Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Flat Top Grill Vs Traditional Gas Grill
Flat Top Grill 1 16.67%
Traditional Gas Grill 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Hoping to get some opinions and experiences. Bought a new house and now it is time to get a grill. I have always used a traditional gas or charcoal grill but am interested in the flat top grills made by Blackstone and Camp Chef. I like the versatility they bring and frankly wouldn't mind trying something new/different than what I am used to.

I'm wanting to know if anyone has made the switch from a traditional gas or charcoal grill to a flat top grill. Or would I be best served to have both (I'd really rather buy one or the other) or should just stick to the flat top?

We typically cooks steaks, chicken, corn, and fish in packets on the grill.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Or would I be best served to have both (I'd really rather buy one or the other) or should just stick to the flat top?
!

Each type - gas, charcoal/lump, flat top, pellet, smoker, etc has its advantages and disadvantages. For a casual user, a gas grill is probably the easiest/quickest to use.

I have a Kamado style grill and added a Blackstone when WalMart had a close out special last year. I really like it for smash burgers, bacon, etc, but for general use, I would go with a gas or charcoal.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We have gas and a flat top grill that can be placed on top of the regular grates. We also have a cast iron grill that can be put on top. Both purchased from Amazon.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Wood, baby! No substitute for wood!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,461 times
I recently bought a CI plancha/comal for my BGE. I can use it as a flat top over hardwood charcoal or briquettes. I don't own a gas grill.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I have three and none of them are in the poll.

Charboil Electric
Weber 22" Kettle (Charcoal)
Offset Smoker (Wood or Lump Charcoal)

They all have their uses depending on the situation. I would take the electric over the gas any day. Easy as pie and no propane to buy.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I like grill marks on most things so gas grill if you really don't like the flavor of food done over charcoal and wood. BGE or a knock off is the only way I grill and smoke now.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
He use both flat top and charcoal. Spoiled brat does not like cooking on a gas grill.Of course he doesn't like cooking period.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Hi Folks,

Hoping to get some opinions and experiences. Bought a new house and now it is time to get a grill. I have always used a traditional gas or charcoal grill but am interested in the flat top grills made by Blackstone and Camp Chef. I like the versatility they bring and frankly wouldn't mind trying something new/different than what I am used to.

I'm wanting to know if anyone has made the switch from a traditional gas or charcoal grill to a flat top grill. Or would I be best served to have both (I'd really rather buy one or the other) or should just stick to the flat top?

We typically cooks steaks, chicken, corn, and fish in packets on the grill.

Thanks!
I would get a traditional grill, and then buy a cast iron flat-top to go on it. There are times you want the grill, and times you want a flat-top. That way you have both.

BTW, I have a Camp Chef pellet grill. Well made product, you can't go wrong with Camp Chef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Wood, baby! No substitute for wood!
I have five smokers & grills, including a stick-burner and a pellet grill. The pellet grill is hands-down the best smoker I have. Just made ribs last week, and they were the best I've done in years of BBQing. Stick-burners are fine, and I have an Old Country, excellent model. But the pellet grill is much more user friendly, and the results are better. I also can reverse-sear steaks on my pellet grill. I'm doing a brisket tomorrow on it.

But a pellet grill is still using 100% wood, just in pellet form. So you are right!

[sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the ribs until we were 90% done]
Attached Thumbnails
Flat Top Grill vs Traditional Gas Grill-20180707_202413.jpg   Flat Top Grill vs Traditional Gas Grill-20180720_194359.jpg  

Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I would get a traditional grill, and then buy a cast iron flat-top to go on it. There are times you want the grill, and times you want a flat-top. That way you have both.

BTW, I have a Camp Chef pellet grill. Well made product, you can't go wrong with Camp Chef.

I have five smokers & grills, including a stick-burner and a pellet grill. The pellet grill is hands-down the best smoker I have. Just made ribs last week, and they were the best I've done in years of BBQing. Stick-burners are fine, and I have an Old Country, excellent model. But the pellet grill is much more user friendly, and the results are better. I also can reverse-sear steaks on my pellet grill. I'm doing a brisket tomorrow on it.

But a pellet grill is still using 100% wood, just in pellet form. So you are right!

[sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the ribs until we were 90% done]
Are you telling us there were 10 times as many ribs when you started? Why didn't you invite me over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink