Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:51 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What color cheese is used on Mexican food in NC?

If it's white, it might be cotija or queso fresco or chihuahua or asadero or even jack cheese.

We can buy any mexican cheese we want in Texas too. At any Wal-Mart or one of the many Mexican grocery stores near me.

This is a good article on Mexican cheeses:

https://www.epicurious.com/holidays-...heeses-article

Thanks for the site...

..it's white here in NC...it's not jack...think it's cotija or queso fresco...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Are chilaquiles available in New York or the Hispanic suburbs?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
In parts of Texas, chilaquiles are used to refer to migas. If the menu has both migas and chilaquiles, you'll get what's described below. If the menu only lists chilaquiles, you have to clarify exactly what you'll get.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/re...ked-questions/

Quote:
What is the difference between migas and chilaquiles? Both of these breakfast dishes contain fried tortillas, but the similarities end there. Migas are basically crushed tostadas scrambled with eggs, tomatoes, chiles, and onions and topped with cheese. Either a pan-cooked dish or a casserole, chilaquiles consist of fried tortillas simmered in a sauce; they can be topped with cheese and crema. Confusingly, restaurants sometimes use the names interchangeably.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are chilaquiles available in New York or the Hispanic suburbs?
I see them all over the place in northern NJ -- much more often than in south Texas. Chilaquiles must be from a region of Mexico where more people immigrate to the northeast.

I have enjoyed chilaquiles de pollo verdes at the following restaurants:

Parsippany: Garibaldi Peru-Mex (Really liked this place; sorry I don't get out that way any more)

Maplewood: Cactus Charly

West Orange (haven't tried this, but people rave): Folklore Artisanal Tacos

Old 06-24-2018, 11:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
These are the ingredients we use and add grilled/baked chicken thighs, cut or torn into strips.

1/2 Cup vegetable oil
12 Small or 6 large, stale corn or flour tortillas, cut into 1" strips

4 Medium tomatoes, finely chopped. about 1 pound
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Poblano, 2 jalapeno or 4 serrano chiles, stemed, seeded and finely chopped

1 tsp dried epazote or dried oregano (preferrably Mexican)
1-2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 Cup water ( making the Chicken Chilaquiles, use chicken stock in place of the water)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Cup grated semi-soft cheese (Monterey Jack, Cotija, Queso Fresco or a combination, about 3oz)
1 Cup Mexican crema or creme fraiche
1/4 Cup Copped cilantro/corriander leaves (optional)
A pinch or 2 of freshly ground cumin.
That looks like a lot of work!

It sounds like it would be so yummy (minus the chicken, I'm a veggie). I would absolutely try it even though it's probably so bad for you?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:36 PM

1,371 posts, read 667,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
That looks like a lot of work!

It sounds like it would be so yummy (minus the chicken, I'm a veggie). I would absolutely try it even though it's probably so bad for you?

The original recipe is actually from a vegetarian Mexican cookbook. We just added the chicken. I don't think it's really bad for you per se. It's not something a non-extremely physically active person should eat every day but there's nothing wrong with having it on occasion.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 PM

187 posts, read 128,506 times
Oh man yes i love when my mom makes that. I don't eat it often...maybe if i were braver in the kitchen if attempt them

Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
Chilaquiles - one of my favorite things to make for breakfast. Like maybe today! Mine is more the migas style.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
BTW...which Mexican cheese is used for cheese enchiladas and on top of refried beans? I love it but not sure what it is...?
I know others quoted and answered your question but it's not Cotija, it's queso fresco. Cotija is also used on refried beans but it is a dried cheese much like Parmesan. Cotija comes in blocks but is grated and Queso fresco also comes in blocks but crumbles on it's own quite easily. It also has a high moisture content.

What Is Queso Fresco?

Cotija

Old 06-28-2018, 05:56 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
I make chilaquiles all the time, at least once every two weeks. Chilaquiles in New Mexico are different in that we use red chile sauce and not red or green salsa to make them. We also don't make them with eggs mixed in like most others do, although many here will top them with a fried egg. They are also usually made for dinner here rather than breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink