Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times

Advertisements

Easy answer: because it's cheaper and easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
But why sell that as chocolate shake? It is basically mocktail (?) of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

They don't even add milk I guess.. not sure if that qualifies to be a shake itself.
It was posted on this thread that shakes now use ice cream and milk now? Either way, I've heard a few times that years ago, they legally could NOT call them "milkshakes".

And FF has often served "mock foods", so this is nothing new. I suspect the usual... for convenience, shelf life, cut costs, and they're easier to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you want a custom made shake, you need to go someplace that stocks ice cream in multiple flavors. Fast food restaurants don't do that, they just have vanilla soft serve and that is the base for what they make. McDonald's, Burger King, Sonic, etc. all start with vanilla soft serve.
I don't really even want to go to these places for hamburgers, let alone their shakes. Exception is I'll go back to McD to try out their new "fresh patty burgers" if they have them in my area.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM

18,716 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Easy answer: because it's cheaper and easier.
Umm, you know that chocolate ice cream itself is made from vanilla ice cream, don't you? It's vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in.

Fact.

You **can't** make a chocolate milk shake without using vanilla ice cream. No one on the planet does, or ever has.

And not because it's "cheaper". But because there is no other way.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I don't really even want to go to these places for hamburgers, let alone their shakes. Exception is I'll go back to McD to try out their new "fresh patty burgers" if they have them in my area.
If you are going to take one for the team, please try a shake too so we can get your review on those!

As for whether FF places use "ice cream" - that is still debateable as some people would not categorize soft serve as "ice cream" and I will note that McDonald's calls it simply"vanilla soft serve" and does not include the term ice cream.

Out of curiosity, I looked and it seems like Dairy Queen also uses the term "soft serve" without explicitly calling it ice cream although when you look at the actual ingredients, it says "artificially flavored reduced fat ice cream." (emphasis mine).

Carvel calls its product "ice cream" for both the soft serve and scooped varieties.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:11 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Umm, you know that chocolate ice cream itself is made from vanilla ice cream, don't you? It's vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in.

Fact.

You **can't** make a chocolate milk shake without using vanilla ice cream. No one on the planet does, or ever has.

Can and do. I've done it. I've had it done at an old fashioned soda fountain. I prefer them with vanilla ice cream but you can make a milk shake with any kind of ice cream you choose. Then add chocolate syrup if you want. You can't get many restaurants and fast food places to do it for you but why can't it be done? Never say can't.

As for "now adding milk". Whoever said that, do you mean to say they didn't used to add milk? Or am I mis-reading? Probably am. Very busy day here.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked and it seems like Dairy Queen also uses the term "soft serve" without explicitly calling it ice cream although when you look at the actual ingredients, it says "artificially flavored reduced fat ice cream." (emphasis mine).

There were changes in terminology back in the 90's. What Dairy Queen sells can now legally(?) be called ice cream, but back in the day, it couldn't due to the lower fat content. I believe it would have had to be called "Ice Milk" due to the lower fat content before the rules were changed.

If you want to argue something that Dairy Queen sells.. The "Peanut Buster Parfait" would be a good one. My first 'real' job in high school was at a Dairy Queen.. I always had to tell people that the "Peanut Buster Parfait" had no peanut butter in it.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:38 AM

18,716 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:

Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Can and do. I've done it. I've had it done at an old fashioned soda fountain. I prefer them with vanilla ice cream but you can make a milk shake with any kind of ice cream you choose. Then add chocolate syrup if you want.
Thanks for proving my point.

You CAN make a chocolate milk shake with any kind of ice cream... and that ice cream is always vanilla ice cream, sometimes with other things thrown in too. Chocolate, or strawberries, or pecans, or Oreos or whatever.

And those who insist "I don't want a 'chocolate milk shake' made with vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in later. I want it made with chocolate ice cream!" seem unaware that the chocolate ice cream they say is so different, IS in fact vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in later.

You can't make a chocolate milk shake without starting with vanilla ice cream. Ever. No one ever has. Maybe somebody threw chocolate into that vanilla ice cream before it got to the store and called it "chocolate ice cream" (that's always how chocolate ice cream is made). So people like the OP think they're getting something that wasn't vanilla ice cream... but they'd be wrong. That's my whole point.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:06 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:

You CAN make a chocolate milk shake with any kind of ice cream... and that ice cream is always vanilla ice cream, sometimes with other things thrown in too. Chocolate, or strawberries, or pecans, or Oreos or whatever.

And those who insist "I don't want a 'chocolate milk shake' made with vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in later. I want it made with chocolate ice cream!" seem unaware that the chocolate ice cream they say is so different, IS in fact vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in later.

You can't make a chocolate milk shake without starting with vanilla ice cream. Ever. No one ever has. Maybe somebody threw chocolate into that vanilla ice cream before it got to the store and called it "chocolate ice cream" (that's always how chocolate ice cream is made). So people like the OP think they're getting something that wasn't vanilla ice cream... but they'd be wrong. That's my whole point.

Brown cows.. Don't you know that?

Seriously, tho.. I get your point, but.. Perhaps they're referring to the "Double Chocolate" shake..

Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:

I disagree. Vanilla is a flavoring. You can make a sweet cream base for ice cream and then add flavorings to that- including but not necessarily vanilla.

Sweet cream ice cream

https://www.cookingclassy.com/cold-s...ke-it-at-home/

And here's a recipe for chocolate ice cream that does not include any vanilla.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...e-cream-244716

Personally, 6 oz of chocolate plus 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder for 1 quart of ice cream would make this far too chocolately for me, but some people would of course enjoy it.

Now, having said that, you aren't wrong that many recipes for chocolate ice cream do include some vanilla in there too, because it gives a sweetness and richness to the taste of it, even when you aren't specifically tasting the vanilla. I add vanilla to things like french toast for the same reason, it doesn't taste vanilla flavored but I think it tastes better with the vanilla extract in there than it does without it.

Here's an exactly of another very rich and chocolately version that does include some vanilla.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/ri...ce-cream-28645

But that does not mean that vanilla is the base flavor for all ice cream.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If you want to argue something that Dairy Queen sells.. The "Peanut Buster Parfait" would be a good one. My first 'real' job in high school was at a Dairy Queen.. I always had to tell people that the "Peanut Buster Parfait" had no peanut butter in it.

Why would it? Its not called a peanut butter parfait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink