Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:39 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,731,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Alternately, you can, in fact, cook, using spice blends.

It doesn't make you a better or more virtuous cook to eschew blends.

I rarely buy herbs, because I grow most of my own and seldom need to do so. I buy spices individually, and also premade blends. I buy a lot from Spice House and Penzeys (rival factions of the same family). Some of my most-used blends come from those two merchants.

Spice House has a seasoning blend, Vulcan's Fire, that I use on a lot of things. It contains salt, Louisiana chile mash, garlic, habanero chile, shallots, Tellicherry pepper, lime peel, pimenton de la vera, picante, cumin, allspice and powered vinegar.

They also make a spice blend called Hyde Park (named for the Chicago neighborhood) that involves paprika,shallots, Hawaiian sea salt, and grains of paradise.

From Penzeys, I swear by their English Prime Rib Rub blend for making pot roast. It is salt, celery seed, sugar, black pepper, onion, garlic and arrowroot, the last ingredient of which helps thicken juices to make a good savory gravy all on its own.

I also love their Tsardust Memories, which is salt, garlic, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg and marjoram, and is fantastic on pork, and mixed into ground beef for burgers.

Vulcan's Fire sounds like my kind of mix...very spicy...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,218,121 times
There are some good ones out there, and some cheap ones. I find that the more complex they are (say, more than 5 ingredients not counting salt and pepper), the less appeal they have to me.

The obligatory ones are Garam Masala if you cook Indian, as well as Chinese Five Spice. There are also a lot of good Herbes de Provence and general Italian and eastern Med herbal blends out there.

Penzey's is usually really good with their herb and spice blends, and they have the standards plus a few of their own creations.

One type that I do make my own is Tex-Mex type "taco" seasoning. I have all the individual ingredients on hand, and it is far superior to the Old El Paso/Ortega/etc. mixes that come in envelopes in the taco shell section of the supermarket which contain unneccesary processed ingredients.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Vulcan's Fire sounds like my kind of mix...very spicy...?
A good level, but not hot for the sake of heat. Good flavor, as well.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,033,270 times
Another one I like is DL Jardine's Fajita Seasoning. This works on all proteins also.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:13 PM

4,178 posts, read 3,369,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A good level, but not hot for the sake of heat. Good flavor, as well.
Now I need some.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,078,923 times
Bell's seasoning. I buy a box for Thanksgiving and use it on chicken for the next few months until it's empty. It's good on chicken & turkey sandwiches, too. Smells good, tastes good. The other mixes I use are chili powder & Old Bay.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM

4,560 posts, read 6,252,215 times
The Spice House.... The prices are ridiculously expensive....they may have a huge selection, but $33/pound for peppercorns ? $14/pound for Hungarian Paprika ? $25/pound for basil ?
Try The Sausage Maker for better prices.
Azure Standard another source.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,920,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I have fallen in love with Tony Chachere's...I use it on almost everything savory.
They just recently came out with a no salt version! Tony’s (as it’s known around here) can be a bit salty when you use it as much as we do!

https://www.tonychachere.com/No-Salt...ack-P1351.aspx

Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,542,494 times
I find a spice mix of Italian seasoning to work very well for me. It goes nicely with most things I cook. I get it at a regional discount chain called the Bi-Mart, for only $1.29, for a bottle containing 24 grams. It's always fresh, as they have a high product turnover. The brand is called, "Spice Classics", by the Han-Dee Pak Co. I see no need to pay twice as much for a big-name brand, that has been on the shelf longer and is less flavorful. I should add, that I often use a few squirts of balsamic vinegar, in addition to the spices.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 05-23-2018 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,872,551 times
Make your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink