Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Propane or Natural Gas Grilling 15 22.39%
Charcoal Grilling 23 34.33%
Infrared Grilling 0 0%
Smoker 4 5.97%
I like more than one and have more than one 19 28.36%
None.. I cook indoors 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:48 AM

5,812 posts, read 6,872,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
That's the tough part...temp control. Two or more decades of coal cooking and we're STILL finding our way.

Get a Big Green Egg/Kamado Joe/clone. Once at temp, they stay rock solid for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:01 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,375,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Get a Big Green Egg/Kamado Joe/clone. Once at temp, they stay rock solid for hours.
Those are indeed a temptation. Still...we already own 3 or 4 rigs, and $$ is a consideration. I've seen the food you can prep of a Kamado-type.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:37 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,497,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Have you ever tried making Shawarma on the rotisserie?

No I have not and honestly not even thought about it

Great Suggestion as I'm always looking to try something different

I've had it a few time at a restaurant and really liked it

Old 06-05-2018, 04:44 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,356,097 times
Some of my best ever pulled pork has come out of a Weber Kettle using a “Ring of Fire†method of placing the charcoal to get a 12 hour slow burn at 225° or less. A small piece of hickory was placed every 3†or so around the ring to keep a low flow of smoke going. I’ve tried propane more than once and my taste buds call me a phony every time I do. Currently I have an Akorn that is multifunctional for everything from hot dogs to a medium sized turkey. Hopefully soon to be added for multi family parties will be a Lang 36†stick burner with reverse flow for heat or heat/smoke. Straight grilling is hot and quick but most of the time I want to slow down and enjoy the ride and smell the smoke that intrigues the neighborhood.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:01 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,068,254 times
Have you ever made a Fatty? This is the first Fatty I ever made.

I called it a "Cajun Hog Log" as it was made with bulk andouille (unsmoked), boudin and trinity. I smoked it on the BGE using pecan chunks and lump charcoal.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
No I have not and honestly not even thought about it

Great Suggestion as I'm always looking to try something different

I've had it a few time at a restaurant and really liked it
Here is an after market rotisserie basket. The first time I used it was for roasting some Hatch chilis.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Have you ever made a Fatty? This is the first Fatty I ever made.

I called it a "Cajun Hog Log" as it was made with bulk andouille (unsmoked), boudin and trinity. I smoked it on the BGE using pecan chunks and lump charcoal.
We have! Nice weave on that. Did you stuff it?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We have! Nice weave on that. Did you stuff it?
I mixed some homemade bulk andouille with some Jimmy Deans's original and spread it out on a cutting board. I took some homemade boudin out of the casings and spread that on top of the sausage mix, leaving a 1" border without it. I sauteed some onion, green bell and celery (trinity) and spread that on top of the boudin. Then I spread 1/4" chunks of cotija cheese on top and rolled it up sushi fashion. Placed it on top of the bacon weave my wife did then rolled it up. So the "stuffing" was boudin, trinity and cheese.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I mixed some homemade bulk andouille with some Jimmy Deans's original and spread it out on a cutting board. I took some homemade boudin out of the casings and spread that on top of the sausage mix, leaving a 1" border without it. I sauteed some onion, green bell and celery (trinity) and spread that on top of the boudin. Then I spread 1/4" chunks of cotija cheese on top and rolled it up sushi fashion. Placed it on top of the bacon weave my wife did then rolled it up. So the "stuffing" was boudin, trinity and cheese.
I'll be right over with a case of beer.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:16 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,100,486 times
During our last hurricane season here, we had a week-long blackout (Orlando, FL) and EVERY STORE was closed. No propane, no charcoal, etc. So if you didn't plan ahead, you were screwed. I had propane tanks, but kept them full in case of emergency. We are full of oak trees here.

Dug a hole in the ground, surrounded it with cinder blocks, sat a grill in the middle and one on top, made a makeshift seal/door thing out of extra blocks for the top and side, and was able to cook the best tasking foods ever. Since then, I haven't gone back to the charcoal or propane grills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink