Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is a good link! Haven't finished them all, but I was just shocked to read that Avocado Toast popped up in 1993 in Australia. I first heard of it last year.
Well being raised in So. CA, and most of us had avocado trees we have eaten Avocado toast for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well being raised in So. CA, and most of us had avocado trees we have eaten Avocado toast for years.
That is interesting. I have never seen an avocado tree.

They just weren't a food we were familiar with here on the east coast when I was growing up. Of course now everything is available everywhere. I first had avocado toast (a bagel actually) last year when my boss got a bagel with avocado and tomato on it then asked me if I wanted it because he had to go to a meeting at another location. It was good! Having it on the bread/toast counteracts the mushiness.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is interesting. I have never seen an avocado tree.

They just weren't a food we were familiar with here on the east coast when I was growing up. Of course now everything is available everywhere. I first had avocado toast (a bagel actually) last year when my boss got a bagel with avocado and tomato on it then asked me if I wanted it because he had to go to a meeting at another location. It was good! Having it on the bread/toast counteracts the mushiness.
It's one of the few mushy foods I like, the buttery richness counteracts the mushiness. Though as with many fruits, I'm quite picky, and want a perfectly soft-firm one.

And I grew up in California too, so I had a big head start on you eating avocados.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The first item on the list is how Nathan's hot dogs, from Coney Island, created the 'hot dog as we know it', in 1916, and the second item on the list claims that one year later

1.Year: 1916

Restaurant: Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs

Coney Island, New York Nathan's [Hot Dogs] set the mold for every American restaurant that would follow in its dirty-water wake

2.Year: 1917

Restaurant: American Coney Island
Detroit, Michigan

Technically, the coney dog -- which has absolutely nothing to do with New York, thank you very much --

Was this article written by someone with a split personality disorder?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The first item on the list is how Nathan's hot dogs, from Coney Island, created the 'hot dog as we know it', in 1916, and the second item on the list claims that one year later

1.Year: 1916

Restaurant: Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs

Coney Island, New York Nathan's [Hot Dogs] set the mold for every American restaurant that would follow in its dirty-water wake

2.Year: 1917

Restaurant: American Coney Island
Detroit, Michigan

Technically, the coney dog -- which has absolutely nothing to do with New York, thank you very much --

Was this article written by someone with a split personality disorder?
The Coney dog isn't from NY and it's not served the way a NY hot dog is. The article was pretty clear.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Well THIS is going to keep me up late reading!!

THANK YOU, elnina!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Read it all.

Interesting, the claim that chicken & waffles has Los Angeles roots, since it gets a lot of southern/soul food play these days.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:58 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The Coney dog isn't from NY and it's not served the way a NY hot dog is. The article was pretty clear.
I am not arguing that Michigan's coney dog is served the way a NY hot dog is, but it is interesting that the business model of serving a frankfurter on a bun in New York on Coney Island was witnessed by Greek Macedonian immigrants passing through Ellis Island, who then settled in Michigan and suddenly Michigan has a frankfurter, on a bun, (with the addition of a meat sauce) and mysteriously called "Coney Island" hot dogs.

To say, and I quote, "which has absolutely nothing to do with New York, thank you very much" is plainly false.

That would be like a pizzeria in New York saying that pizza has 'absolutely nothing to do with Italy, thank you very much'.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
88. Brisket
Year: 2009
Restaurant: Franklin Barbecue
Austin, Texas

----
2009? I think Brisket had been around much earlier than that in Texas BBQ.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:35 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
88. Brisket
Year: 2009
Restaurant: Franklin Barbecue
Austin, Texas

----
2009? I think Brisket had been around much earlier than that in Texas BBQ.
And even longer on a hard roll with gravy at Jewish Delis in NYC!

I looked again. The article doesn't say it was all original dishes, but also versions that had some influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink