U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:02 AM

11,460 posts, read 18,077,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Long ago in a galaxy far away Pace was good, then the company sold out to Campbells...
I still like it for what it is. Obviously homemade or even grocery store salsa Fresca is a billion times better, but not the subject of the thread.

Last edited by Debsi; 05-30-2018 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM

31 posts, read 20,300 times
Private Selection (Kroger) Restaurant Style is our go to.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:40 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,067,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I still like it for what it is. Obviously homemade or even grocery store salsa Fresca is a billion times better, but to the subject of the thread.
Here is the thing. I agree that homemade is best. But sometimes there's no time for that.

And if you live on the East Coast, or in an area where Mexican food or Tex-Mex goes underrepresented, I PROMISE you that ordering a great jar salsa from Texas, New Mexico or Arizona is better than whatever you can find in an East Coast grocery store! So I'm looking for recommendations on a great salsa to order online.....

Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 AM

11,460 posts, read 18,077,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Here is the thing. I agree that homemade is best. But sometimes there's no time for that.

And if you live on the East Coast, or in an area where Mexican food or Tex-Mex goes underrepresented, I PROMISE you that ordering a great jar salsa from Texas, New Mexico or Arizona is better than whatever you can find in an East Coast grocery store! So I'm looking for recommendations on a great salsa to order online.....
I know there’s a place for jarred, that’s what I was saying. But I do save my higher expectations for fresh salsa.

To me, there’s not that huge a difference in flavor in the different brands of cooked, jarred salsas (unless it’s chipotle or pineapple or something), but you’ve had several recos and I’m sure you’ll get more.

I find El Felix to be an inexplicably popular restaurant, so it’s been a while since I had their salsa and I don’t remember what I thought.

I also like La Victoria. California mex is much better than Tex-Mex. (ducks)

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM

3,380 posts, read 3,927,025 times
We like Newman's. Pineapple, mango, medium.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 AM

15,820 posts, read 18,532,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Hey y'all, looking for the best (medium, NOT HOT) salsa in a jar. I currently use Arriba brand but it's just OK.
Have heard great things about these brands:

la fogata
texas texas
native texan
el fenix
alberts
jaimes spanish village
sadies

Assuming I can find them, has anyone ever tried these?
The only one on your list I have ever heard of is Sadie's which happens to be from a local restaurant here in Albuquerque. It also happens to be my favorite brand of salsa available off the shelf.

I can kill a large basket of tortilla chips if I have Sadie's salsa to dip it in.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 AM

1,569 posts, read 627,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I still like it for what it is. Obviously homemade or even grocery store salsa Fresca is a billion times better, but not the subject of the thread.
I've had some truly awful homemade and restaurant salsas. A somewhat regional brand is La Costeña, and they offer several excellent varieties.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:03 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,067,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The only one on your list I have ever heard of is Sadie's which happens to be from a local restaurant here in Albuquerque. It also happens to be my favorite brand of salsa available off the shelf.

I can kill a large basket of tortilla chips if I have Sadie's salsa to dip it in.
Oh man, I gotta order some of that stuff ASAP!

Old 05-30-2018, 12:31 PM

86 posts, read 47,108 times
I prefer Jack's Special (Medium), also available in Mild:

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Fresh-.../dp/B00H34GL5Y

Old 05-30-2018, 02:22 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,749,699 times
For jarred, I like Pace.

For special occassions, we get our Jewel's Deli fresh made salsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink