Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Go organic.

Here are the ingredients in Three Twins Madagascar Vanilla ice cream:

organic milk, organic cream, organic cane sugar, organic egg yolks, organic nonfat milk, organic vanilla extract.

Yum!
Or any of a number of "natural" ice creams that are probably cheaper. Just read the label. The shorter the list, the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Quote:
I don't think it was about the "soda" itself, but the infringement on peoples rights in general!

Precisely that.

Not to mention the black market that probably would have developed, I would imagine largely in the suburban fringes on Long Island, for drink cups >16 oz.!

Old 06-12-2018, 03:51 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
"Natural" is not a meaningful word as it is used in the processed foods industry.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
"Natural" is not a meaningful word as it is used in the processed foods industry.
And we get to where we are today, where the umbrella company, Unilever, makes both my Old Spice deoderant AND Ragu pasta sauce...

Old 06-12-2018, 04:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
^^^^Glad to know there is another "sensible" person out there that loves sugar and over the top things. I cannot eat sweets because I can't quit. I just go C.R.A.Z.Y. I have to look away or I fear I will get up and charge at whatever goodie is out there or on a person's plate.
haha I know the feeling! that's why I have to eat sweets, because I'll obsess like crazy!

I really love the presentation of over the top desserts as much as I love eating them.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We buy Mexican Coke (in glass bottles) when we buy it at all. It's made with sugar, not corn syrup, and is readily available here.

Trader Joe's also does not use high fructose corn syrup in its products. That's one of the main reasons I do most of my shopping there; the food just tastes better. I make a lot of things from scratch too, but when I do buy something ready-made, I can't take the corn syrup any more.
I mentioned that in an earlier post how much better soda tastes with just sugar and no high fructose corn syrup.

I found out that there is only one bottling plant in Mexico that makes Coca-Cola with only sugar and no high frutose corn syrup. Unfortunately, that type of coke is only available here during a certain time of year. So is high corn syrup free Pepsi and Slice. When I see it, I buy about 4 bottles which will last me an entire year until the following season when it is available again.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So the high-fructose corn syrup is actually sweeter than -- or at least tastes sweeter than -- sugar itself; is that the conclusion (and the problem)?
I think so. I think it gives the food a more artificial after-taste.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:37 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
And we get to where we are today, where the umbrella company, Unilever, makes both my Old Spice deoderant AND Ragu pasta sauce...

While I agree to an extent with your comment, Old Spice is part of Procter & Gamble and Ragu is owned by privately held Japanese conglomerate, The Mizkan Group.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 06-14-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I mentioned that in an earlier post how much better soda tastes with just sugar and no high fructose corn syrup.

I found out that there is only one bottling plant in Mexico that makes Coca-Cola with only sugar and no high frutose corn syrup. Unfortunately, that type of coke is only available here during a certain time of year. So is high corn syrup free Pepsi and Slice. When I see it, I buy about 4 bottles which will last me an entire year until the following season when it is available again.

You make a good point. Some Mexican Coke contains corn syrup ... and unfortunately that is the case in some of the border towns like Laredo, Tucson, and El Paso.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Growing up, our family never had deserts. I became a sweets freak and would almost pass out when a friend would share a cookie at lunch. Frosting is a particular weakness. There is no such thing as too sweet, too sugary or too rich for me. I have been on a healthy eating program for a long time and do not eat sugar (but I darned well sure would if I could).

This is similar to a discussion I had with my wife earlier this week.

We were talking about our college days where alcohol was readily flowing. Those of us whose parents drank alcoholic beverages and made no big deal about it rarely went out and drank to excess in college. The students who came from non-drinking families were often the ones getting hammered.

I think that moderation in everything is the key.

My FIL's favorite dish is vanilla ice cream topped with honey and maple syrup ... and he just turned 85 with no major health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink