Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:19 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

I don't much like fish and I will eat cod, if it is true cod and not something cheaper labeled as cod. Cod is mild, has a good texture and is much less likely to have bones in it.

Trout is a landlocked salmon . It has more fat than cod does. The flesh should be pinkish in color. It will be milder than ocean caught salmon, but I still don't like it.

Rainbow trout is land locked steelhead salmon. In a restaurant, it is almost guaranteed to be farm raised. My family fisherman does catch and release on trout which are stocked fish because he doesn't like farm raised trout. Only if he is fishing some place where he knows the trout aren't stocked will he keep and eat trout.

If they have kokonee, with is landlocked Sockeye salmon, that is very mild for anything in the salmon family, and the meat is barely pink ( the deeper red the color of salmon, the higher the fat content and the richer the meat )

Halibut is a good choice for someone who isn't crazy about fish (except that it is awfully expensive). It has a very distinct pronounced flavor, but it isn't a fishy flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Very true about Halibut. It was the only fish my husband would eat.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Cod, halibut, haddock, or flounder or I'm ordering a steak.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I like both, but for different reasons. Cod I prefer battered and fried like fish and chips or as a base for chowder. It has the body to stand up to it. Trout, which is most likely farm raised in a restaurant, is a very mild tasting colder water fish. I really don't like my trout fried because I don't think it can stand up to the batter, just too light and mild. Favorite ways for trout are grilled or broiled, with maybe some lemon juice. It's really a very delicate flavored fish that will quickly get lost in most batters and sauces.

Not a real fan of sea bass though it's pretty popular these days. Favorite salt water fish are halibut, snapper, and swordfish, though good tuna is really good. While I also love good salmon, I'm not a big fan of farmed salmon. They just don't have the richness and depth of flavor that wild salmon does. For freshwater, I'm also a fan of walleye and crappie, but really dislike catfish and tilapia. Don't know why so many menus feature both, but they both taste like mud to me.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:12 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Cod caught that day is amazing. Cod in my local fish market a few miles from the largest fishing port in the country is good. The fish was swimming 2 or 3 days ago. Older than that and the quality drops off quickly. I don’t think most people have been exposed to really fresh cod.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I usually prefer cod just for the texture, but smoked trout is also really good. Do we get an update later lisa?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Cod, halibut, haddock, or flounder or I'm ordering a steak.
^^^Those four, plus black sea bass, red snapper, and pollack - with an occasional porgy.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:15 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
^^^Those four, plus black sea bass, red snapper, and pollack - with an occasional porgy.
Well, if we're just listing favorite fish, I'd go with mahi mahi, ono, swordfish, and opakapaka. I'll pass on the ahi.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:06 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I had halibut for the first time last year at Delmonico's, the famous NYC steakhouse.

I don't eat meat but I eat fish, and I was having lunch with my two Muslim bosses and their Jewish friend who is also my former coworker. None of them could eat meat there because it is neither kosher nor halal, so we all got halibut.

So a Christian, a Jew, and two Muslims were having halibut at New York's oldest steakhouse...it sounds like the beginning of a joke.

Since then I also had halibut at a fish n chips place. It was really good.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
I prefer cod deep fried and trout pan fried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink