U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 32,703 times

Advertisements

we enjoy our coffee made the old way via stovetop percolator.
we recently got a new cabela stainless steel pot which is great BUT our 'old' coffee (maxwell house 39 oz 'cans') tends to have some grounds go into the pot since the grind is more towards drip than percolator sized.
we know that we could buy beans and grind either at store or home BUT that's 2-3 times the price of walmart bought maxwell house.
what to do? change coffee? filter coffee? accept our fate?
thanks ahead for all your help....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 05:43 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,555,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk1950 View Post
we enjoy our coffee made the old way via stovetop percolator.
we recently got a new cabela stainless steel pot which is great BUT our 'old' coffee (maxwell house 39 oz 'cans') tends to have some grounds go into the pot since the grind is more towards drip than percolator sized.
we know that we could buy beans and grind either at store or home BUT that's 2-3 times the price of walmart bought maxwell house.
what to do? change coffee? filter coffee? accept our fate?
thanks ahead for all your help....
I haven't had percolator coffee in so long I forget the mechanism involved, but if you could put a filter in there somewhere that would do the trick. You've made me curious about percolators. I haven't seen a percolator since I was a kid and am interested in trying that. Where can you buy percolators today? DM me if you don't mind. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 PM

26,471 posts, read 26,246,282 times
I have one of those! I also have the Farberware perc and love it. Those coffeemakers with the glass carafe just dont seem to keep the coffee hot enough, or they break, and I just dont like the thought of plastic parts for coffee. Give me percolated coffee, when possible, any day!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,381,313 times
Both Melitta and Rockline (BrewRite) make percolator paper coffee filters, and Sunbeam makes one of cloth.

I see they are all available at Amazon, but you can search the web for other suppliers. Walmart has an online catalog too, and it has a bigger selection than their stores, though more of the high end stuff.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 16,880,470 times
Glad I stumbled on this thread...

We've used the "farberware" SS 8 cup percolators for about 10 years...up until last year...

Problem is after a couple of years, the coffee doesn't seem to get as "hot" as it used to.

I bought a B&D coffee machine w/the glass carafe from Walmart. It makes a good cup of coffee and I can set the timer for the morning which I really like, but again the coffee is not "hot" enough for my liking.

I can't use "one cup filters" because frankly its a pain in the a** to make individual cups, which I don't want to do in the morning...

Its really frustrating. If I could get a "commercial" coffee pot (you know, the ones they use in diners where the coffee is scorching hot) I would, but my wife would have a fit...

I'm thinking of going back to the farberware...

Old 03-30-2008, 02:14 AM

to synopisi

cabela's sells stainless steel in a variety of sizes.
target sells a 'copco' which is pretty good.
these are both stovetop types

Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 AM

the farberwear electrics suck since the company was sold.
the 'new' pots crap out, and don't get coffee hot.
we have a 20 year old 4 cupper which wont die.
conversely the 'new' 12 cuppers crap out after 2-3months of daily use.

thanks litlux....i'll look a bit at filters in the walmart.......

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM

21,956 posts, read 23,152,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Glad I stumbled on this thread...

We've used the "farberware" SS 8 cup percolators for about 10 years...up until last year...

Problem is after a couple of years, the coffee doesn't seem to get as "hot" as it used to.

I bought a B&D coffee machine w/the glass carafe from Walmart. It makes a good cup of coffee and I can set the timer for the morning which I really like, but again the coffee is not "hot" enough for my liking.

I can't use "one cup filters" because frankly its a pain in the a** to make individual cups, which I don't want to do in the morning...

Its really frustrating. If I could get a "commercial" coffee pot (you know, the ones they use in diners where the coffee is scorching hot) I would, but my wife would have a fit...

I'm thinking of going back to the farberware...
We have had the Farberware for 20 plus years...only having to replace it two times through the years. It seems pretty hot to me. The best part of it is you can use just about any kind of coffee and it still tastes good. My son bought us one of those new coffee makers that makes grinds your coffee fresh and also has the timer for morning but I still use and like my good old Farberware!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:05 AM

18,483 posts, read 39,408,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I haven't had percolator coffee in so long I forget the mechanism involved, but if you could put a filter in there somewhere that would do the trick. You've made me curious about percolators. I haven't seen a percolator since I was a kid and am interested in trying that. Where can you buy percolators today? DM me if you don't mind. Thanks!
I have seen 20 year old percolators for sale on ebay that were still in the box.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,185,982 times
percolating is prolly the WORST way to make coffee...
boiling and reboiling anything isnt ideal. (X-wife exception)

make coffee the way Brasilians do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink