream can develop freezer burn, it's probably found to be less wasteful to just buy the one flavor and syrup it up to "be" another flavor.

I agree with you -- syrup doesn't make chocolate ice cream out of vanilla.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I like them made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Chocolate ice cream is a little bitter to my taste.

Aren't all shakes made with vanilla ice cream plus flavored syrup?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I like them made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Chocolate ice cream is a little bitter to my taste.

Aren't all shakes made with vanilla ice cream plus flavored syrup?
Nope.. Dennys, Red robin, Bask in Robin, and many home made ice cream shops etc. all make it with chocolate ice cream with milk

Old 05-12-2018, 08:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Nope.. Dennys, Red robin, Bask in Robin, and many home made ice cream shops etc. all make it with chocolate ice cream with milk
It's made with milk if you use vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup, too. At least that's how we made then when I worked at Tastee Freez in high school. Vanilla ice cream, some of the topping that we used for sundaes in whatever flavor the customer wanted, add milk and blend. A scoop of powdered malt flavoring if they wanted a malt.

Again, I prefer it with vanilla ice cream. Any time I've made shakes at home it's been with vanilla ice cream and flavored syrup.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:35 PM

I was just going through a old Reddit thread on this same topic.. Someone termed that shakes made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup used to be called black and white shake.. not sure when it got branded as straight chocolate shake.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
It is to save room. Dennys and RR are much bigger restaurants the fast food and BR is an ice cream shop.

They only carry vanilla then add flavoring. Vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream are the same recipe, just add chocolate.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
You're wrong there. Any place that has a variety of ice cream flavors and syrups, like Friendly's, makes them to order. Your shake is an ice cream flavor, milk, a syrup, and maybe some fruit sludge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink