Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
It's the water content, plus the seeds/skins. The grapes that might make a good pie have seeds and must be skinned, split and seeded. Seedless grapes don't have enough flavor and pectin to make the skinning of them worthwhile. If you went to all that trouble, then you'd have to cook down the grapes by about 2/3rds to get to a point where your filling *might* set up. Oh, and the color. Without the skins, the grape meat of the flavorful, seeded grapes is a rather unappetizing gray-green.
One of my cookbooks has a recipe for grape pie. It specifies concord grapes, and says (as if the instructions alone are not enough of a warning) that it is VERY labor-intensive. That's probably a big reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
I haven't made a sweet grape pie, but have made a savory tart with roasted grapes, pearl onions, and goat cheese.

see you in the morning: roasted grape and onion tart with almond herb crust

I thought the crust was too thick and hard, but I made my own almond flour instead of buying some so that could have been the reason, besides the fact that I used a different shaped pan and knew the crust was probably too thick and that I should thin it out some but just didn't. I have made the roasted grapes and onions several times though and used them on chicken and pork, as well as made a salad out of the ingredients minus the crust.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Why can’t the grape filling be simmered and thickened using some corn starch? It’s just another wills and ways thing most likely. Big muscadine grapes could be used as they could be easy to peel and remove seed from.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
It doesn't sound that great to me, but there's tons of recipes out there, like this rave:

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-green-grape-pie-121225

Old 06-05-2018, 12:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Ever heard of lemon meringue pie or key lime pie? I think my wife has made grape pie.
I think you missed the logic. Just because there are pies that are made with citrus doesn't mean there are or aren't citrus that are not used in pies. EG: Grapefruit and oranges.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I think you missed the logic. Just because there are pies that are made with citrus doesn't mean there are or aren't citrus that are not used in pies. EG: Grapefruit and oranges.
I found lots of recipes for those too! I'll admit I've only ever tried lemon and lime pies though.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
It's the water content, plus the seeds/skins. The grapes that might make a good pie have seeds and must be skinned, split and seeded. Seedless grapes don't have enough flavor and pectin to make the skinning of them worthwhile. If you went to all that trouble, then you'd have to cook down the grapes by about 2/3rds to get to a point where your filling *might* set up. Oh, and the color. Without the skins, the grape meat of the flavorful, seeded grapes is a rather unappetizing gray-green.
Thanks for the 411. Right on target.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
My grandmother used to make grape pies, about one a year.....because it was very labor intensive. Every one of those grapes had to be peeled and seeded. They were very good, though.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Grapefruits alone have a slightly bitter aftertaste. It might be a good thing, though - to cut on the sweet.
Citrus does well in cold, no bake desserts, like yogurt or cream cheese cakes. Mixed fruit on the top, little glaze to hold it together - delicious.
In America sheet cake and tarts rules. Boring, flavorless dough from the box, layered with heavy cream filling, and colored sugar icing on the top. Portions that could feed 5 people easily.
Now think about using much less of the dough, go flourless or use very thin layers of sponge dough, between fluffy, filled with light yogurt mixed with real fresh chunks of fruit, or foamy meringue, or light mousse, or pudding, or cream cheese. Perhaps topped with little whipped cream, or fruity jello.
Berries, cherries, plums, grapes, citrus chunks... all fit there just fine making the cake light and naturally but not overpoweringly sweet.
Something like this:
https://www.pinterest.de/pin/371265563023014905
https://www.pinterest.com/gorzajense...ocami/?lp=true
https://www.pinterest.de/Zuckernudel/fruchtkuchen/

vs this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-o5pFxef0G1...oto+2+(50).jpg

Last edited by elnina; 06-05-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 PM

219 posts, read 157,509 times
I've not only heard of a grape pie--I make them when Concord grapes are in season. The grapes are not skinned (the skins add the proper tartness and color to the pie), but I do seed them by cutting the grapes in half before using a toothpick to pop out the seeds. Seeding grapes is a good project to do outside while wearing an old shirt as it can get messy. The resulting pies are fantastic--especially with a dollop of homemade peanut butter ice cream served on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink